advertisement

I’m really enjoying the atf3 iii on a Techie 1200 ... how far to go

approached Origin Live, however their response didn’t endear me to use them as I was advised not to bother as the Technics arm is no good. Ok it’s not in SME class but I beg to differ as I think it’s better than given credit for, equal to early Akitos and Linn Basic.

Probably because they want you to buy one of their arms. The Technics arm once rewired is much much better than most give it credit for.

One of the primary reasons for not taking the 1200 modding too far was precisely the 'where do I get off' nature of upgrade-itis. I had an LP12 previously which I spoilt going for 'upgrades'. For me, the arm rewire/damper/headshell/mat combo was enough to alleviate the main bugbear I had with the stock Techie - that of just sounding a bit dull. Rhythmically spot on but like there was a thick cloth over everything. So I'd say that sweet spot is worthwhile - costing around £400 I reckon - which isn't too far behind the cost of a GR when you factor in a nice secondhand old-skool 1200. But I'd still want the arm damper (especially for running an MC cart) and possibly the mat on a GR, I think they've sorted the arm wiring out. I'd be tempted to pony up for a GR just because the motor unit is so much better... but then there's that lovely engraved logo on the G...

advertisement

Back