advertisement

I was lied to...

UebNy71.jpg

@tvheadhunter thanks for sharing, just caught up on this post, fantastic purpose built rooms. Unfortunately reality means the majority of us can't do much about our shared (function and with family) rooms in terms of treatment or accomodation of such scale of speakers, we can, however, dig more out of a record deck by improving the source ... so while I don't disagree with your conclusions, they are all but impossible for me to follow ...

Source first? Well, yes IMHO, as long as that means the source as in what's contained on the the medium that arrives in my listening room.

After that, each piece of kit in the reproduction chain can only be imperfect to some degree. And each adds its own imperfections to the final sonic result. So, all pieces of kit are important. Some types add fewer imperfections than others. Some types need to be expensive to adequately minimize unwanted imperfections, but others don't.

After the source (as in how I think of it) what comes first depends on the listener deciding which imperfections matter most rather than just accepting the marketing message du jour.

I realise I’m fortunate to have a dedicated room. There’s no way my wife would put up with those big JBL’s and acoustic panels all over the living room. But it is where the money should be spent. Vicoustic does have some beautiful panels and solutions, although they are pretty expensive, and like some one said above, rugs and curtains get part of the way, but they aren’t enough. Book shelves and uneven concrete or wood panels as diffusers also work. The ceiling is hugely important.I would probably say someone should spend 60% of your budget on speakers and room, 25-30% on amps, and 10 -15% on source. I had the equation reversed.

@tvheadhunter thanks for sharing, just caught up on this post, fantastic purpose built rooms. Unfortunately reality means the majority of us can't do much about our shared (function and with family) rooms in terms of treatment or accomodation of such scale of speakers, we can, however, dig more out of a record deck by improving the source ... so while I don't disagree with your conclusions, they are all but impossible for me to follow ...

Last edited:
I realise I’m fortunate to have a dedicated room. There’s no way my wife would put up with those big JBL’s and acoustic panels all over the living room. But it is where the money should be spent. Vicousitc does have some beautiful panels and solutions, although they are pretty expensive, and like some one said above, rugs and curtains get part of the way, but they aren’t enough. Book shelves and uneven concrete or wood panels as diffusers also work. The ceiling is hugely important.I would probably say someone should spend 60% of your budget on speakers and room, 25-30% on amps, and 10 -15% on source. I had the equation reversed.

Was your dedicated room built to specific measurements with regard to room acoustics?

7.5ft f is the standard UK ceiling height for anything built in the last 50 years of so. Older houses may have higher ceilings but they have fallen from favour because of build and heating cost That is a huge room though.

With that room I would have thought Tannoy Westminsters would suit.

I can't believe you have blown so many tweeters. I have never had a problem with my KEF References. Mind you I am normally around 85db.

Glad you had the patience to read through, Evan.

Never heard the Tannoys but look like wonderful speakers. Speakers needed to also work for movies.

‘Yeah, I’m typically above that by quite a bit.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back