advertisement

Is it time for active speakers?

I've been reading this thread with interest as I have ATC SCM 40A's which for me were a significant improvement over the passive versions I previously owned.

Somewhat off topic I appreciate but related. I'm looking to build an extension next spring and create a dedicated room plus expand the kitchen. I'm looking at going out approx 4.5 to 5.0m. Width wise i'm looking at around 4.0m. Does anyone know what the ideal proportions are?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

There really aren't any 'ideal' proportions, generally the advice given is not to make the ceiling height half the width or the width half the length etc etc.
Keith

There's an interesting article here. The classically recommended ratios are 1:1.4:1.9 but the article proposes better solutions. But if you are building a room it's worth considering non parallel surfaces if you can, which reduce some problems, and also worth finding out how you might turn the walls into bass absorbers by incorporating lots of absorption behind the plasterboard. You certainly don't want voids behind plasterboard, or under floorboards - they are just big resonant drums.

advertisement

Back