advertisement

Idiot/dangerous drivers

You really are determined to find every single possible, minor, inconsequential little thing to disagree about, aren’t you.

Not really. But it’s only a forum, so think and say what you like.

I do have experience of dealing with this type of traffic matter tho. Not all driving offence circumstances are the same.

Always makes me laugh when there are motoring/driving threads to see all the smug sanctimonious posts giving it "I think you'll find under subsection 4 of the traffic act.... blah blah.." I'm surprised we haven't had the "Institute of Advanced Motorists" on yet (= advanced holier than thou training and slower than everyone else). Probably loads on here are of the Audi/BMW/Merc but didn't go for the expensive "working indicators option" type:D

If you are in the outside lane you better be overtaking OR cruising at high speed.... and if you are being tailgated then you're obviously going too slow so get the fcuk out of the way!

Nowt worse than arseholes who sit in the outside lane at 69.9 MPH! I almost always tailgate them, flash headlight at them use horn and if the fcuk wit still doesn't get out of the way they get undertaken and a flash of the V's... I'm still waiting for bike mounted anti car missiles to be made available!:D

Oh and in anticipation of the "70.000mph is the speed limit and it's your type that blah blah blah a bad name blah blah...." replies, Up yours pal!:p

Bloody Sunday driver flat cap never had a an accident but caused 20 blah blah...:D

Tailgating is illegal as far as I know, and highly dangerous, suggest you stick with just the flashing lights and hope you get your point across a little more gently rather than upping the ante with aggressive and provocative tactics

Tailgating is illegal as far as I know, and highly dangerous, suggest you stick with just the flashing lights and hope you get your point across a little more gently rather than upping the ante with aggressive and provocative tactics

Am a bovvered? do a look bovvered?:D

What is it about cars, men, and testosterone?
Jeez. We never learn do we...and there are people who think that asking us nicely to do this and that will save the planet....ahahahahahahahaah. Oh my.

Talking about undertaking with a huge speed differential- I can always tell when I'm getting close to London as the amount of filtering organ donors doing 30-40 through stationary traffic goes up by about ten fold. But apparently the hazards being on means it's safe practice.

Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

However, from a police website:

“ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.”

As ever, the Highway Code needs to be referred to in conjunction with references to the law, especially if you’re giving advice to others.

At no point have I said it’s ok to go screaming past other cars, either on the left or right. I passed my driving ability test for becoming an instructor with bsm 25 years ago. The standard required was RoSPA Gold. I’ve also had instruction from ex-traffic police and race drivers. I’ve read many books on driving. I’ve driven in many countries. I’ve even driven in Saudi and Bahrain while so drunk that I couldn’t walk or even see properly, and I still managed to not crash or get pulled by the (very plentiful) traffic police.

I’m not perfect. But I keep trying to improve every detail.

I’ve done mock tests on people who proclaim they’re good drivers. The only basis for that statement has been that they’ve been driving for thirty years. On the whole, they’re abysmal. Rarely use the mirrors, indicate far too late, excessive speed and usually because they don’t even notice road signs... I could go on.

But I’ll still get treated like I’m wrong/stupid/aggressive/clueless on forums.

Love it!

Err... I've I been really drunk in KSA but on compounds or being driven on a bus between compounds. Driving drunk there seems like a drunken lapse of judgement!

But I’ll still get treated like I’m wrong/stupid/aggressive/clueless on forums.

If my responses to you have caused you to feel this way, then please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.

In the interests of transparency, I was a Grade 1 Advanced Police Driver from 1991 to 2005.

The biggest issue I've found with drivers is their lack of observational awareness, regardless of a given situation.

Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Thank you. The guy I mentioned in the first post quite obviously broke rule 268.

The biggest issue I've found with drivers is their lack of observational awareness, regardless of a given situation.

Agreed. If a driver is observant there’s a reasonable chance they’ll act on what they’ve observed. Ok, their reaction to the hazard may leave a little to be desired, but they’re unlikely to drive into a stationary lorry if they’ve seen it.

Anyway. I’ll watch some Russian dash cam footage tonight. Just to cheer me up. ,)

Years ago I benefited from a defensive driving course at work run by police drivers. I learnt a lot and realised some of the things I was doing well already without knowing. The course was certainly not about driving slowly or cautiously...to the point where the instructor said "you have the fastest car in this queue, use it".

Years ago I benefited from a defensive driving course at work run by police drivers. I learnt a lot and realised some of the things I was doing well already without knowing. The course was certainly not about driving slowly or cautiously...to the point where the instructor said "you have the fastest car in this queue, use it".

Yup... rules for overtaking, etc.

I assume the officer did a drive with verbal commentary? That is easily one way to get so called ‘fast’ drivers to slow down. Not only do you see the hazard, you have to say you’ve seen it. Double reinforcing etc... quite often afterwards drivers are honest and admit they missed crucial potential hazards.

Yup... rules for overtaking, etc.

I assume the officer did a drive with verbal commentary? That is easily one way to get so called ‘fast’ drivers to slow down. Not only do you see the hazard, you have to say you’ve seen it. Double reinforcing etc... quite often afterwards drivers are honest and admit they missed crucial potential hazards.
Yes commentary...things like looking for reflections in windows to give clue about what's coming the other way. I'd been doing it to a lesser extent but now do it more deliberately. Anyway it's incredibly useful.

Today’s fast road tedium: A11 from Norwich. Totally clear lane 1, three vehicles in convoy in lane 2 (a 2 lane road for those that don’t know it.) I think some drivers just have no idea whatsoever .

Anyway, what is a man to do? I’m not sitting there alll day at 65, looking like I’m also a complete plum.

Said convoy remained in lane 2 for as long as I could see them. Several others just like them as I made my way home. I’m afraid it’s just the norm now.

I don't understand why folk get so lathered up by these lane-hoggers. OK, so it's poor driving and all that, but in terms of how much it effects your journey time it's not exactly life and death, is it? Aggression and deliberate discourtesy are far more dangerous. Just sit back and put a nice bit of music on...

I don't understand why folk get so lathered up by these lane-hoggers. OK, so it's poor driving and all that, but in terms of how much it effects your journey time it's not exactly life and death, is it? Aggression and deliberate discourtesy are far more dangerous. Just sit back and put a nice bit of music on...

Exactly. The idiot dangerous driver only gained a short distance because of heavy traffic and wouldn't of got to his destination much faster. Certainly not worth risking his life and incredibly selfish to risk everyone else's. Judging by some of the previous comments in this thread it just goes to show how selfish and stupid some people are.

advertisement

Back