advertisement

Idiot/dangerous drivers

I think it would just be preferable if we did away with any rules for the road. 'Drive on the left' is wholly unnecessary (and frequently ignored anyway) so let's just do away with it. A 'free for all' seems to sit well with our society today, so why should driving be any different? We wouldn't be able to accuse anyone of being selfish then, just everyone going about their legitimate business.

I do agree above though, those that can't abide by a set of principles (or even just the simple: 'drive on the left') seem to have consideration inverse (ly!) proportional to their ego. Chucking the rules would eliminate this.

I think it would just be preferable if we did away with any rules for the road. 'Drive on the left' is wholly unnecessary (and frequently ignored anyway) so let's just do away with it. A 'free for all' seems to sit well with our society today, so why should driving be any different? We wouldn't be able to accuse anyone of being selfish then, just everyone going about their legitimate business.

I do agree above though, those that can't abide by a set of principles (or even just the simple: 'drive on the left') seem to have consideration inverse (ly!) proportional to their ego. Chucking the rules would eliminate this.

Why not read the Rac guides to motorway driving. Although it was all common sense to me. I think you could learn a lot.

Aggression and deliberate discourtesy are far more dangerous. Just sit back and put a nice bit of music on...

Absolutely - some sense at long last. I think some kind of test for tolerance and aggression levels should be part of the driving test............

Remember that (almost) everyone on the road has passed a test. Compared to those of many countries, our driving test is quite difficult. There’s also the theory test beforehand. Some older people here would struggle with both.
However, many people choose to forget what they’ve learned.

Making the test different or more difficult won’t change anything long term.

Maybe more people - myself included - could benefit from watching Youtube videos posted by driving instructors to keep our fingers on the pulse, as it were.

Trying to instil better driving habits into motorists is an exercise in futility because the majority are not at all interested in driving. They just want to get where they're going, and don't give a sh*t about other motorists beyond getting annoyed by everyone who gets in their way.

Some older people here would struggle with both.

We could do a driver awareness course for this sort of thing. Oh, wait, that already happens for certain offences;)

On a serious note, I do think there is a need to consider some kind of re-testing. It happens for age-related driving of heavier/bigger vehicles, so why not cars?

We could do a driver awareness course for this sort of thing. Oh, wait, that already happens for certain offences;)

On a serious note, I do think there is a need to consider some kind of re-testing. It happens for age-related driving of heavier/bigger vehicles, so why not cars?

In my opinion, for what it’s worth, I’d say that apart from older drivers occasionally driving a little slower than the norm, they don’t really cause issues. As shown on telly in the last few years, some 100+ year old drivers are perfectly capable of safe driving.

Around Suffolk, where I spend most of my driving time, the most noticeable annoyances are:

Cutting across blind right hand bends

Using a handheld device

Speeding through villages. And I’m talking full throttle acceleration in 30 zones to, at a guess, 50mph+.

Older drivers tend to not take part in those mentioned above. And for some reason it appears to me that women aged 17-45 are most likely to be using their mobile while driving.

Trying to instil better driving habits into motorists is an exercise in futility because the majority are not at all interested in driving. They just want to get where they're going, and don't give a sh*t about other motorists beyond getting annoyed by everyone who gets in their way.

I see what you mean... I guess that leaves each of us to decide for ourselves whether we'll make the effort to be more mindful about how we drive when we're behind the wheel. I watched the video so it's a start, I suppose.

the most noticeable annoyances are:

For me:
Following the car in front too close to be able to stop in an emergency - fact of life today tho due to congestion and ignorance,

Inappropriate courtesy to other motorists eg letting vehicles out of side streets when there is nothing behind said vehicle being courteous, or that vehicle not being bothered about traffic flow,

Failure to indicate in general, again showing selfishness or unawareness.

For me:
Following the car in front too close

On duals and mways that triggers a few reactions from me. A larger gap to the vehicle ahead, a dab of the brakes, a long squirt of screenwash.
On single carriageway, I drive slower and slower and Sllloooooooooowwwerrrrr. Eventually they might cotton on.

When I had a 911, people would drive very strangely if I appeared behind them. I’d be in no hurry, well back, but some would almost drive into fields to get out of my way!

On duals and mways that triggers a few reactions from me. A larger gap to the vehicle ahead, a dab of the brakes, a long squirt of screenwash.
On single carriageway, I drive slower and slower and Sllloooooooooowwwerrrrr. Eventually they might cotton on.

When I had a 911, people would drive very strangely if I appeared behind them. I’d be in no hurry, well back, but some would almost drive into fields to get out of my way!
The one that gets me is when I’m in the right hand lane in a queue of other cars overtaking slower traffic on inside lane. I can’t pull over and I can’t go faster, but I still get a twunt in a black Range Rover up my rear with his lights flashing, arms waving and spittle on his windscreeen. What does he (it always is a he) expect me to do? There’s a car in front of me and a car to my left. My reaction is to slow right down, and get slower and slower until the cars on the inside have undertaken us and there is an actual gap I can pull into. Not sure how this benefits the twunt, but what other option has he given me?

This is because women are better at multitasking. Many I know can talk, drive and get lost all at the same time.

my lady insists on turning the radio off when we're getting close to the destination (when she's driving) so she can concentrate more.. :(

My dad, in hot weather, turns the air conditioning on til the car’s interior is cool, then turns it off. From Berkshire to Llandudno.

I’ve not had to suffer that, but my mum has and she just stops talking to him. I’ve even offered to transfer a fiver to his bank account to cover the extra cost of keeping the car cool. And believe me, he’d do the maths.

advertisement

Back