advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
It’s fascinating to see how people have shifted since last time there was a GE voting intention poll on pfm. IIRC, that produced a handsome majority for Labour. Can anyone remember who posted it? I’m trying to find it.
I think lots of people who are used to being over-represented are basically bewildered by the fact that neither of the main parties is reflecting their views back at them. They're adrift, and signing up to a culture war has given them some orientation. The symmetry with Farage's followers is obvious: on the one hand angry people who just want an exit, into what they don't know or care; on the other, angry people who just want to stay and don't care how.

That might be overcomplicating things: an alternative explanation is simply that it's taken people a while to come to an arrangement with themselves, and put self-interest first.

Yes, very difficult.

Do they self harm, vote to make themselves poorer by leaving their biggest market, beg for membership of the EU in the hope the EU wants another net-taker? Or do they vote Labour, remain part of their biggest market and be a part of the UK as we move forward without a tory govt? I suppose it will depend on how nationalist/racist they have become.

As far as I'm concerned I hope they show common sense, vote Labour and remain part of the UK. But if most Scots vote nationalist/racist then fair enough.

This is (at least) the second time you've made this ridiculous and outrageous assertion - in what way is support for an Independent Scotland 'racist? :confused:

The voting for general election has become meaningless to me without first sorting out Brexit and I think majority of people in the UK feel the same. There should be elections strictly in regard to all options of Brexit, that way my vote may mean something and will decide the course for UK.

I think lots of people who are used to being over-represented are basically bewildered by the fact that neither of the main parties is reflecting their views back at them. They're adrift, and signing up to a culture war has given them some orientation. The symmetry with Farage's followers is obvious: on the one hand angry people who just want an exit, into what they don't know or care; on the other, angry people who just want to stay and don't care how.

That might be overcomplicating things: an alternative explanation is simply that it's taken people a while to come to an arrangement with themselves, and put self-interest first.
If this is the sort of analysis which is taking place in the Labour Party, then it is hardly surprising it is haemorrhaging support almost as fast as the Tories. Labour is clearly content to abandon its ‘broad church’ but that is not without consequences.

We have seen how it has blamed not being in power for its failure to act as an effective opposition, despite that being its job. We are supposed to infer that things will be very different if it gains power. And yet, it seems to be quite content to drive away those who would support it, but who lack sufficient ideological purity.

It’s almost as though it is subconsciously afraid of exercising any power, or wielding influence, lest it be found out. Far easier to pretend a mastery of 5D chess from the sidelines.

Wow, that’s projecting almost Boris Johnson levels of entitlement and revisionism onto a political party! I guess I’ll never grasp the level of tribalism that fanatical Tory or Labour party members or activists feel, but I do find the above quite astonishing and if it is a credible representation of internal groupthink it certainly explains why things are now in such obvious decline for Labour.

Meanwhile the rest of us will just have a peep at a few manifestos, listen to a few leader’s speeches and cast our votes for the party nearest to us at the point in time an election occurs.

If this is the sort of analysis which is taking place in the Labour Party, then it is hardly surprising it is haemorrhaging support almost as fast as the Tories. Labour is clearly content to abandon its ‘broad church’ but that is not without consequences.

We have seen how it has blamed not being in power for its failure to act as an effective opposition, despite that being its job. We are supposed to infer that things will be very different if it gains power. And yet, it seems to be quite content to drive away those who would support it, but who lack sufficient ideological purity.

It’s almost as though it is subconsciously afraid of exercising any power, or wielding influence, lest it be found out. Far easier to pretend a mastery of 5D chess from the sidelines.
Just my take. Also, the “broad church” and “ideological purity” memes aren’t really available to self-styled moderates any more, since they decided that Brexit was the only political line that mattered and that Tories and Labour are therefore basically the same. They’re lost, IMO: they’ll set fire to the country rather than admit they’re wrong about that - and still they’ll be moaning that left wing fanatics have it in for them.

Wow, that’s projecting almost Boris Johnson levels of entitlement and revisionism onto a political party! I guess I’ll never grasp the level of tribalism that fanatical Tory or Labour party members or activists feel, but I do find the above quite astonishing and if it is a credible representation of internal groupthink it certainly explains why things are now in such obvious decline for Labour.

Meanwhile the rest of us will just have a peep at a few manifestos, listen to a few leader’s speeches and cast our votes for the party nearest to us at the point in time an election occurs.
No you won’t: you’ll vote as if the single most important thing in the world is that a party reflects your own views on Brexit back at you.

Just my take. Also, the “broad church” and “ideological purity” memes aren’t really available to self-styled moderates any more, since they decided that Brexit was the only political line that mattered and that Tories and Labour are therefore basically the same. They’re lost, IMO: they’ll set fire to the country rather than admit they’re wrong about that - and still they’ll be moaning that left wing fanatics have it in for them.
I don’t recall many people arguing that Brexit is the only political line that mattered; most of them acknowledge the excellence of the Labour manifesto, but Brexit overshadows everything because it is bigger than anything else, and dealing with the fallout will inevitably limit opportunities to enact the other stuff.

You’ve had three years to explain why that assumption doesn’t hold water. Still waiting, AFAIK.

Ah, the customer has got it wrong argument. That usually ends up only one way. They go elsewhere

No you won’t: you’ll vote as if the single most important thing in the world is that a party reflects your own views on Brexit back at you.

Our economic stability, security, place in the global community and stemming the rise of far right nationalism/protectionism are the most important things, so yes, I’ll be voting for one the parties that best reflect those priorities. You seem to think my natural home is Labour and imply the party behaves like a spurned lover should I decline its advances. I have no idea why you have this impression as I’m a centre-left social democrat and I only ever pick whichever party is closest to me. I have no political loyalty and never have had.

I assume you’ll be voting for the party that reflects your views right back at you. Your views and mine are clearly very different, and I have no issue with that.

PS For clarity can you just confirm are you a long-term Labour voter or a new recruit under Corbyn? If the latter who did you vote for previously? I find it all rather interesting.

This is (at least) the second time you've made this ridiculous and outrageous assertion - in what way is support for an Independent Scotland 'racist? :confused:
Don’t take it personally. I simply don’t see much difference between nationalism and racism, it’s a very small step, imo.

As I’ve said that you missed, I’ve lived in Scotland, I love the place and the people, it’s a real shame they’ve turned to nationalism and wish to break from the UK.

If it makes you feel better I will simply refer to nationalists from now on, just be clear that imo nationalism is not a good thing wherever it turns up.

The voting for general election has become meaningless to me without first sorting out Brexit and I think majority of people in the UK feel the same. There should be elections strictly in regard to all options of Brexit, that way my vote may mean something and will decide the course for UK.
Well I don’t. I prefer a GE.

Don’t take it personally. I simply don’t see much difference between nationalism and racism, it’s a very small step, imo.

As I’ve said that you missed, I’ve lived in Scotland, I love the place and the people, it’s a real shame they’ve turned to nationalism and wish to break from the UK.

If it makes you feel better I will simply refer to nationalists from now on, just be clear that imo nationalism is not a good thing wherever it turns up.
You also enjoy a good curry I bet. You see, I have a long memory and remember various posts by you on ‘Scottish themes’ that predate Brexit and the Scottish independence referendum.

You also enjoy a good curry I bet. You see, I have a long memory and remember various posts by you on ‘Scottish themes’ that predate Brexit and the Scottish independence referendum.
I didn’t eat out often when I lived in Scotland so I never had a curry, but when playing in a pub pool team I did develop a taste for stovies. Had my first Guinness there too.

When it comes to curry I prefer Chinese, so while I do like curry I’m not a fanatic. People I know who go to Indian restaurants tell me I don’t know what curry is, though I do like a balti now and again. Never had one in Scotland though. Birmingham was the first place I had a balti. 1987 I think it was.

Quite partial to fish and chips, must be haddock. I like battered sausage and chips and did grapple once with a deep fried scotch pie and chips in Scotland.

Good of you to be so interested and presenting me the opportunity to let you know a bit about my eating habits.

I have no interest in any of your habits. You seem a bit weird.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back