advertisement

How will you vote on December 12? (Anonymous)

Which party will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Con

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Lab

Votes: 125 53.2%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • SNP

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Green

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The marker will be called in one day!!! If our own national debt wasn't eye-watering enough the size of the American one is getting so large as to be difficult to conceive.

I was criticised recently for asking the question about how much can you spend if you only £5 in your pocket and accused of not understanding economics on the grander scale. Lending against projected growth is one thing but we are continuously losing that battle as adjudged by ever increasing national debts.

Just what are we leaving our children?

Regards

Richard
A functioning infrastructure, economy, society and planet?

Honestly you can't pay off a debt if your economy's in terminal decline due to a failure to invest (or because it's under water).

According to Jeremy Corbyn I'm in the fortunate position of being in the top 5% of wage earners, just how much of my earnings do people on this forum feel I should sacrifice in the national interest? 30%? 40%. 50%. More?

Its not really an answerable question without further detail as any tax arrives at different thresholds, so the percentage you would pay earning say £160k (as a trade union leader or whatever) would be very different to say £3-5m like some corporate MDs/financial sharks/Tory donors etc.

From a personal perspective I feel taxation should be returned to something like the Thatcher years, which was a top rate of 60% or so IIRC. Maybe a little more at the multi-£m level. That is clearly more than Corbyn is proposing, but Tories don’t do reality so the argument is never made.

But a little of you believes it, believes Boris will stay firm on his word on the 21st Jan, even though after his short stint as PM he has the worst ever record for any leader of any party in the history of UK politics when it comes to votes in parliament to get stuff squeezed through. He has lost every vote just in case you haven't kept up with matters which shows a real lack of foresight & immaturity.

Look, you have the balls to come on here in the face of much opposition which i admire so at the very least admit you believe the word of Boris, otherwise you may as well vote Black country party :D

Indeed, you are quite correct on the keeping up with matters part - But to question my choice to do this as a lack of foresight and maturity is pretty disrespectful. The character of many of you in this forum has truly been highlighted in this thread

Very much a dragons den...

Just to say I don't hang on the word of Boris but believe he is the man to do the job, time will tell of course

Cheers

Its not really an answerable question without further detail as any tax arrives at different thresholds, so the percentage you would pay earning say £160k (as a trade union leader or whatever) would be very different to say £3-5m like some corporate MDs/financial sharks/Tory donors etc.

From a personal perspective I feel taxation should be returned to something like the Thatcher years, which was a top rate of 60% or so IIRC. Maybe a little more at the multi-£m level. That is clearly more than Corbyn is proposing, but Tories don’t do reality so the argument is never made.

I think we should move away from focusing on personal taxation which will always be devisive and set the have-nots against the perceived have's, perhaps we should all focus on ensuring companies pay their fair share or, one of my favourites, getting the aviation companies to pay VAT (as a minimum) on aviation fuel???????

Regards

Richard

The marker will be called in one day!!! If our own national debt wasn't eye-watering enough the size of the American one is getting so large as to be difficult to conceive.

I was criticised recently for asking the question about how much can you spend if you only £5 in your pocket and accused of not understanding economics on the grander scale. Lending against projected growth is one thing but we are continuously losing that battle as adjudged by ever increasing national debts.

Just what are we leaving our children?

Regards

Richard
It all depends what you are borrowing for.

If it's for green energy, trains, health, education etc I'd say we are doing our children a favour.

Indeed, you are quite correct on the keeping up with matters part - But to question my choice to do this as a lack of foresight and maturity is pretty disrespectful. The character of many of you in this forum has truly been highlighted in this thread

Just to say I don't hang on the word of Boris but believe he is the man to do the job, time will tell of course

Cheers
Duped by a cvnt. Good luck with that. Easy for him wasn't it?

If it's for green energy, trains, health, education etc I'd say we are doing our children a favour.

I'm not convinced that such as HS2 is the right way to be heading.

Education yes.

As a country we need to have sensible discussions about precisely what we expect the NHS to do for us and what should be covered outwith the NHS as people seem to to expect EVERYTHING to be dealt with by the NHS and that simply isn't possible. Given the demographic time bomb as a result of the baby boom in the 50's (myself included) we will cripple/ overwhelm the NHS...........

and as for affording pensions........

Regards

Richard

Cheers
He'll do a job on us alright.

I think we should move away from focusing on personal taxation which will always be devisive and set the have-nots against the perceived have's, perhaps we should all focus on ensuring companies pay their fair share or, one of my favourites, getting the aviation companies to pay VAT (as a minimum) on aviation fuel???????

I feel progressive taxation is essential for a fair and functional society. The alternative is a ‘flat tax’ and those arguing for it are coincidentally always millionaire sharks and con-artists like Nigel Farage, Arron Banks and their ilk as basically it means they keep far more money and the checkout girl at Asda has an even more miserable existence than she does right now. Anything other than progressive taxation absolutely hammers the working poor and also does the middle classes no favours.

Business taxation needs to be balanced very carefully, especially now as we are on the verge of an economic death-spiral thanks to Brexit that will take out huge numbers of companies that are currently only just keeping their heads above water. This is an area I disagree with Corbyn etc as I think the result of ‘radical’ taxation here will be even higher levels of mass unemployment than is already coming. I do however certainly believe in ‘green’ taxation (and incentives) and no VAT on aviation fuel is just utterly bonkers and needs changing immediately.

I'm not convinced that such as HS2 is the right way to be heading.

Education yes.

As a country we need to have sensible discussions about precisely what we expect the NHS to do for us and what should be covered outwith the NHS as people seem to to expect EVERYTHING to be dealt with by the NHS and that simply isn't possible. Given the demographic time bomb as a result of the baby boom in the 50's (myself included) we will cripple/ overwhelm the NHS...........

and as for affording pensions........

Regards

Richard
I agree with you about hs2, I was speaking more generally about train use.

A functioning infrastructure, economy, society and planet?

Honestly you can't pay off a debt if your economy's in terminal decline due to a failure to invest (or because it's under water).
There’s only one thing better than an enormous gelt pile and that’s having plenty of paups to wave it around in front of as El Mick was find of reminding us,

Now, Joe. I'm not a businessman and I suspect you're not either, but if you were presiding over a rundown factory and were offered a loan at 0% to invest in essential maintenance and equipment that would allow you to exploit existing capacities and profitable new markets, would you say, "No way! Neither a lender not a borrower be!"

Or would you act rationally?

I would absolutely take the loan ( don't believe it would be 0% but ... whatever )

But my point was that that would increase the national debt ( and not that it would be a bad thing so to do. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back