advertisement

I don't get Genesis, Peter Gabriel or Prog Rock!!!

With about 15 albums Camel are my favourite Prog Rock band. They never seem to get a mention here? I've been religiously going to every live tour since the early 80s and the shows are very well attended and never disappoint. IMO the albums are generally well produced and sound good on a HiFi and the collection is quite varied too.

Moonmadness is amazing especially if you've had a joint or two (I love it just as much these days without enhancements).

Because IMO Camel never had a clear enough image. Perhaps they were slightly too late with first album in 1973.

Er it was prog not top 40

And your point is? Everything needs a good tune to me. I will never get my head around how anyone could like anything tuneless... eg there's a thread about doom metal going on and to me it's not even music. I could get the same effect from listening to a pneumatic drill accompanied by bins being randomly hit with sledge hammers whilst someone attempts to shout over it.... yes we're all different.

With about 15 albums Camel are my favourite Prog Rock band. They never seem to get a mention here? I've been religiously going to every live tour since the early 80s and the shows are very well attended and never disappoint. IMO the albums are generally well produced and sound good on a HiFi and the collection is quite varied too.

Moonmadness is amazing especially if you've had a joint or two (I love it just as much these days without enhancements).
I like Camel as well but have always felt that they were rather weak in the vocals department and probably for that reason are not mentioned in the same breath as some of the other prog rock bands that were around at the same time.

And your point is? Everything needs a good tune to me. I will never get my head around how anyone could like anything tuneless... eg there's a thread about doom metal going on and to me it's not even music. I could get the same effect from listening to a pneumatic drill accompanied by bins being randomly hit with sledge hammers whilst someone attempts to shout over it.... yes we're all different.
Plenty of good tunes in the PG Genesis era - they just need a bit more patience and effort from the listener to reveal themselves.

I like Camel as well but have always felt that they were rather weak in the vocals department and probably for that reason are not mentioned in the same breath as some of the other prog rock bands that were around at the same time.

I agree to a point, but Latimer can get by and set the scene for his amazing playing. Andy ward's drumming was awesome too. To me Latimer can do no wrong and I hang on every note he plays.

FWIW "Mama", "Home by the sea" and "Follow me, follow you" are the sort of Genesis tracks that float my boat...

I do like PG era Genesis but strangely less so the often quoted "highlights" of The Lamb... and Selling....
Trick... and Wind.... were still excellent without him but from Then... onwards I lost interest completely until the Genesis album that was also good for different reasons.
Plenty of good solo output from the various members as well.

Camel are on my radar too, Mirage, Snow Goose, Nude and Moon Madness are in the collection. I haven't given any of their other albums a fair crack to be honest.

All PG era Genesis fans I know (about 3 people so representative :)) consider Foxtrot the apogee. Or was it Nursery Cryme ? Perhaps I will have another listen to decide...

All PG era Genesis fans I know (about 3 people so representative :)) consider Foxtrot the apogee. Or was it Nursery Cryme ? Perhaps I will have another listen to decide...
I think an online poll would reveal 'Selling England' as the high point in the PG era but my personal choice would be Foxtrot.

I do like PG era Genesis but strangely less so the often quoted "highlights" of The Lamb... and Selling....
Trick... and Wind.... were still excellent without him but from Then... onwards I lost interest completely until the Genesis album that was also good for different reasons.
Plenty of good solo output from the various members as well.

Camel are on my radar too, Mirage, Snow Goose, Nude and Moon Madness are in the collection. I haven't given any of their other albums a fair crack to be honest.
Start with 'Mirage' - an excellent and underrated album.

I think an online poll would reveal 'Selling England' as the high point in the PG era but my personal choice would be Foxtrot.

Another great album. Perhaps more mature/normal depending how you look at it.
I would certainly take the PG Genesis and PG solo albums over the PC Genesis and PC solo albums, in fact that is exactly what I did many moons ago.
1968-73 was just a glorious time to be a teenager. Thought that music quality would just continue :rolleyes:

Another great album. Perhaps more mature/normal depending how you look at it.
I would certainly take the PG Genesis and PG solo albums over the PC Genesis and PC solo albums, in fact that is exactly what I did many moons ago.
1968-73 was just a glorious time to be a teenager. Thought that music quality would just continue :rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more - we're obviously of a similar vintage!
Plenty of decent stuff around today though :- Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Anathema, Riverside, Marillion............. to name but a few.

I couldn't agree more - we're obviously of a similar vintage!
Plenty of decent stuff around today though :- Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Anathema, Riverside, Marillion............. to name but a few.

I only like the originals. If I buy anything at all now it would be more like Dylan/Cohen/Morrison/Cave or jazz.

If Genesis is the Waitrose of prog, who would be the Asda ? Barclay James Harvest ?

BJH are a criminally underrated band.

I love all of it up to ABACAB. After that, all the albums have something good to offer and Collins' singing just gets better and better.

Stephen

advertisement

Back