advertisement

Interstellar!

Tenson

Trade: AudioSmile
This thread might already exist even though I've not made it yet. :)

I watched Interstellar tonight and I must say wow! It is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. I had mostly heard negative comments about it so perhaps that made it more impressive for me, but the detail of the environment the film constructs and the boundaries the story crosses are quite something IMO. How many years did the story span?

I particularly liked the robot designs; that at first seem improbable but you start to realise they are very serious and well thought out. I also liked the ending that depicted expanded dimensional perception better than 2001 ever did (I never understood the ending, being about 10 when I watched it).

I didn't like the fact they missed the giant waves on the first planet before they set down - no observation first?

If you ain't watched it, get on and do so! :D

Any film that has the line
"maybe love is the fifth dimension"
Cannot be taken seriously.

There was some mention in the media whereby schools are considering showing Interstellar to physics students as the visual depiction of the black hole and the way time alters in and around it is scientifically accurate.

And I did see it at the cinema and bought it as soon as the blu Ray was released as I think it's a great film too.

I still couldn't quite get to understand towards the end when it turns out to be him altering the sands for his daughter to find. We are told earlier in the film that you cannot go back in time and as this had already happened I cannot work out how he managed to do it without time travel.

But I did immensely enjoy the film.

Yes, I thought it was very good too. I got a bit confused towards the end but the bottle of a rather nice New Zealand Pinot Noir I'd quaffed might have had something to do with it.

The scenes around the black hole were quite amazing and conveyed a strong sense of strangeness and enormous scale.

It's something like.....future humans have solved the riddle of time travel as they live in a 5th dimensional existance. So they can go back and forwards. It is they who set up the push for humans to try and find an alternative planet as the Earth is effectively dying. They constructed the 'tesseract' thingy so that Cooper (and us as viewers) can understand it more simply as it's a projection I believe of Murphy's life from the point of the library in the house. This allows Cooper to give the vital information Murphy needs via the second hand on that watch to solve the equation of time and gravity.

I thought it a very interesting film too, with a few weaknesses that stopped it being perfect, i thought Micheal "cardboard" Caine didn't really cut as a scientist, neither did Anne Hathaway, these bits were miss cast IMO.
Matthew Mcconaughey however brought a presence and intensity to the film to the film that's mesmerising, the whole film - apart from the bit mentioned above - has a slight odd, off kilter quality, no doubt helped by the brilliant soundtrack.

It was half masterpiece, half B-movie. Though some bits were "scientifically accurate" others were absurd, and the question as posited by Neil de Grasse Tyson still remains: there are planets in our solar system that are more hospitable than any of those on the other side of the wormhole, so why not try those first?
I would still say it's a must see for any lover of film, but 2001 it wasn't.

I struggled to tell what Mcconaughey was saying at times, same when he was in True Detective.

It was half masterpiece, half B-movie. Though some bits were "scientifically accurate" others were absurd, and the question as posited by Neil de Grasse Tyson still remains: there are planets in our solar system that are more hospitable than any of those on the other side of the wormhole, so why not try those first?

The planets in our solar system aren't hospitable for humans. The nearest possibility within our galaxy is 13 odd light years away. The fastest man made spacecraft used gravitational assistance of the sun to reach circa 150,000mph. This would take approx 19,000 years to reach our nearest star Proxima Centauri which is 4.22 light years away so circa 57,000 years to a possibly hospitable planet?? And that's just one planet with the next one another 7 light years further on whereas in the film, there were quite a few 'possibilities' within a few years travel on the other side of the worm hole. And the premise was that the a Earth is losing its ability to support/sustain life so a solution had to be found quickly.

This thread might already exist even though I've not made it yet. :)

I watched Interstellar tonight and I must say wow! It is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. I had mostly heard negative comments about it so perhaps that made it more impressive for me, but the detail of the environment the film constructs and the boundaries the story crosses are quite something IMO. How many years did the story span?

I particularly liked the robot designs; that at first seem improbable but you start to realise they are very serious and well thought out. I also liked the ending that depicted expanded dimensional perception better than 2001 ever did (I never understood the ending, being about 10 when I watched it).

I didn't like the fact they missed the giant waves on the first planet before they set down - no observation first?

If you ain't watched it, get on and do so! :D
Everyone hated 2001 on it's release so I take any negatives regarding sci-fi films with a pinch of salt, as you know anything popular cannot be liked, it's just not cool.

Needs to be seen on the big screen though, it still has impact on tv but not the same as a full on huge screen, surround sound experience, it's just one of those films.

I'm with you on this, great film, not in the 2001 league as far as individuality is concerned but a great watch, the sound on dvd let's it down a little in my opinion mind, quite muffled when compared to the latest apes movie back to back.

Felt John Lithgow was underused as per usual, a great actor that deserves more air time in a film such as this.

I suppose everyone will say they guessed the ghost from the start, yeah, right!

I saw it a while back - but wish I hadn't as the copy was very poor and spoilt it for me...

but on the other hand - if a film needs amazing special effects etc then is it that good..?
but I will revisit it at some point...

but I did enjoy Melancholia...

I saw it a while back - but wish I hadn't as the copy was very poor and spoilt it for me...

but on the other hand - if a film needs amazing special effects etc then is it that good..?

Pity you missed it at the cinema, the special effects are the background to this movie I felt, watching any movie on a bad copy is not ideal.

Bit like seeing a live concert in the flesh compared to watching it on a tv, some things need to be this way.

That's funny. I rented the DVD when it was released and was having video issues with my home theatre at the time. I need to rent it again now that it's all working correctly.

Brilliant film. Even better the second time I watched it. My only gripe was ending felt a bit schmaltzy.

Brilliant film. Even better the second time I watched it. My only gripe was ending felt a bit schmaltzy.
Do you mean the last 10 minutes after the actual ending, where all is revealed, if so, I agree, but this is how films are these days , better to switch off after the reveal.

My 3rd watch, only watched the last add on 10 minutes once.

advertisement

Back