advertisement

I don't get Genesis, Peter Gabriel or Prog Rock!!!

I got 'Trick of the Tail', but eventually sold the LP.

If I can find a cheap original copy in good condition, I will probably buy it

Has anyone here have a spare copy ?

Thanks,
in anticipation.
I have an original copy, but it's not for sale. The first album that I bought at the age of 15 :) Then I bought Foxtrot, got Nursery Crimes as a birthday present and was hooked. Thought nothing compared until I went to see Yes live 1977. After that my music taste progressed. Reasently I listened to Entangled again. What a great song!

Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass, my kind of guy. Genres do have a use, along with stereotypes: they are useful shorthand that communicates (essential?) tribal identities.

I struggle with some prog. I recognise the virtuoso musicianship and the glory of a concept album. I have some prog in my collection, but I am rarely in the mood for what I get from it. Flutes also are not big on my list. I tend to try and find the 'one' album that captures the catalogue. Part of the fun.

I do love Kate Bush (excluding Aerial & 50 Words) though, and I reckon all her albums are prog rock.

Bloody Norah. So it twas . Christ on a bike. That brings back some memories... A 15 year old ..who looked old enough.... through the back door at the village pub.. a game of darts.. 2 pints of light ale... the walk back home...that feeling of feeling good.. putting this on .. on headphones. and being woken up a lot later for snoring by the younger sister.

Bugger me, that sums it up for me. Haha, I grew up with Genesis. I can't criticise it, even though, being objective, some of it was tosh.

Do Magna Carta count as prog or Brit-folk? I bought Lord of the Ages 40+ years ago, and the title track made me cringe even back then.

Some people like music for the "song" and perhaps the lyrics, Neil Young, Tim Buckley, Dylan, Billy Joel etc. Some of those types I like and can tolerate, but in prog the music is more important than the lyrics.
To a person such as myself "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace, and re-arrange your liver..." is far more evocative than "I woke up this morning and my baby done left me..."
But as has already been said here we are all different, all together now "We are all individuals..."

To a person such as myself "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace, and re-arrange your liver..." is far more evocative than "I woke up this morning and my baby done left me..."

On the other hand “I woke up this morning and my baby done re-arranged my liver...” would probably be the start of a BBC4 Saturday night Eurocop drama series.

Surely Charterhouse is a a public rather than a private school?

Just because it’s called a ‘public school’ doesn’t make it one. It’s a private school for privately educated kids. You can see why people prefer to use the term though. The USA has the nomenclature right.

This is a public school. And with a prog theme tune.

grange_hill.jpg

Stephen

Last edited:
With about 15 albums Camel are my favourite Prog Rock band. They never seem to get a mention here? I've been religiously going to every live tour since the early 80s and the shows are very well attended and never disappoint. IMO the albums are generally well produced and sound good on a HiFi and the collection is quite varied too.

Moonmadness is amazing especially if you've had a joint or two (I love it just as much these days without enhancements).

Much better choons under Collins and that, ultimately, is the main thing that matters in music... to me anyway.
More noodly and shoe gazy under Gabriel and things tended to go on and on without going anywhere...

advertisement

Back