advertisement

Interest Check - Sheffield (UK) Bake-Off

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
A friend recently introduced me to a ‘space for hire’ in Sheffield (very near the Sheffield United football ground). It’s a really nice space that is reclaimed from a very old building. There is seating available for a potential 60 people. The best thing about it though is the sound of the room which is very well controlled with very little flutter echo and bodes well for the sound of systems. In addition, there is easy access (the train station is a 10-15 minute walk away, or a short £5.00 taxi ride, and busses also run from the station to nearby streets) local parking (free on a Sunday which is what I am proposing) and no issue with noise annoying the neighbours. There are also separate men’s and ladies toilets and the potential to use an extra space that has a small meeting room and a kitchen. Finally, there is a high quality projector and motorised screen if any use can be made of it. All in all it is probably the best demo space I have ever encountered. There are also a number of nearby pubs and lots of places to eat :).

If interest is sufficient I propose a meeting in a few weeks - cost should be zero to minimal. There is a cost to renting the space but it is quite reasonable and it is likely ‘mates rates’ can be negotiated - so I expect the cost to attendees to be zero or, at worst, under £5.00. I should add this is fun, hobbyist, zero profit undertaking - any charge will simply be to cover room hire.

So, if seriously interested, please post below and please also say what you would like to bring, or hear :).

Depending on the date then yes, I'd be interested (I'm in town). Could bring any of my own modest kit, always like to hear decent 'stats (which I can't have in this house).

We can bring rebuilt Quad 63’s and also some larger Quad’s with custom DSP subs.

Could people state the specific components they could bring (type, model number/name etc.) - thanks ;).

Rpi dac stack, bpbp, mod86p bridged monos, ns1000m and paradise, but not deck that's been boxed up due to house work.

Yes, Garrard 401 Notts Omega in custom plinth as seen at flat p's a while back. Maybe a DIY JLH69 amp, if it's finished. If not, the same in bits in a shoe box.

I will talk to my pal with everything too. If nothing else he can bring some stuff and set up a bring and buy stall.

OK, the stuff below is a little unusual and might be of interest. Could bring any or all.

Speakers would be AOS Studio 12xl clone for mid and upper, RMB 12" vented box for bass. Crossover either analogue (KMTech boards) or minidsp 2x4HD.
Amps old NVA A60 (mid & upper), Aaron Milleninum no3 (bass).
DACs Northern Fidelity 32/384 and/or Khadas Tone Board (if it's boxed up by then).
Vincent CD3 if anyone wants to play HDCDs.

Can't do Aug 11 or Sep 1,15 (See "Settle down now" in Off Topic for the latter)

Definitely interested but in a nylon 'boot' for another 4 weeks after rupturing an achilles tendon. If after that then could bring a couple of Sony CD players - X7 and 337 and Pioneer A27 amp.

Aye, deffo interested but have limited kit that I guess anyone would be interested in,though happy enough to just listen to what's there.

Big Dave is in, he would like to bring a Phase Linear with more wpc than anyone needs. As discussed he may bring a few bits to sell if people are buying.

Thanks Ynwoan,
It was half a joke, he's obviously mostly interested in coming along, listening to other stuff, mixing with likeminded souls, and showing off his mahoosive Phase Linear that few if any there will have seen. It is however a running joke that he has a houseful of kit that he needs to dispose of, and if he’s going then it would be a shame to have the conversation “Oh, you’ve got a MegaWatt 500 Willy Waver power amp with 200 KW/8ohms pc that quadruples its power into 4R, 2R, 1R because it can break the laws of physics, you’re selling it because you also own the 750, what a shame that you live on the other side of the country, otherwise I’d have it” when he could easily put it in the car.

Hi Mark.

Sounds good - could bring the dragon slaying AX-Z1010TN along.................
Have you got a date in mind?

No date yet mate, I’ll have to speak to Paul and Si (as the whole thing is really their idea), particularly Paul as he will be negotiating the cost of hire and knows all about football dates and stuff - will hopefully see him/them this weekend.

Hes coming round to talk kitchens tonight, well discuss dates in next two months then.

advertisement

Back