advertisement

I need an amp with punch and clarity

You could demo a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. It has enough watts and 30a, so plenty of juice to grip your speakers. The room correction and voicings between them will give you clarity and punch at every volume level.
Great amplifier.

Have you considered recapped / serviced vintage? I love my Sansui AU-717.

I bought some C7ES3's several years ago and my findings mirror yours. Somehow some people don't find they lack "punch", some do. If you're in the latter category, change the speaker, sorry! The newer version must be better than the one I had, but the C7 was the most boring speaker I've ever had.
I've had mine for over 12 years now and I do love them. With a suitable amplifier, they can indeed do some decent dynamics, but they are not of course near the top league for this even when well partnered.

I have been wondering myself if the next step could be the Graham Audio ls5/9 - it's apparently more lively and punchy than the C7 but still keeps to the BBC family sound in the midrange. However there is a problem - sales to Finland happen from Denmark and the only retailer for the Danish company does not actually carry any Graham Audio products, so while I can probably order one domestically, I can't get a demo without travelling abroad..

As for amps, I drive mine with an Exposure Classic 23/28 set and that does wake them up. A modern Exposure 3000 series integrated or power amp would probably do an even better job. Or perhaps a Rega Aethos?

I really like the C7, beautifully voiced, superb for jazz and chamber music. I let mine go because they just weren't all-rounders enough for me, and I had significant issues with bass in my room. What helped, contrary to Alan Shaw's apparent vierw that "all competent amps are the same", was power. A SN2 worked better than anything else IME.

I really like the C7, beautifully voiced, superb for jazz and chamber music.
In fact I believe its much easier to choose loudspeakers that match smaller Jazz ensembles and chamber music.
Punchy speakers that do a wider performance to satisfaction seem to be a hard and expensive job to find.

Thanks guys for your input, I will look into the models mentioned.

To clarify, I am not expecting a Harbeth to turn into a Klipsch. I like smooth, I listened to mostly acoustic stuffs. When everything in an audio chain is on the smooth side, all you get is smooth and not much else. I'd like to nudge the system towards the middle a little. If an amp can make a Harbeth reasonably punchy, it will sound even punchier with my other speakers.

Most people own a class AB solid state amp. I've been in this hobby for may be 20 years, all my stereo amps are either tube or cheap class D. I think it's somewhat of a miracle. I think it's time I try something new.

I forgot to mention Bryston, they are very forward amps, but they aren't cheap either, unless you luck-out in the second hand market.

In fact I believe its much easier to choose loudspeakers that match smaller Jazz ensembles and chamber music.
Punchy speakers that do a wider performance to satisfaction seem to be a hard and expensive job to find.

I think the trend of hifi in general, be it speakers or electronics, is towards detail, smoothness, low sensitivity and low distortion. I suspect this this psychoacoustic "punchiness" is a kind of nonlinearity. I find it's easier to make higher sensitivity speaker sound punchy, but they are getting rarer.

Most people own a class AB solid state amp. I've been in this hobby for may be 20 years, all my stereo amps are either tube or cheap class D.
I've no idea about class D, but depending on the valved amps you've had, this may be the problem, esp. as they may not be synergistic with Harbeths. I have full valve amplification, but EAR, which has more of the s/s presentation than that of valves.

If you insist on matching amps to specific speakers, you may find that class A s/s (Sugden, e.g.) might work. However those here with experience of Harbeths should know which range of amps would energise them. However, you have other speakers, and I'd've thought substitution would give you a pointer. Previously being a Naimee and respecting my dealer friend's experience as an owner the Supernaits 2 and 3 do seem to tick boxes.

What about something like the NAD C 399? NAD tends to have these characteristics. For some reason they are often overlooked.

Where are you based? I've got a couple of amps you could listen to with your speakers to compare.

Thank you very much for your kinda offer, I'm in Singapore, so a little far. :D

I've no idea about class D, but depending on the valved amps you've had, this may be the problem, esp. as they may not be synergistic with Harbeths. I have full valve amplification, but EAR, which has more of the s/s presentation than that of valves.

If you insist on matching amps to specific speakers, you may find that class A s/s (Sugden, e.g.) might work. However those here with experience of Harbeths should know which range of amps would energise them. However, you have other speakers, and I'd've thought substitution would give you a pointer. Previously being a Naimee and respecting my dealer friend's experience as an owner the Supernaits 2 and 3 do seem to tick boxes.

My tube amps actually sounds more dynamic than my Class D. The problem is sometimes (not all the time) the midrange can sound overly sweet. The class D has more resolution and transparency, but less punch and bite. But, I don't think it is a class D thing, all amps that has high damping factor and measure well tend to sound like that. "Flat" can be a positive or a negative term depending on your preference and pairing equipment.

Currently I have 2 systems hooked up at the same listening position. I'm kinda of lazy to swap things around, so things that don't get connected don't get listened.

The other pair of speakers that get connected are Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary. Currently I use it with the Line Magnetic LM-211ia. It's a more forward sound that I use for more mainstream music. In my book the pairing are better optimised. That said, if I get a lower end Naim, I suspect it will eventually be matched to this speaker, and the Harbeth will still be without an amp.

But don't get me wrong, the Triangle is no match for the Harbeth when it comes to midrange transparency and vocal.

Anyone heard the Cambridge Audio CXA81? Some review says they are punchy and forward while some say they sound warm and vintage. I don't know what to make of it.

On the new market currently these models stood out for me:
- Cambridge Audio CXA81
- Audiolab 8300MB (250W into 8Ω monoblocks, I've never had amps with this kind of wattage)
- Topping LA90D (some described it as a little forward, which is a good thing in my book)

I would recommend exposure, I have a 3010s2d with SHL5+ and works very well. In fact if you search exposure on the (unofficial) harbeth Facebook page you will see a number of recommendations.

Anyone heard the Cambridge Audio CXA81? Some review says they are punchy and forward while some say they sound warm and vintage. I don't know what to make of it.

On the new market currently these models stood out for me:
- Cambridge Audio CXA81
- Audiolab 8300MB (250W into 8Ω monoblocks, I've never had amps with this kind of wattage)
- Topping LA90D (some described it as a little forward, which is a good thing in my book)
Says a lot about reviews.

advertisement

Back