advertisement

I need advice from those in the know

Chocolate is a piece of piss to stop, its the booze for modern man thats the issue I reckon.

And women

58811_10151505190455883_1961229959_n.jpg

Mick,

My advice is to make this into a new hobby. A radical change of diet will take 3+ months to get used to as your body's system adapts.

It seems you need to tackle two issues, weight and excess sugar in your blood.

I would at minimum cut out refined sugars and alcohol. Then address the weight with a wholefood vegetarian diet - grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables. Cook it in a way that tastes good for you - this might inspire http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/. If using rice, use brown rice instead of white.

At the same time, get advice from a dietician and doctor.

Andrew

He's probably kneeling sideways on his sofa with a cushion pressed into each ear wishing he'd never started this thread.

He's probably kneeling sideways on his sofa with a cushion pressed into each ear wishing he'd never started this thread.

Most likely has a mouth full of food, a pie in one hand and a pint in the other, or a G&T.

i dunno, I cut out breakfast and chocolate and lost 12kg over three months. Seems simple enough but whether that is right to give as advice I'm not convinced.

Greg, I need to lose some fat last year so I stopped eating breakfast and one day a week lunch as well. It's had the desired effect.

Seems like excellent advice to me.

Chaps

Thank you for the advice. I have also been speaking to a few people who have successfully overcome this problem and will act accordingly.

First thing to accept that being fat is being a total prick, there is just no excuse. You look disgusting, you are a mess and it is chavy. It is something that you just let creep up on you.

Therefore I am now eating sensibly and already have lost 3lb on the scales. I am drinking more water and am walking a lot more.

Breakfast is now just plain porrige with all the sugary fruit cut out. The Dundee cake is gone and the daily glass of whisky is now only to be a weekly treat. The intake of steamed and stir fryed veg is going up and all cakes, biscuits and the cheeses are taboo for the time being. I am allowing myself a small glass of wine with each evening meal.

I may also add in the two day fast regeime as it seems to have a lot of benefits and it may suit my lifestyle better.

I have not set myself a specific target as I don't want to look like a sunken sallow wreck that weight loss can bring about, but I was 12.5 stone for years and I was fit and healthy as well as looking good, so that is my unofficial target by the end of the year.

Mrs Mick is also on the diet and together we will do it.

I think these shocks actually do you some good, giving you a much needed kick up the arse.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

I'm glad you got in contact. For a minute I thought you'd gone out to buy a packet of vests and a Cortina for the front garden. I'm glad you've taken control.

Things do have a tendency to creep up on us though when we take our eye off the squirrel, but you shouldn't be over critical.

Health Minister Anna Soubry was wrong when she said: ‘When I go to my constituency, when I walk around, you can almost now tell somebody’s background by their weight. Obviously not everybody who is overweight comes from deprived backgrounds, but that’s where the propensity lies.’

David Cameron only said the poor, obese and lazy spent too much time blaming social problems for their own shortcomings because he's a twat.

Take Lord Bath for example, who is both a porker and from a rank we can only dream of. Same for Nicholas Soames grandson of famous chubster Churchill. Good grief man, look at Eric Pickles. The list is endless.

And just remember, if things do slip again, a tattoo is for life not just for classlessness.

Dean :) good luck.

First thing to accept that being fat is being a total prick, there is just no excuse.

That was certainly my reaction once I'd grasped I was not only fat, but I'd given myself type 2 diabetes (well, given there's a family history, probably moved it forward a good few years). You are right, there is simply no excuse. The advantage I have I guess is I'm pretty reclusive so it was actually pretty easy for me to change my eating / exercise pattern as no one else is effected and I'm not pressured to attend fancy restaurant meals / pub lunches etc.

I strongly advise learning the calorific values of what you eat - some food has loads, some next to none, so you really don't have to starve yourself at all. You can still eat nice big meals just by say swapping pasta for brown rice and say a cheese and mushroom sauce for chopped tomatoes. Just research everything. Also be wary of so called 'health food' like muesli etc, a lot of it is surprisingly high calorie, and you'd not expect it to be. I try to never eat something without having a pretty good idea of the calorie content. It's all just a basic input / output issue, so apply your brain to it.

Regarding alcohol, if you check out the Diabetes UK website they say that recommended limits for diabetics is the same as for non-diabetics. You just need to avoid alcoholic drinks with added or high unfermented sugars.

Alcohol actually lowers blood sugar levels which is why people eat kebabs with chilli sauce after a night out on the piss.

That was certainly my reaction once I'd grasped I was not only fat, but I'd given myself type 2 diabetes (well, given there's a family history, probably moved it forward a good few years). You are right, there is simply no excuse. The advantage I have I guess is I'm pretty reclusive so it was actually pretty easy for me to change my eating / exercise pattern as no one else is effected and I'm not pressured to attend fancy restaurant meals / pub lunches etc.

I strongly advise learning the calorific values of what you eat - some food has loads, some next to none, so you really don't have to starve yourself at all. You can still eat nice big meals just by say swapping pasta for brown rice and say a cheese and mushroom sauce for chopped tomatoes. Just research everything. Also be wary of so called 'health food' like muesli etc, a lot of it is surprisingly high calorie, and you'd not expect it to be. I try to never eat something without having a pretty good idea of the calorie content. It's all just a basic input / output issue, so apply your brain to it.

My nurse taught me to read the labels. I subsequently lost weight and my diabetes diagnosis was reversed. I have put some weight back on again though.

Good luck Mick, with all the good advice I'm sure you will have success.

One thing I eliminated from my diet was the twice a week 1180 calorie with 92 grams of sugar vanilla malt I would order on the way back from my local record shop. That's more than half a day's worth of calories right there.

A small glass of wine with your evening meal shouldn't be a problem if you can stick to that amount.

I can't, so I stopped drinking completely after I finished my Christmas stock a day or two after the New Year. I'm surprised that now I've been off it for a while I don't really miss it at all.

I may also add in the two day fast regeime as it seems to have a lot of benefits and it may suit my lifestyle better.

Ultimately this is the answer. There are thousands of theories out there, all work in their own way, but if you don't find what suits you then it just becomes too much mental torture.

I'm another one who can't have one drink, so I went three months without any. As for planning to lose two stone over ten months - not a prayer! I'd lose interest within a week, I need to see results. But then some people would have given up my regime after a fortnight.

One thing I would recommend for everyone is a high fibre cereal for breakfast at least five days a week, without fruit or sugar. Porridge on the other days.

advertisement

Back