advertisement

Integrated Recommendations for Vinyl Source

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
I’d be grateful for some recommendations for an integrated amp for my system. Source is the Well Tempered Versalex with a Dyna 17D3 and speakers are Revel F206 floorstanders. Must admit that considering my relatively small listening room, these speakers are quite big. They sound good though with no boom.
The room is roughly 3m x 4m. I have a very nice phono stage in the American made Nighthawk (battery powered).
I recently listened to the Naim SuperNait 2, the Rega Aethos and the Elicit. The Naim is not for me and the Elicit was my preferred amp at the demo. Surprised me too.
I’ve read a glowing review of the Cambridge Audio 851A in Stereophile which piqued my interest. Is this amp worth investigating? I’d have to travel quite far to hear one. Any other recommendations at or around £1.2, perhaps up to £1.5k. New or used. The Elicit would obviously be used. The Aethos.....wishful thinking. Currently using a Leema Elements integrated which is obviously outclassed in this system. I listen primarily to rock music and some Jazz. All cabling is Chord Shawline.
Thanks in advance.
Peter

Would have to be used based on your budget. Your current amp retails for about 1500 so new would just be a sideways step

Thanks Mauro! I was just wondering how to bring it up...

You see, Mr Magoo, I sell EWA for Colin Wonfor so I'm pretty biased. But I also use Revel F-208 as my home speakers, and I know how the Claymore will sound on them. It has an exceptional phono stage on it too.

I recently listened to the Naim SuperNait 2, the Rega Aethos and the Elicit. The Naim is not for me and the Elicit was my preferred amp at the demo. Surprised me too.

indeed surprising, Aethos should hopefully better a Elicit/R
Could it be other issues or crap front source ?

Thank you all for your suggestions. As mentioned in my original posting, I currently use a Leema integrated that would make a superb hub for anyone who uses a range of sources, including AV. It has a DAC which woukd appeal to many, but not to me. So my thinking is that the Leema is perhaps a Jack of all trades and master of none. The current price for the Leema is £1695. In reality, I’m looking ar used alternatives as part of my aim to maximise sound quality of my vinyl source.
I was surprised that I preferred the Elicit R to the Aethos. It’s just what I experienced at the dem. The source was a Rega P8 and the Rega Apheta 2.
A used Roksan Blak may be a good option, as would the Musical Fidelity suggestion. I could aim higher and seek out a used MF integrated like the M6si?
Very interested in The Claymore and I’ll be contacting ABCaudio soon to find out more.
Has anyone any experience of the Cambridge 851A?
Thanks for all your suggestions to date.
Peter

What did you think of the Aethos? I've only heard it once in a dealers and the system sounded terrible! Not a reflection on the amp but on the dealer...

I listened to the Naim first and didn’t like it. I had Naim for 30 years, so I’m not anti Naim. The Aethos followed and I didn’t think it sounded like a £3k amp TBH.

I may revisit the Aethos because I did enjoy what the Elicit R did and the Aethos should be better. As for the Elicit........ Not forward and slightly edgy/aggressive like the SuperNait 2. Not as dull and measured (boring) like the Aethos. Decent soundstage, three dimensional, nicely balanced bass/mids and good on detail. Ideally, I wish I’d had more time with the Aethos, but had I decided to go with the Aethos, I would need to save harder and longer.
Peter

What didn't you like about the supernait 2 ? Its on my list to replace my roksan k2
Basically, I found the Naim a tad aggressive and ‘in yer face’. Not what I’m looking for at this time. I’ve had numerous Naim amps including 62/90, 112/150, 52/135s, 282/250, 252/300 and now want something different. Don’t discount the SN though as it may tick your boxes.
Peter

I may revisit the Aethos because I did enjoy what the Elicit R did and the Aethos should be better..

Maybe, but better is subjective. One persons smoother and more refined is another's dull and lacking dynamics. Can be anyway. Sometimes all you get with bigger amplifiers is more power and sometimes that comes at a cost. Trust your ears, if it sounds better to you it is better.

Maybe, but better is subjective. One persons smoother and more refined is another's dull and lacking dynamics. Can be anyway. Sometimes all you get with bigger amplifiers is more power and sometimes that comes at a cost. Trust your ears, if it sounds better to you it is better.

Good point Mr Pig. I think that’s the reason I may revisit the Aethos. I listened to the SuperNait, followed by the Aethos. The contrast between the two was quite significant. Hence I have a feeling that my ‘ears/brain’ found the Aethos a little boring. Possibly paving the way for the Elicit to sound right. Just a theory........
In fairness to the dealer, he did offer to run the Aethos again, but my time was running out and I had to decline the offer.
Now I have a new list thanks to PFM.
Peter

Has anyone any experience of the Cambridge 851A?
Thanks for all your suggestions to date.

Yes. I auditioned one for a few days.
I didn’t get on with it.
The Roksan K3 was the next amp that I auditioned, noticeable improvement with the sound over the 851.
I preferred the build and appearance of the K3.

Again, easy to sort a demo K3 vs. 851A via Richer Sounds.

I strongly recommend the Denon PMA-1600NE. If the 17D3 is happy loaded at 100 ohms, you might even prefer the built-in phono stage to your external unit.

IMO, the high-end Denon integrated amps (1600NE, 2500NE, and the new A110) have the musical flow of a valve amp coupled with ample drive/power for use with any speaker - a true iron fist in a velvet glove. (I speak as someone who has lived with a low-power SET amp for a number of years.)

The only thing to be aware of is that the preamp gain is very high, so if you like to listen at low volumes occasionally it may be difficult to achieve the desired level with the remote.

advertisement

Back