advertisement

Interstellar!

mark.

does that famous gramophone scene make shawshank redemption a sci-fi film?

vuk.

I thought someone might spot that ;)

It's a list of my all time top films regardless of genre.

2001 leaves the end open to interpretation whereas Interstellar ties up all the threads and provides an ending and closure.

On one level I thought it a cop-out but then I was prepared to forgive/believe because of the quality of the rest of the film.

I couldn't get past all the 'stupid' in this movie. For example, given a choice of which planet to try first, they go for the one which will waste 7 years for each hour they spend down there. To compound things, they don't bother taking a look from orbit, so it's a big surprise when they land and find killer, tsunami sized waves.

Humanity needs bold risk takers, whether it's Mathew McConnaughey jumping into another planet's ocean, or Matt Damon growing spuds in other people's poop on Mars, not to mention Yuri Gagarin or that small dog they sent up before him.

I still love it, watched it a lot of times. There are not many films IMO that you can watch a lot of times but this is one of them.

I am not getting this concern over if its for 'real'. I like Alien as well, lets face it we could pull any film to bits on the technicals.

I don't think anyone really cares if a film is scientifically accurate or not- but as the director and producers and actors were droning on about how they had scientists as advisors you'd have thought they'd have made some effort in that area.

There were many other reasons it was a pile of bantha do do..

Stephen.

Well look, we have what we have today in terms of main stream films, in amongst the other turds that came out in the same year it stands out. Its a good film, mostly concerned with relationships and I thought it was a great few hours to while away.

The last film I got excited about was Prometheus, so, you know perhaps my expectations are low.

Humanity needs bold risk takers, whether it's Mathew McConnaughey jumping into another planet's ocean, or Matt Damon growing spuds in other people's poop on Mars, not to mention Yuri Gagarin or that small dog they sent up before him.

This made me laugh. Don't forget Major Tim and his toilet on the ISS.

Stephen

The last film I got excited about was Prometheus, so, you know perhaps my expectations are low.

Indeed :)

I love SF but it doesn't translate to film very well in general.

I have high hopes for The Expanse TV series that I'm sure will be dashed.

Steohen

I have high hopes for The Expanse TV series that I'm sure will be dashed.

i am here to dash them for you. chiselled-body jock types as spaceship engineers. detective guy in miniature dick tracy hat and 1940s new-york accent.

oh and this one is really believable as a tech geek:

798full-dominique-tipper.jpg

her accent helps on that count too.

vuk.

I started watching 'The 100' the other day, I made it to mid way through the 3rd episode, just so very bad.

i am here to dash them for you. chiselled-body jock types as spaceship engineers. detective guy in miniature dick tracy hat and 1940s new-york accent.

oh and this one is really believable as a tech geek:

798full-dominique-tipper.jpg

her accent helps on that count too.

vuk.

Nice, er, dress...
;)

She's going to be so embarrassed when she realises her dress is on back to front.

(I sometimes do it with jumpers and socks)

gary.

do you enjoy "young adult" novels?

vuk.

Alas Vuk. the last time I read young adult novels was when I was young, and it was actually the Riftwar Saga so probably we are on different pages.

After looking upon The 100 with utter bemusement, I looked it up and found out its the same people that did 90125, so there you go.

After looking upon The 100 with utter bemusement, I looked it up and found out its the same people that down 90125, so there you go.

gary.

i don;t understand what you've written, but i suspect its something to do with hollywood's leftist agenda.

vuk.

advertisement

Back