advertisement

I need advice from those in the know

It's Calories in and Calories out. 1lb of fat is 3,500 calories. Keep it sensible, no faddish diets. Just establish what you like and what you genuinely think is healthy and eat less of it than you think you need. If you don't cut out the booze remember not to eat more because you are drinking. Try to exercise, find something you like doing and can do for the next 10 years. e.g Ride a bike for 30-60-120 mins etc. Exercise is important not just because it uses calories but it ups metabolism. It's also fun.
Take it gradually and don't get put off by bad days. If you are disciplined and determined it shouldn't be a problem.

Spot on. BMI is useless in this regard, I'm obese and yet I can regularly knock out 200km on the bike. Granted I'm not best pleased with being overweight but at least my mind is at rest towards the diabetes side of things because of the exercise.

Mick, before you completely deprive yourself of everything nice to eat, look into some proper exercise, it's much more beneficial IMHO. My old man is mature onset type 2 and he just accepted it, takes all the pills and now has to take insulin, if only he'd take some exercise he'd not be where he's at now.

I'll go along with that.

One of my daughters has always been over weight, but she is very fit and is currently training for the London Marathon, despite being blind.

There's been a lot of good stuff on here.

Here's my two penn'orth.

It can be very hard to cut out Carbs, as they are what give the 'nice full comfort food' feeling, But my experience is you can reduce them very drastically and get great results. E.g. 1 or 2 small spuds instead of 10. Three or four chips. A spoonful or so of cooked rice.

Keep fat below 50 g per day. It's not hard to do.

I agree that exercise actually shifts remarkably few calories when measured short term. The point is that exercise done properly boosts metabolism in the long term resulting in increased calorie loss even at rest.

Moderate weight training is great for this.

Mull

Probably worth posting a nice neat little BMI range graph:

ridbie.gif

My target is the centre point for my height, I'm a couple of kg over that at present (though still well within the 'ok' zone).

I'm not at all convinced this graph is properly centered. When I was a skinny 21 year old it would put me just left of the centre of the OK zone. I'm presently just right of it. I'm pretty sure that if I were to drop down to 70kg I would be unhealthy rather than the graphical OK.

Paul

I am a short arse 5ft 7in and 11st 7lb my BMI is 26 yet I am classed as overweight!!
My occupational nurse reckons I could lose a few pounds but it's nothing to worry about

I'm not at all convinced this graph is properly centered. When I was a skinny 21 year old it would put me just left of the centre of the OK zone. I'm presently just right of it. I'm pretty sure that if I were to drop down to 70kg I would be unhealthy rather than the graphical OK.

Paul

for one thing, it doesn't really distinguish between muscle mass and fat. so you could be ripped with 5% body fat, and still be on the wrong side of the graph.

I'm not at all convinced this graph is properly centered. When I was a skinny 21 year old it would put me just left of the centre of the OK zone. I'm presently just right of it. I'm pretty sure that if I were to drop down to 70kg I would be unhealthy rather than the graphical OK.l

As a teenager through to mid-20s I was very skinny, I'm 5'11" and back then weighed about nine and a half stone. I felt fine, though was certainly technically underweight. I was never athletic, but I was reasonably fit. The weight gradually came on in my 30s, eventually to the extent I'd really lost control of it and got myself into the lower range of the obese category and won myself a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Since then I've got it largely under control, albeit with a lot of effort and abandoning a lot of food I like. I'm pretty certain the chart is accurate - the reason I selected it is that it shows the range, most calculators only give the top-line reading, and that's a false level of security IMO - one often hears folk saying they are "nearly in their BMI range", when what they actually mean is they are outside even the top end of it and probably blissfully unaware what the bottom end is / where the median lies. My range is something like 68-81kg, I'm 75kg. I think I'd like to be 72. I'll try and get there once the weather warms up and I can enjoy cycling more.

PS there's a great BMI tool over on the BBC here, the easiest to use I've seen so far, and that agrees with the one I posted.

Thats what I don't get, I am reasonably fit for my age, take regular exercise and don't have a beer gut, and blow 120% on the lung capacity machine at my work medical.
Mick is an inch taller and 4 stone heavier so I am not to bad:D

My range is something like 68-81kg, I'm 75kg. I think I'd like to be 72. I'll try and get there once the weather warms up and I can enjoy cycling more.
I blame big bones and a relatively long torso for my higher-than-optimal BMI. What's your waist measurement?

It's Calories in and Calories out. 1lb of fat is 3,500 calories.
It can be depressing to burn only an extra (from basal rate) 300-400 calories from 30 minutes of hard yakka on the cross-trainer. That's when one realises it's far easier to restrict intake than increase output.

Noooo!!

Do both!

And as I keep on saying, being fit and toned increases your metabolism and makes you burn more calories all the time.

What's your waist measurement?

I'm back in 32" jeans now, comfortably too (i.e. need a belt), though I was a lot thinner when in my 20s (I wore 28" jeans when I was 18). I still have some abdominal weight to lose as I've never had much in the way of muscle mass, i.e. when I was fat I was pretty much a skinny guy with a big gut. I've actually put a couple of Kg back on over the winter months as it's so cold / wet / snowing out and I utterly detest going to the gym (I have been going if the weather prevents any cycling, but I can only really face an hour of it at a time, whereas I enjoy cycling for about three times that).

I'm back in 32" jeans now, comfortably too (i.e. need a belt), though I was a lot thinner when in my 20s (I wore 28" jeans when I was 18). I still have some abdominal weight to lose as I've never had much in the way of muscle mass, i.e. when I was fat I was pretty much a skinny guy with a big gut. I've actually put a couple of Kg back on over the winter months as it's so cold / wet / snowing out and I utterly detest going to the gym (I have been going if the weather prevents any cycling, but I can only really face an hour of it at a time, whereas I enjoy cycling for about three times that).
That's impressive. I have a bit more muscle mass and am quite chuffed to be able to wear 36" jeans. I'm aiming for 34" to get under the 0.5 waist-to-height ratio.

Damn I've some work to do.

Slipped over 13 stone this year and logic dictates its only been going up. For me its booze usualy 2 pints or 2 wines a night probably hitting 60 units a week i reckon.

I don't eat much crap, but i do eat a lot, especially in the evening, which is the worse time to do so.

Have not worked in a kitchen for 18 months and in that time put on half a stone.

Hi, Mick

Lake swimming?

;)

Pete

I suppose you think that's funny?
Whatever happened to empathy and compassion?

Anyway, everyone knows that lake swimming needs to be combined with intensive grass slithering for a balanced workout.

It's probably worth adding that lots of general activity and movement seems to offer considerable benefits that specific exercise sessions don't and vice versa. Brisk walking as much as possible (eg. 45 minutes+ six days per week), use stairs not lifts, try two steps at a time, gardening, hoovering, etc. it all adds up to far more than you might think. Evidence appears to show lots or low level movement and activity has big effects over time such as weight loss and joint health,

Exercising 2 or 3 times per week for 45 minutes will have a limited effect simply because whilst it might feel like you're going to great efforts and deserve health and well-being that's not actually a great deal of activity if you're sedentary the rest of the week. Intense exercise on the other hand ("intense" being relative to one's level of fitness and subject to green light from one's doctor) should also figure and offers considerable benefits that steady state activity doesn't. A decent exercise bike or rowing machine are ideal as its easy to increase intensity, measure performance (and thus progress) and doesn't hit joints or present risks that jogging/running can do if not in great condition or with ageing joints.

Try the Hairy Bikers diet book, it's got food that you'd actually want to eat in it. Cut out the alcohol apart from weekend, I've lost two stone since September. Blew it a bit at Christmas though.

advertisement

Back