advertisement

I don't get Genesis, Peter Gabriel or Prog Rock!!!

Nobody like prog rock and country. It is one of the immutable laws of the universe.

Weird thing. I was listening to the playback from a gig I played at he weekend and suddenly realised that the Hungarian-prog-folk band I play in have a song that is basically C&W. You get fooled by the language barrier, but I'm playing country bass no question. I suddenly feel a bit dirty tbh.

1. Relax about Prog. Forget about genres generally and listen to the music.
2. Don't try and convince Stephen Bennett that Genesis aren't a hive mind of genius. His posting history suggests a fools errand.
3. I've been listening to Jane Weaver, Slowdive and Floyd this evening. Some of it gets called prog. Some of it gets called something else much cooler. It all sounds pretty connected to me.

I used to love prog when I was at school. Fragile and The Lamb Lies Down were precious pearls.

I wish I could like it now, I try, but it just doesn't work. I love the lyrical parts, but I simply can't tolerate all the mad, sped up sections. Heart of the Sunrise used to send me, but that awful, jagged preface is just unbearable. All that squawking Rick Wakeman keyboard!

I was an absolute Gabriel believer back in the day, I bored my poor mother about him leaving for weeks. Strangely, I listened to one of the post Gabriel LPs the other day, Trick in the Tail or Wind & Wuthering, and it wasn't so bad.

A couple of friends went and saw Yes at the Hammersmith Odeon or whatever it is called now recently. They loved it, and, in the zone, I suspect I would have done so too.

I was an absolute Gabriel believer back in the day, I bored my poor mother about him leaving for weeks. Strangely, I listened to one of the post Gabriel LPs the other day, Trick in the Tail or Wind & Wuthering, and it wasn't so bad.

Common ground at last, ET. :)

I think Trick dates far better than the Gabriel era, however I think the split was good for both parties because PG went on to do great things that also date well.

Strangely the Seconds Out versions of the earlier tracks also date better imo.

I remember buying I know what I like in your wardrobe as a 7" single. My best mate bought the album. Glad I didn't.

Still love that song though.

Bloody Norah. So it twas . Christ on a bike. That brings back some memories... A 15 year old ..who looked old enough.... through the back door at the village pub.. a game of darts.. 2 pints of light ale... the walk back home...that feeling of feeling good.. putting this on .. on headphones. and being woken up a lot later for snoring by the younger sister.

Agreed 100%
One of my favourite bands ever
I agree. Really disliked Phil Collins until I heard him with Brand x but the real star of the band is Percy Jones.
No one has mentioned Rush. My favourite prog band by far. I love the way they evolved with every album.

I quite liked 'Solsbury Hill', and bits of Peter Gabriel's first solo album, but Genesis with or without him always struck me as a load of old cobblers.

Hi there,
Yeah I can see where you're coming from although I love some prog rock, I have the same problem with jazz music a lot of it to me sounds like several 'musicians' all playing different parts of a track/record together at the same time most of it to me is just a row or cacophony of annoying sounds some of which sounds like small pets being tortured or someone that has his/her genital trapped in a door/vice/zip etc.

Don’t see what the big deal is really. No one ‘should’ like a particular genre, but I guess a Hifi forum is populated by an average age who grew up in an era when prog was at its high.
I like some prog, Gabriel for instance & have only recently just started to enjoy Steven Wilson, porcupine tree etc.
I never got into Rush, Tull, ELP, Pink Floyd, etc.
But likewise I love some jazz, but not all of it, classical music likewise.
I hate rap, jungle, hip-hop, drum n bass with a passion, but if others like it, so be it.
Nobody ‘has to’ like any genre.

advertisement

Back