advertisement

Is it time for active speakers?

Dirac offer a free trial, even if you ultimately decide not to purchase it is interesting to see the measurement plot of your room.
Keith

In terms of professional studio monitors there is too much choice! Must be hundreds to choose from.

366 to choose from here https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

Although some are powered rather than active.

Don't equate £100 powered speakers with professional actives. These are aimed at the budget amateur music makers. This market can be terribly anti hifi. I've given out countless recommendations to use the speakers someone already has (an ok KEF or B&W) for simple monitors for the argument that they're "hifi" speaker thrown back at me. Even the saving of any extra spend didn't work. They had to have the KRK (or whatever brand).

A slight aside to the Beolabs. They are a tour de force but I have a feeling that some of their expense has gone into making them do many tricks. This is the advantage and ATC has, it's not trying to be a universal speaker.

This isn't to say the Beolab isn't great, it just give the hint of a new Bugatti - "a car to drive to the shops or the race track" and it ends up costing a fortune. If you want a VW for shopping get a Golf and get a porker for the track. (I understand the cache for some of the price and brand, it's the concept that causes some of the expense).

Don't equate £100 powered speakers with professional actives. These are aimed at the budget amateur music makers. This market can be terribly anti hifi. I've given out countless recommendations to use the speakers someone already has (an ok KEF or B&W) for simple monitors for the argument that they're "hifi" speaker thrown back at me. Even the saving of any extra spend didn't work. They had to have the KRK (or whatever brand).

A slight aside to the Beolabs. They are a tour de force but I have a feeling that some of their expense has gone into making them do many tricks. This is the advantage and ATC has, it's not trying to be a universal speaker.

This isn't to say the Beolab isn't great, it just give the hint of a new Bugatti - "a car to drive to the shops or the race track" and it ends up costing a fortune. If you want a VW for shopping get a Golf and get a porker for the track. (I understand the cache for some of the price and brand, it's the concept that causes some of the expense).

The Beolabs and Kii's use fundamentally more advanced technology to create their 'controlled directivity ' ATCs are a solid traditional active loudspeaker.
Keith

I'm happy to generalise that a lot of the £100 powered speakers would struggle against a lot of modest hifi speakers. I'm not saying they're useless but this is a hifi forum and the bar has to be at a certain level. I've heard some from the regular brand names.

I've heard a reasonable number of studio actives from Genelecs and the like. I've worked with Genelecs for the past few years. These replaced a mix of Tannoy, dynaudio, PMC and NS 10s.

The Beolabs and Kii's use fundamentally more advanced technology to create their 'controlled directivity ' ATCs are a solid traditional active loudspeaker.
Keith

I understand that. My point was something different. Put a Beolab in a reasonable room with 2 ch stereo from a set listening position. Now tell me if it has unused features.thats why I said it was a tour de force and that an ATC type active might well do enough for many.

The Kii's don't have the 'wide' beam or 'omni' modes that the Beolabs have just the 'narrow'. I understand your point, personally I am not fond of 'omni' but great for parties.
B&O wanted to make a statement and the multiple drivers/ DSP allow you to implement those functions.
B&O are working on a smaller model it will be interesting to see exactly what is included.
Keith

Not sure what you mean by "Powered speakers are just miniaturised passive hifi's".

"Miniaturised" is not a description I would use to describe Meridian speaker systems.

All I mean is that technically "powered" can refer to just having an amp built in but there is still a passive crossover although I guess sometimes the terms are used interchangeably.

Hmm, interesting. Got any examples of speakers like this?

I'm happy to generalise that a lot of the £100 powered speakers would struggle against a lot of modest hifi speakers. I'm not saying they're useless but this is a hifi forum and the bar has to be at a certain level. I've heard some from the regular brand names.

I've heard a reasonable number of studio actives from Genelecs and the like. I've worked with Genelecs for the past few years. These replaced a mix of Tannoy, dynaudio, PMC and NS 10s.

Powered speakers are not the same as active, though.

I do understand the difference between powered and active. That's why I differentiated.

If there are great sounding super cheap speakers, then tell us! The Fostex ones are ok. The obvious names are fairly reliable but at the cheaper end of the scale there are still plenty of hifi speakers that will show them what's what. I don't mind that you've heard different but you haven't heard the JBLs you recommend! I've spend hundreds of hours wth Genelecs.

I wonder why ProAc (ProAc means Professional Acoustics) have never brought out (to the best of my knowledge) a pro 'active' studio monitor? The Studio 100/SM100 is a very well regarded and mature design, used in a great many professional recording studios throughout the world. I wonder why they have never released an active version of it?

Perhaps Raj could ask Stewart, a passive loudspeaker's quality is determined by the amp used with it, a loudspeaker must be driven properly.
Keith

I wonder why ProAc (ProAc means Professional Acoustics) have never brought out (to the best of my knowledge) a pro 'active' studio monitor? The Studio 100/SM100 is a very well regarded and mature design, used in a great many professional recording studios throughout the world. I wonder why they have never released an active version of it?

I suspect it's because ProAc doesn't have the neccesary electronics expertise.

I'm happy to generalise that a lot of the £100 powered speakers would struggle against a lot of modest hifi speakers.

I'd say a lot of £100 hifi speakers + amps (where the combination of speakers and amp is £100) would struggle against a lot of £100 powered speakers.

advertisement

Back