advertisement

Ideas for a speaker upgrade?

@JezmondTutu What is your budget, room size etc.....:)

Size is fairly limited and I can’t have the speakers sticking out in the room loads.

Room 13 x 11 with speakers firing across the narrower dimension.

I’d love a go with ATCSMC50’s but they are just a bit too big.

Budget flexible I guess, more about getting the right speaker than the money. But clearly £2k would be better than £15k!

The Epos’s are superb in many respects and the amps seems to be a fantastic match (never heard ES14’s sound this good) but I’m interested to hear how something more modern (and of course far more expensive) might better them. I may try to get to listen to Kudos & ATC (SCM40’s?). Speakers need to be either oak or black and be wife friendly!

The new Rega Kytes tick all the boxes bar one - they're not expensive.

I sold my dream speaker (Shahinian Obelisks) as her indoors hated the look of them. Have previously had Naim SBL’s (sold as they didn’t work in my old room), Shahinian Compass, Ruark Talisman 2’s, Dynaudio Contour 1.1’s and Neat Petites.

Just out of curiosity: did all those other speakers you mention also not work for you for some reason?

Larsen speakers may be an option, they go right up against the wall and take up very little space. They also work well in smaller rooms.

Just out of curiosity: did all those other speakers you mention also not work for you for some reason?

Neats didn’t work when I moved house in 1993. My previous house had what transpired to be a tricky room (a cube), so the SBL’s I bought just didn’t work. The Contours were a big improvement, the Compass’s better than the Contours but nothing really worked in that room. I took the Compass’s with me to my current house and then upgraded to Obelisks.

Shahinian Arcs might be what you're looking for. They are much less 'in yer face' than Obelisks and blend in with the surroundings, I find. Source a decent secondhand pair and you have tremendous speakers for the money.

My study is a little smaller than your room, but not by that much, and the best speakers I've used in there so far at the Wilson Benesch Square One standmounters that I'm currently using (with a Krell integrated). The Square One's aren't made any more but they have some other interesting standmounters in their range that might be worth a look.

My study is a little smaller than your room, but not by that much, and the best speakers I've used in there so far at the Wilson Benesch Square One standmounters that I'm currently using (with a Krell integrated). The Square One's aren't made any more but they have some other interesting standmounters in their range that might be worth a look.

I've never heard the Square One but the WB Arc Standmounts were a great sounding small speaker, easy to drive and not too fussy about placement.

I love them and might even try Arcs as they are a bit more wife friendly, easier to drive and have bass that the Compasses lack

Oh, I am satisfied with the bass of my really old Compasses. Had them upgraded with MkII tweeters and bass/mid drivers recently (one of the tweeters was finally dead). Considered a speaker change before, but am happy now. The new bass/mid drivers were a substantial improvement. Had also to reposition them in my (complicated) room for domestic reasons. Much better now. And they are supposed to be wife friendly. Well, in my case they are. :)

advertisement

Back