advertisement

Howto: TeddyReg

Neil,

Maybe the 1086 requires more current being drawn to regulate properly than your 317. What's the value of your resistor between 317 output and adj pins?

David

TeddyReg modified schematic.jpg

sorry, my first go at loading images

TeddyReg modified schematic.jpg

not sure in sizing first time

I have input 26.5V, output at LM1086 24V, output of last stage 22V

Neil,

Perhaps you are unlucky. 187R will pull 6.7mA through the programming resistors which is higher than the LT1086 typical value of 5mA. But as Teddy says some 1086s will require 10mA to regulate. Usually the current drawn by the load gets the total up to 10mA. Any idea what your load is drawing?

If you want to try the 1086 again, redoing the programming resistors based on replacing the 187R with a 120R should do it even with no load.

David

hi teddy

I would like to thanks you for sharing this superb regulator. It really an upgrade compare to normal ref i use

Whats the max capacitance this teddyreg confortable with? I have 20uF at the output of teddyreg and use 1 foot of wire to connect to the board its supplying. But the board has 220uf. Is it ok or I better take out the 220uF ?

edit:
another questions:
if i change lm317 to lm338, will i get 5A out of this schematic instead of 1.5A with lm317?
or i better of use powerReg for 5A? as i am using this to power the ta2020 tripath amp. which draw i think less than 1A but has peak of more than 2A with 13.8v. the designer suggest 2.4A min. suggestions?

Thanks
Erwin

Apologies in advance if I've missed something (a lot of things, perhaps) in this thread...
The SuperTeddyReg project is intriguing but the description has -- for me at least -- no clear discussion on how the builder can create voltage-specific SuperTeddyRegs. IMO, there should be some math formula, given in opening of the description/discussion, that clearly states something like:

Vout = some algebraic relationship of specific- (or variable-) value topological components

(Yes, I know that the SuperTR is based on std. TR, the latter of which has a calc. formula a few paras down. Not sure the translation to the SuperTR is that straighfwd/trivial).
Did I overlook something obvious?

Does anyone know of a US supplier for vero pins? Maybe someone can sell me a few? I'm placing an order with Newark and a few items want to ship from UK. There's a 20 dollar (approx 12 quid) charge to have that ship. Oh yeah.. I'm placing an order with digikey anyone need anything?

M

It's exactly what it sounds like. Wet tants use a liquid or gel electrolyte - typically sulphuric acid. Solid tants use a dry electrolyte - Manganese Dioxide.

advertisement

Back