advertisement

I’m really enjoying the atf3 iii on a Techie 1200 ... how far to go

Rug Doc

pfm Member
Really enjoying the dynamics and sound of the Audio Technica atf3 iii on my 1200. I seem to like the Technica house sound and it seems to suit my musical preferences well... electronic music with strong bass and a superb sounstage and placement is what I crave.

How does this rate in the AT lineup? And how far should I think about going with the AT lineup on a totally standard 1200 mk2?

I agree that AT carts and the Technics have a real good synergy going on. I have tried some pretty good MC carts on the stock arm and although good, i think its top flight MM carts which allow it to shine IMO. Anything from the AT 500/700 series but also the AT33PTG if you fancied sticking with MC.

May also be worth getting the arm rewired. That will open up the soundstage a lot and reveal stuff which the stock arm wiring doesn't quite get. Beyond that the stock deck takes you a long way and perfect with the music you like.

Interesting thanks! On my other deck (Yamaha YP D9) I have a Denon 103r Midas body, and use an MC phonostage (Cambridge Audio 640p, going to be upgraded to an Arkless GTI when Jez asks for it) so I have MC covered.

Really fascinating that you think MM work possibly better... I’ll look into this, but was thinking of an AT33, but wondering if it were a step too far...?

what would you recommend as a tonearm cable upgrade? I’m only really interested in doing this and possibly adding a KAB damper... I really don’t want to go down a big, expensive upgrade path with this deck!!!

Due to shielding I bought a 1200GR for the home office, I’d expect your Mk2 to be broadly similar. The ease of cart swapping with the removable headshell meant I started messing with the spare carts I had around and then buying some I fancied listening to. Over the years I’ve owned most of the F and OC range, not heard any of the recently released ranges though. Top of the pile so far is an AT33 PTG/II, seems to suit the Techy and the kind of music I spin, a fair bit better all round than the OC5, my OC9ML/II was knackered so just bought a NOS one. I’ve a few carts/shells in play at present, gives me a break from the day job. Of the others I’d rate the Hana EL as the most even all round. Big fan of the Dynavector 10x5 and all the models right back to the Ultimo 10x.

Changed/tried tonearm cables (Van Damme lo cap preferred so far) and mats (Funk) but not considered a rewire due to the hassle it would involve. I have P75mk4 and Cyrus Phono stages.

There seem to be a lot up tweaks/upgrades/psus around for the 1200 Mk2 but you can end up down a rabbit hole and I’m not sure how cost effective they are or if you’ll recoup much if you sell the deck.

Re. The described dynamic of ATf3,

interesting indeed.
Many reviews indicate those cheaper 3, 5, even OC7 lacks in dynamic abilities, other advantages untold.

Some of these older AT seem to be available in limitted numbers, makes the market crowded.
TBH i'm considering one but can't really decide.

The 1200 works very well with an MM. I am very happy with an AT440 on mine. I found (to my surprise) that an Ortofon headshell works better than the Technics one with this cart. I'd not hesitate to go up the Audio Technica MM ladder but personally I would not bother with an MC on it. There seems to be a special synergy between MM & the 1200.

Do you mean older 1200 and/or G/GR ?

I have some old headshells lying around, a 7.5 gram AT for example.(from my youth)

Noticed those VM95/5xx/7xx can be ordered with headshells too, at very little extra outlay.

what would you recommend as a tonearm cable upgrade? I’m only really interested in doing this and possibly adding a KAB damper... I really don’t want to go down a big, expensive upgrade path with this deck!!!
I got mine rewired by Jonnie (or J7 as he is also known) of Audio Origami fame. Did a fantastic job and really transformed the sound !
Was less than £ 200 so i think its not too much of an expense for the sound increase.

As others would say, you can also get the KAB fluid damper, which i haven't done yet. There re other more serious upgrades you can do, such as PS and bearing upgrade, but personally i wanted to keep my deck fairly stock since i wasn't totally convinced that a butchered deck would keep its value, or give the SQ increase i wanted. Very happy now with the deck as it is.

Oh and i forgot to say i do also have Isonue feet and the 5mm Acromat too, which gives more control for VTA adjustment. Beyond that it works great with an AT540ML and MG10 headshell.

Do you mean older 1200 and/or G/GR ?

I have some old headshells lying around, a 7.5 gram AT for example.(from my youth)

Noticed those VM95/5xx/7xx can be ordered with headshells too, at very little extra outlay.

The 1200mk2. I don't know about the GR or G. It's worthwhile experimenting with different headshells. The Ortofon headshell is heavier than the standard Technics one. The 440Mlb is a pretty compliant MM, so a heavier shell is theoretically not necessary. I was surprised myself with the difference.

I had a 1200 rewired by AO. KAB damper too. Also a Sumiko headshell, and a machined Brass counterweight. Other than that, and Isonoe feet, it was standard. Sounded exceptionally good with my AT33PTG on it. I had no desire to upgrade further.

Been looking at the AO site and can’t find reference to the rewire.. can you remember what you guys had done??

im quite handy, so could do a rewire myself, but would love some recommendations of cable (kits?)

I want the deck to look standard, so no new feet.. it’s on a decent rack, so am happy with that!!

Its best to give J7 a call and let him talk you through it. But just looking at the invoice it says.
cardas 33ga off internal rewire
super ofc external cable and earth wires
foam fill arm tube

Works a treat btw. Prior to the rewire the sound was much darker and a bit closed in and lacking in resolution.

I replaced the Technics footers with the Isoacoustics pucks (basic studio model). It really works and the pucks look very similar to the original feet.

I want the deck to look standard, so no new feet.. it’s on a decent rack, so am happy with that!!

Its best to give J7 a call and let him talk you through it. But just looking at the invoice it says.
cardas 33ga off internal rewire
super ofc external cable and earth wires
foam fill arm tube

Works a treat btw. Prior to the rewire the sound was much darker and a bit closed in and lacking in resolution.

Identical to mine (it was done by a previous owner but I had the receipt)

Well worth it - that, and the fluid damper, really lifts the arm to another level in terms of clarity and getting rid of any 'muddiness' (often levelled at the old 1200 series). The only other thing I would have done would be to damp the platter somehow - probably DynaMat - as it does ring a bit. I had a mat on there (from the chap in Devon, can't remember the company) but an Achromat or similar is a worthwhile addition.

As to feet - you could try spikes, or Sorbothane hemispheres. The original feet are pants, so it is worth experimenting with alternates.

and the fluid damper, really lifts the arm to another level in terms of clarity and getting rid of any 'muddiness' (often levelled at the old 1200 series)
Thats good to know as i have been undecided whether to do this mod yet, but all reports seem to say its well worth it.

I have asked this before on another thread, but has anyone here tried any of the third party fluid dampers instead of the KAB version ?

By the time you pimp a Mk2 or GR wouldn’t a swap to a used G make more sense?

How much would an arm rewire, ISO or Boing! feet, KAB damper, mat, motor and Mike New bearing add up to?

That’s what I’m thinking Amber...

I wonder in a decade how many original, untouched mint 1200’s there might be... so I’m going to leave it be I think..

I have an old unrestored car and it can only be original once!... once restored it ain’t original!!

What are we taking for a G or GR? I know one would be out of budget (edit - I was thinking of the GAE), but I’d happily sell the 1200 and the Yamaha turntable to get a ‘lifer’

By the time you pimp a Mk2 or GR wouldn’t a swap to a used G make more sense?

How much would an arm rewire, ISO or Boing! feet, KAB damper, mat, motor and Mike New bearing add up to?

I reckon you've got a point there!!

I'm a firm believer that there's a fair few people who will prefer original unmolested examples of things, be it cars, bikes or turntables etc

if it were me as far as the Technics is concerned I'd just buy the next model up according to budget

That's what I like about the technics though, the next model up is just an improved / better version of whatever you've got

Or at least that's how I view it

Not everyone's cup of tea I know

Would love a Jelco 750 on my GR

oh god, don’t start down the route of tuning a G or GR!

I Dont think I could hack it!!

I liked the Yamaha deck as all I can do is change the cart... got a 103r on it and it’s awesome... I just play records and think nothing more of it...

I don’t think I’m cut out to be a Technics tweaker - I wouldn’t know when to stop...

advertisement

Back