advertisement

I don't get Genesis, Peter Gabriel or Prog Rock!!!

I like all five generations of Genesis (Phillips, Collins/Hackett, No Gabriel, No Hackett, the pop years).

Even albums after Duke are pretty sophisticated, well written produced and played pop music. It's of its time and you have to admire the band—they were always songwriters and that's why they succeeded where contemporaries failed.

Stephen

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood.
One of my alltime favorite albums.

They don't get much love, but the Fish years work for me.

I saw him (from backstage) play this at a festival in Poland last year. Not a favourite of mine, but his band were excellent as was he.

Stephen

Same here.

But at the Stone Free festival last year I saw the most recent Marillion incarnation, which it turns out have been going for longer than the Fish years. They were outstanding, a real revelation to me. Mind you I never saw the old Marillion/Fish live anyway.

Saw them with Fish in Toronto way back when.
They did Side one of Misplaced, was F*ckin amazing.
One of the best shows I have ever seen, still comes to mind 20 odd years later.
I have a couple of albums with Hogarth, but it just isn't the same...

I like all five generations of Genesis (Phillips, Collins/Hackett, No Gabriel, No Hackett, the pop years).

Even albums after Duke are pretty sophisticated, well written produced and played pop music. It's of its time and you have to admire the band—they were always songwriters and that's why they succeeded where contemporaries failed.

Stephen
Stephen,
Same here.
I have everything Genesis and all members solo work from day one.
I used to have 12" tape copies from Jonathan Kings originals that used to get lots of play on my Revox A and later B77 until my first born son aged 3 thought it was great fun to roll the spools up and down the living room floor.:mad:
Lucky i also had them on cassette and years later transferred them to CD.

Aaaah! Now your really talking my language can't go wrong with a bit of late nineties post feminist girl power, no prancing about in Foxes Heads I can assure you of that and don't mock Phil Collins okay so Can't Hurry Love may not be very 'Prog' but that drum roll dressed as a gorilla was text book Peter Gabriel just because he didn't have a frock on don't mark him down for that.
I will never mock Phil Collins for his contribution to music or as one of the worlds greatest drummers.
Do you have any John Martyn Albums ?

Try this
51qszAty4rL.jpg

One of my mates who goes to gigs with me doesn't either but he likes country takes all sorts.

Stephen,
Same here.
I have everything Genesis and all members solo work from day one.
I used to have 12" tape copies from Jonathan Kings originals that used to get lots of play on my Revox A and later B77 until my first born son aged 3 thought it was great fun to roll the spools up and down the living room floor.:mad:
Lucky i also had them on cassette and years later transferred them to CD.

Kids eh? What are those?

Stephen

John Wayne always did it for me, going to see Panic Room this Friday to scratch my prog itch.

I played "The Joy of a Toy" by Kevin Ayers today. Doing the ironing. As you do.

Wished I hadn't. It did my head in. Thought my system had broke. All that backwards weirdness.

(Bananamour is one of my favourite albums of all time though)

I must be really strange because I like all types of music as long as its well produced except Rap music which I find very annoying.

advertisement

Back