advertisement

Iconic Turntables

You could walk into a nightclub in Tokyo, township in Johannesburg or a beach hut in Jamaica with a picture of a Technics and the odds are pretty high that most of the people in the room will recognise it. Even if they don't know what it's called they will have seen one and know what it is. No other turntable commands that kind societal presence. It isn't even close. There are no runners up.
That beach hut in Jamaica is probably rocking a pair to pump through the sound system

I‘d include the Dual 1229. Here’s a nice description.

The most iconic Dual turntable is widely considered to be the Dual 1229. Known for its high-quality construction, precision engineering, and excellent sound reproduction, the 1229 became a favorite among audiophiles and is still highly regarded in the vintage audio community today. It features a fully automatic mechanism, a robust motor, and a well-designed tonearm, making it a standout model in the history of Dual turntables.

maxresdefault.jpg

Though famously seen but not played in A Clockwork Orange the Hydraulic Reference is a design icon.
I first saw a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference at a Hifi show at Earls Court or Olympia with my then girlfriend she noted my interest subsequently she bought one for me

The actor Philip Stone "Dad" in A Clockwork Orange was a neighbour of ours in W London; though we often spoke, we only spoke about the film once, it was the day after my wife & I had both went to see A Clockwork Orange when it was first re-released in the UK after Kubrick's death.

We were cuing for a bus to Ealing Broadway I told him my wife & I had both seen Kubrick's film in the 70's & again the night before (1999 ish) on our 20 minute journey he told of the great time they had making the film & commented that the turntable was futuristic then. Apparently some actors & crew bought one.

Coincidentally as a 15 year old, Anthony Burgess had come to my school 6th form debating society to talk on George Orwell. After the talk I spoke to Burgess, as I had just read the recently released A Clockwork Orange, he told me that it was written as a cathartic exercise after his wife was sexually assaulted in the 1940's I may well have been one of the first to hear that explanation...

Neither of these stories are HiFi however they are true & may explain some of my affection for the Hydraulic reference...

Last edited:
I think the Gyrodec is a stunning piece of design and have always quite fancied one. But I pointed one out to my OH as we were passing a hi-fi shop last week and got a decidedly lukewarm response. She said she prefers the look of my Lenco... 🤷‍♂️

The actor Philip Stone "Dad" in A Clockwork Orange was a neighbour of ours in W London; though we often spoke, we only spoke about the film once, it was the day after my wife & I had both went to see A Clockwork Orange when it was first re-released in the UK after Kubrick's death.

We were cuing for a bus to Ealing Broadway I told him my wife & I had both seen Kubrick's film in the 70's & again the night before (1999 ish) on our 20 minute journey he told of the great time they had making the film & commented that the turntable was futuristic then. Apparently some actors & crew bought one.

Coincidentally as a 15 year old, Anthony Burgess had come to my school 6th form debating society to talk on George Orwell. After the talk I spoke to Burgess, as I had just read the recently released A Clockwork Orange, he told me that it was written as a cathartic exercise after his wife was sexually assaulted in the 1940's I may well have been one of the first to hear that explanation...

Neither of these stories are HiFi & I have never told these stories other than to my wife, however they are true & may explain some of my affection for the Hydraulic reference...
It was seeing the film which made me lust after the Transcriptor. Recently bought a lovely Reference Electronic, but it’s massive and looks a bit daft now I’ve got rid of my vintage amps and modernised

It was seeing the film which made me lust after the Transcriptor. Recently bought a lovely Reference Electronic, but it’s massive and looks a bit daft now I’ve got rid of my vintage amps and modernised
Put it on a firm base I have used mine with Meridian 101/103/104 set up and now with all relatively modern valve amplification.

My firm base has been since we moved in 46 years ago has been a 1920's natural paving stone covered with black formica literally wedged with wood wedges between 2 brick walls in an alcove.

I have One Thing Audio rebuilt Quad 57's sitting on OTA Rupert stands fitted with the truly exceptional Stack Audio Auva 50's at the moment though thinking of Auva 70's still.

[281995%2F8815416%2Fmceclip0]

Last edited:
It’s a never ending list isn’t it and hugely subjective too? You could add models from Thorens, Dual, Pioneer, Goldmund, Clearaudio, Project, Pink Triangle, Roxan, Well Tempered, Systemdek & SME just to name a few.

Put it on a firm base I have used mine with Meridian 101/103/104 set up and now with all relatively modern valve amplification.

My firm base has been since we moved in 46 years ago has been a 1920's natural paving stone covered with black formica literally wedged with wood wedges between 2 brick walls in an alcove.

it’s on a fairly stable rack, I’m just struggling to get used to the size of it coming from more conventionally sized decks - it’s ruined the feng shui!

Iconic loudspeakers!

advertisement

Back