advertisement

I’m really enjoying the atf3 iii on a Techie 1200 ... how far to go

So I’ve just done a search for a couple of reviews of the 1200G and the reviewers and reviews are really pissing me off..

The reviewers didn’t give the deck more than what appeared to be a couple of sides without thinking they know better than Technics and it’s beheamoth engineering team and quickly move on and add mats, different RCAs and mains leads which of course have the effect of massaging the reviewers egos and they have created something of a masterpiece.

I despair. Can I just get a simple review please. I don’t want to spend £2,500 and yet again be thinking that I need to spend another £500 on a mat and then another mat made of goats testicle hair to make it sound decent.

oh god, don’t start down the route of tuning a G or GR!

I Dont think I could hack it!!

I liked the Yamaha deck as all I can do is change the cart... got a 103r on it and it’s awesome... I just play records and think nothing more of it...

I don’t think I’m cut out to be a Technics tweaker - I wouldn’t know when to stop...

Maybe you don't have to ? I think a few of us are saying you don't have to sink loads of money into ALL those mods, maybe just one or two choice ones, the rewire being the most significant IMO and that is still a lot less cash than even a S/H 1200GR.

Don't get me wrong, i would love a 1200G, but its way out of my league right now ! I also tried the GR and didn't think it was enough of an improvement over my nearly stock deck. I also thought the original 1210MK2 had better build quality and feel.

I am talking about the GR here. It felt kind of plasticky on the arm lift and buttons. Not crap but it surprised me a bit. Try one and see what you think ?

That’s what I’m thinking Amber...

I wonder in a decade how many original, untouched mint 1200’s there might be... so I’m going to leave it be I think..

I have an old unrestored car and it can only be original once!... once restored it ain’t original!!

What are we taking for a G or GR? I know one would be out of budget (edit - I was thinking of the GAE), but I’d happily sell the 1200 and the Yamaha turntable to get a ‘lifer’

1200GAE = £4K if you can get one likely be paying £5K
1210GAE = £4K
1200G = £3.5K but regularly see them at £3K. Used/Ex Demo = £2K-£2.8K
1200GR/1210GR = Used £800-£1K​

Best case sell the GR for £1K and get a used G for a changeover of £1K. Worst case £800 for the GR and get ex demo G for a changeover of £2K.

Would a G beat a pimped out GR performance wise and be similar in cost? I would expect resale to take a hit with a non standard deck though or have to wait for the right buyer/time.

I've decided to leave my GR modifications to just the Mat - which was bought mainly to reduce static, not had/used a TT with a mat for a very long time, in the Office the GR was making LPs crackle like mad when lifting them off, a Funk has almost knocked it on the head.

The only criticism I have is the feel of the Arm Lift, it feels “flimsy”, it does the job perfectly well but I was expecting it to feel nicer/damped/stiffer. The feet seem OK and solid enough.

Gus

So I’ve just done a search for a couple of reviews of the 1200G and the reviewers and reviews are really pissing me off..

The reviewers didn’t give the deck more than what appeared to be a couple of sides without thinking they know better than Technics and it’s beheamoth engineering team and quickly move on and add mats, different RCAs and mains leads which of course have the effect of massaging the reviewers egos and they have created something of a masterpiece.

I despair. Can I just get a simple review please. I don’t want to spend £2,500 and yet again be thinking that I need to spend another £500 on a mat and then another mat made of goats testicle hair to make it sound decent.
Have to admit I bought into all the 80’s BS about DD and no Tone Controls/Features and ignored the 1200 back in the day. Shielding meant spending most of my time in the home office holding things together at work till we saw where things headed so I plumped for a 1200GR a few months back - was from a normal online Auction down in Bristol, put in a daft bid and won it.

What holds me back from moving to a G is the feeling the extra £Thousands will only give a small improvement, it’s a lot of wedge for a better arm lift. I don’t want to change the arm on the GR though so I am probably going to go for a G once a bargain pops up. Reading between the lines of various reviews and owner comments I can’t see the G being a night and day difference, just incremental improvements across the board, need to find someone who’s had both at the same time or done the back to back with the same cart at a dealer.

Agreed. And my next question was re carts... Would a change from a 1200 to a 1200G require a cart rethink.. or would say an AT33 work on both..

Agreed. And my next question was re carts... Would a change from a 1200 to a 1200G require a cart rethink.. or would say an AT33 work on both..
Hopefully the 33 would shine, cos that’s what I’d be using at the start, it’s rrp was £600 so reckon it would work a treat. Too many options/choices, keep the GR and get a really expensive cart, or put a Jelco/Funk arm on and a less expensive but higher up cart than the 33 or go for the G and run the 33.

With the right head shell, sometimes stub weights and even extra mat height or a cart spacer from time to time I can seemingly get mine to play beautifully with just about anything. It's as happy being a 30g EM battleship arm with a Zu 103r as it is being a 10g EM featherweight with a DV K17D2ii is it is in the more standard range with an AT OC9MLii or a Lyra Delos. It is almost unreasonably versatile once you have a few different headshells and counterweights!

Must admit since getting the GR I have acquired a few headshells, breath of fresh air being able to mount a different cart so easily/quickly. The Cyrus Phono makes it dead easy to change settings too.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a heavier counterweight for my GR?

I approached Origin Live, however their response didn’t endear me to use them as I was advised not to bother as the Technics arm is no good. Ok it’s not in SME class but I beg to differ as I think it’s better than given credit for, equal to early Akitos and Linn Basic.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a heavier counterweight for my GR?

I approached Origin Live, however their response didn’t endear me to use them as I was advised not to bother as the Technics arm is no good. Ok it’s not in SME class but I beg to differ as I think it’s better than given credit for, equal to early Akitos and Linn Basic.
The Aux weight not adding enough?

I think there is a lot of legacy/perceived wisdom about Jap DD/Techy TTs and it’s BS

I do use the auxiliary weight but since using the 13g Audio Technica Headshell the weight sits quite a way back from the arm pivot and would like it to sit closer if possible.

I've decided to leave my GR modifications to just the Mat - which was bought mainly to reduce static, not had/used a TT with a mat for a very long time, in the Office the GR was making LPs crackle like mad when lifting them off, a Funk has almost knocked it on the head.

I suffer with static on mine, might give the mat a try

were there any sonic improvements as claimed?

thanks

I suffer with static on mine, might give the mat a try

were there any sonic improvements as claimed?

thanks
Didn’t play many records before I got the Funk, only a dozen or so as the static was doing my head in and was getting worse with every flip. Certainly if there was an improvement it wasn’t in your face, I played the same LP back to back before packing the original mat away and it didn’t register as a proper improvement. Just played a new discogs arrival and zero static when flipped, so in that respect it seems to have sorted my Office static problem.

Thank Amber, I’ll take a look.
fegs since I started wet cleaning I don’t suffer with static any longer, I use the Oyaide mat, can’t say there’s a sonic difference but it is 5mm thick which allows me to correctly set arm height for my oc9 cartridge.

If they think that will make a difference they are morons and should not be allowed to review jelly babies never mind hi fi gear!

The stock cables it comes with are perfectly ok IMO, I take issue with the head shell, other than that it’s all good for me. Oh and the arm height adjustment could do with a little work, which is why I bought a thicker mat.

Would it be sacrilegde putting another mat on top of the standard GR rubbermat ?

I have a 2 mm Herbie mat and 3 mm Acromat lying around unused.

advertisement

Back