advertisement

Integrated Recommendations for Vinyl Source

Can you get a home dem, borrow it?

After hearing IO, Brio and Elex/R I'd inclined to ask my dealer for a Aethos homedemo.
Rega have certainly improved their latest offering and I'm exited if my Naim application will have to pause.

Listened to Aethos vs Supenait 3 and felt it can wipe the floor with SN3 as Aethos is to my ears simply better in everything. More musical, much much more. More natural, more open, more inviting, more resolution, more depth, nicer tone, better balance, more power and cheaper.

My experience FWIW: I had the Elex-R and really liked what it could do - similar sound signature to the Brio-R, but more of everything. I demoed the Elex-R against the Elicit and personally preferred the sound of the Elex. When I came to upgrade I went for the Aethos, which to my ears has a similar sound to the Brio/Elex, but more power. This is despite the fact that it's based on the Elicit - I don't know why. Perhaps just my ears!

In summary, if you like the sound of the Elex, you should love the Aethos. If you prefer the Elicit, then maybe it has a different sound. I'm very happy with the Aethos and can't see me upgrading any time soon.

I can just add that i like very much Elex for it's musicality, but really hate it for it's brightness. As for Elicit, don't like it at all. Also bright and far less musical than Elex although sounds wider and bigger. Aethos is grown up and much more balanced without any brightness or edge shifts...to my ears.

I was surprised that I preferred the Elicit R to the Aethos. It’s just what I experienced at the dem. The source was a Rega P8 and the Rega Apheta 2. Peter

I have 2 Elicit-R's - one 5 years, other 1 year. Never had any trouble with them, good facilities & plenty of power. Remeber it is the music you listen to, not the equipment.

I listened to the Aethos at dealers and on home demo for a week. It sounds quite a bit different to Elict R - more powerful but also brighter/etched which my ears didn’t like. The Osiris on the other hand had a similar sound to my Elict R albeit more solid and natural.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I did some research on The Belles Aria and it certainly seems to tick the right boxes. That is, the focus is on analogue replay, as opposed to my current Leema. A great all round amp, but largely wasted within the context of my system. I plan to listen to the Aethos again and perhaps try to secure a home demo.
Peter

advertisement

Back