advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
But if most Scots vote nationalist/racist then fair enough.

It's funny how you keep going on about nationalists and racists, yet Labour have shot themselves electorally in the head by chasing after these very same Leavers.

It's good to see Labour's percentage has fallen further in the poll.

Jack

It's funny how you keep going on about nationalists and racists, yet Labour have shot themselves electorally in the head by chasing after these very same Leavers.

Jack
How has Labour been chasing after "these very same leavers?"

It's funny how you keep hankering for that hard-brexit, Jack. Are you sure you switched from hard-leave to hard-remain?

Jack

I was surprised by the number of Conservative voters - pfm must be riddled with mad people.

I don’t recall many people arguing that Brexit is the only political line that mattered; most of them acknowledge the excellence of the Labour manifesto, but Brexit overshadows everything because it is bigger than anything else, and dealing with the fallout will inevitably limit opportunities to enact the other stuff.

You’ve had three years to explain why that assumption doesn’t hold water. Still waiting, AFAIK.
We've been around the houses a dozen times on how much more damaging austerity was and is than a soft Brexit. Drood had the facts and figures, but gave up, because it was exactly like arguing with a hard Brexiter insisting that no deal would be OK: "Oh, they [well-respected mainstream economists] haven't taken this into account!" "Yes they have." "Yeah, but..." etc. You don't want to be talked out of this assumption.

Insisting that Brexit is the most important political issue - to the point that it doesn't matter if the Tories and/or the Brexit Party form the next government, because their position on Brexit is the same o_O - is a very strong statement of one's political values and priorities, and one for which there is no economic alibi.

Ah, the customer has got it wrong argument. That usually ends up only one way. They go elsewhere
How many thousands of pages of strategising and debate, and now you're a shopper waiting for the right ad? I assume people are voting on the basis of their interests, values and priorities. And if they're prepared to put the Tories back in power rather than compromise on Brexit, those interests, values and priorities are crystal clear, aren't they? There's not a lot Labour could do to win over these particular shoppers short of abandoning their own values, and the poor - and let's face it, the fact that they won't is what has people so red in the face to begin with.

We've been around the houses a dozen times on how much more damaging austerity was and is than a soft Brexit. Drood had the facts and figures, but gave up, because it was exactly like arguing with a hard Brexiter insisting that no deal would be OK: "Oh, they [well-respected mainstream economists] haven't taken this into account!" "Yes they have." "Yeah, but..." etc. You don't want to be talked out of this assumption.
That's, as ever, a bit high-handed of you Sean. Firstly, we're not facing the prospect of a soft Brexit. And moreover Brexiting, even of the softest, fluffiest variety, doesn't fix Austerity, so that's a complete non-sequitur. Brexiting makes it more difficult to unpick Austerity. If Austerity hadn't happened, perhaps Brexit wouldn't be so devastating, but Brexit compounds Austerity, it can't fix it.

Your argument is, basically, 'don't object to this shit thing, because it's not as shit as a shit thing that has already happened.' That's not a tenable argument for quelling concern over the new shit thing, now is it?

Insisting that Brexit is the most important political issue - to the point that it doesn't matter if the Tories and/or the Brexit Party form the next government, because their position on Brexit is the same o_O - is a very strong statement of one's political values and priorities, and one for which there is no economic alibi.
Brexit may, or may not be the most important issue; but it is surely one of the most urgent. So, priorities...

And, as I have maintained since day one: Brexit is about a whole lot more than just the economic arguments. So refuting my firm objection to Brexit by refuting just one facet of my concern really doesn't cut it.

Ah yes, the threat we should all vote Labour because we risk "putting the Tories in power" - nothing to do with Labour not having an alternative policy on the biggest single issue.

No one appears to want soft boiled egg Brexit any longer. Jeremy is selling something there’s no demand for and his overdraft is going to run out. The Tories won’t back it, Farage won’t, Steve Baker and Co. will burn down Parliament. The only form it remotely exists in is Treeza’s and that’s a Dodo now. It’s now death or glory Brexit- the hard one or call the whole shitshow off. Ask the public what they want.

The only realistic advantage of a soft Brexit would be that both sides would hate it, so it might be the only way to bring them together again. I'd have to seriously consider supporting that.

That's, as ever, a bit high-handed of you Sean. Firstly, we're not facing the prospect of a soft Brexit.
"Prospects" now is it? We could talk about prospects, but bringing up actual scenarios and actual constraints usually invites accusations of 5D chess sophistry - which is just one of the things that makes hard remainers the mirror image of Faragists ("Just leave!" "Just stay!") But let's just say that a soft Brexit with Labour, however unlikely, is still about a billion times more likely than any of the remain parties actually doing what they're promising to do, and stopping Brexit. That is not in their power and it never will be. It's not in any way a likely prospect. So what are you voting for?

And moreover Brexiting, even of the softest, fluffiest variety, doesn't fix Austerity, so that's a complete non-sequitur. Brexiting makes it more difficult to unpick Austerity. If Austerity hadn't happened, perhaps Brexit wouldn't be so devastating, but Brexit compounds Austerity, it can't fix it.
Of course it can't fix it. But it won't stop Labour fixing it either - and to claim otherwise is dogma. Soft Brexit simply would not be the devastating event that some people seem to need it to be.

And, as I have maintained since day one: Brexit is about a whole lot more than just the economic arguments. So refuting my firm objection to Brexit by refuting just one facet of my concern really doesn't cut it.
My point is that once you strip away the economic alibi, these other facets are what we're left with - and what you're prioritising over ending austerity and reforming the economy: they're your values. And, as with the Faragists', they're identarian: openness, European identity and so on. That's fine: I mean, openness at least is a positive value. But why not own it? Why not say, These values are so important that I think that 5 more years austerity, and a hard Brexit, are a price worth paying to uphold them?

No one appears to want soft boiled egg Brexit any longer. Jeremy is selling something there’s no demand for and his overdraft is going to run out. The Tories won’t back it, Farage won’t, Steve Baker and Co. will burn down Parliament. The only form it remotely exists in is Treeza’s and that’s a Dodo now. It’s now death or glory Brexit- the hard one or call the whole shitshow off. Ask the public what they want.
Yes, practically speaking it's no deal or remain, as far as I can see, and Labour will inevitably come down on the side of remain. (Sorry, 5D chess!) But by then it will be too late for many here, because Jeremy is not pure of heart: he will just be chasing votes, like a typical slimy politician! He doesn't feel European in his soul!

That is not in their power and it never will be. It's not in any way a likely prospect. So what are you voting for?

It is not in Labour’s power. Even if there was a GE soon, which I suspect is increasingly unlikely, Labour would end up with less seats than they have now. As such there will be far more ‘hard remain’ voices in the HoC than there are now, which can only be a good thing IMHO.

It is not in Labour’s power. Even if there was a GE soon, which I suspect is increasingly unlikely, Labour would end up with less seats than they have now. As such there will be far more ‘hard remain’ voices in the HoC than there are now, which can only be a good thing IMHO.
It's good that you're acknowledging that it's not in Labour's gift to stop Brexit, or to deliver a public vote (they've tried). It does make it more obvious what's being asked of them though, doesn't it? A performance.

And no, it's not a good thing if you get more hard remain voices in the HoC, since the only way that could happen is at the cost of a no deal majority - and then we'll be out, in the worst way possible. But at least you'll feel represented, eh? No more political homelessness!

Yes, practically speaking it's no deal or remain, as far as I can see, and Labour will inevitably come down on the side of remain. (Sorry, 5D chess!) But by then it will be too late for many here, because Jeremy is not pure of heart: he will just be chasing votes, like a typical slimy politician! He doesn't feel European in his soul!

A hung parliament with Greens, SNP, Lib Dems etc preventing Corbyn from implementing a McCluskey-pushed Brexit is a far, far better prospect than a Corbyn majority (which would never happen anyway). This is what huge numbers of us will be voting for.

The logical thing is to vote against either Brexit Party or Conservative in any two-way marginal seat, even if that means voting Labour, but vote for the more credible progressive in any other seat.

Ah yes, the threat we should all vote Labour because we risk "putting the Tories in power" - nothing to do with Labour not having an alternative policy on the biggest single issue.
Labour does have an alternative policy, not that everyone believes brexit is the biggest single issue. In my view, the tory destruction of public services is a bigger issue.

A hung parliament with Greens, SNP, Lib Dems etc preventing Corbyn from implementing a McCluskey-pushed Brexit is a far, far better prospect than a Corbyn majority (which would never happen anyway). This is what huge numbers of us will be voting for.

The logical thing is to vote against either Brexit Party or Conservative in any two-way marginal seat, even if that means voting Labour, but vote for the more credible progressive in any other seat.
Strategically, that's just bananas: the level of co-ordination it would require to get just the right balance for a hung parliament would be simply impossible. Get it wrong - and only sheer dumb luck would get it right - and inevitably, if this strategy is followed, the balance will tip in favour of no deal Brexiteers. It's the single most reckless thing I've heard from Remain. Have you contacted The Guardian?

Maybe he’ll whip for the Brexit option? It was after all, the will of the people. We are leaving the EU in under five months, so he’ll need to make up his mind or tell his parliamentary party to go back to their constituencies and prepare for oblivion when Johnson faces him in the next general election. A more sensible outcome for Labour would be to get rid of him now.

Maybe he’ll whip for the Brexit option? It was after all, the will of the people. We are leaving the EU in under five months, so he’ll need to make up his mind or tell his parliamentary party to go back to their constituencies and prepare for oblivion when Johnson faces him in the next general election. A more sensible outcome for Labour would be to get rid of him now.
For who? This kind of talk just shows remainers' hand, and the poverty of it.

advertisement

Back