advertisement

Interest Check - Sheffield (UK) Bake-Off

EMInence Lab 12 driver. 250watt ice power amp with mini dsp board. At home he uses it with another, boxed 12"

Well, yes, because an OB sub with a small front panel didn't ought to work. But it did.

If rear wave cancellation were as dominant as we are were led to believe with open baffle speakers, then the dipole Quad panels would not have output down to 38 Hz.

There is a myth that Quads do not do bass, however once you feed them with a clean undistorted signal they reward you with clean undistorted bass.

Anyone notice when I switched the sub off ?

The sub actually does very little, just reinforces the bottom octave and provides output for synthesizer bass and organ pipe music if you have such.

Rubbish, it's always trouser flappingingly over the top bass at your gaff. Girl and guitar, with bass. Solo flute, with bass. Classical quartet, with bass. I thought your music collection was all full of dub covers bands the first time I heard it....

;-)

If rear wave cancellation were as dominant as we are were led to believe with open baffle speakers, then the dipole Quad panels would not have output down to 38 Hz.

I've often wondered about that myself. Perhaps the difference between a cone speaker and an electrostatic is due to the dispersion characteristics - the Quads radiate very little to the sides where as cone speakers are largely omni-directional.

Quads have a bigger front panel to be fair. OK, not big when measured in wavelengths at 38 Hz, but bigger than the very small panel seen on Sunday.

Quads have a bigger front panel to be fair. OK, not big when measured in wavelengths at 38 Hz, but bigger than the very small panel seen on Sunday.

Though the excursion of the membrane in the Quad panels is only 1mm front and back where in the Lab 12 Sub is 13mm max.

That's true, it certainly moved some air. I have a couple of spare drivers, I can feel some experiments coming on. I can increase the path length easily by adding side cheeks, the footprint is the same, as is the frontal area.

Rubbish, it's always trouser flappingingly over the top bass at your gaff. Girl and guitar, with bass. Solo flute, with bass. Classical quartet, with bass. I thought your music collection was all full of dub covers bands the first time I heard it....

;-)
Sprayed my drink all over the keyboard..... :))

I guess I should say it's actually very well balanced at Paul's, his subs are very subtle, gently filling in the lower octaves quite seamlessly
It was obvious you were just yanking his chain.... but it was funny. :)

Really enjoyed this session and heard some great new music - one of which I played at the time on spotify but subsequently forgot what it was.

It was some 80s / 90s electronica, had a black and white (not greyscale) album cover, just middle eastern looking female eyes!

Quite melodic with a solid beat but a really unusual sounding woman singing over the top. I think I did some research on it at the time and it was really obscure - a "lost album" that was maybe French or Afghan or something where the guy had discovered this woman by chance...

As you can tell from my description, I've not done a good job of finding it - any help appreciated!

advertisement

Back