Votes: 19 8.8%
  • £1m to £2m

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Over £2m

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • £100k to £200k

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters
a bit of stress is good for you i think , not too much mind !!!

People stress over different things. For example, job interviews never bothered me, whereas Mrs H would be in a right state if faced with one. I'm also incredibly lazy, and am quite happy doing nothing, but my brother-in-law gets stressed out if he's not busy, so lockdown is freaking him out because he can't get to his workshop.

Depends, as ever. There is such a thing as a minimal stimulation level. We have all spent time at home in the last year, it is so boring that it becomes itself a source of stress. Meanwhile we have all known people who give up highly demanding jobs at a young age and take early retirement, only to become either dull, eccentric or unpleasant after a couple of years. Working keeps you young. Now maybe you don't want to have to do 50 hours a week plus travelling, but you don't want to have no function in the world.

Perhaps I manage to randomly fill my time with largely meaningless tasks that keep me content enough.
Laying awake in bed at night worrying about a struggling business would’ve killed me by now. Unless a business can see you retired or at least stepping back from the front line by 55, I can’t see the point.

Still, if we were all like me, the world world be ‘slightly’ different :)

I find it immensely depressing that people define themselves by the paid remuneration they do.
Working was killing me and retirement set me free to travel, paint, write, read, listen to music as and when I feel like.
Without a doubt the best years of my life have been since I shrugged off the yoke of work.
I know several drudges who cannot see beyond the next paycheck, can’t wait to get out of the house away from their partner, have no personal ambition outside 9-5.

Something to hide? If it’s a legal requirement, they have no choice, surely.
I have the same problem.
Tenant has claimed he is vulnerable despite working full time away from home.
Won’t let the plumber in to do essential work.

Man in his 70s living alone going through all sorts of serious health interventions, cancer. I think he's depressed basically.

Jesus, poor soul. I suppose if there was a problem you can demonstrate due diligence as a landlord.

I find it immensely depressing that people define themselves by the paid remuneration they do.
Working was killing me and retirement set me free to travel, paint, write, read, listen to music as and when I feel like.
Without a doubt the best years of my life have been since I shrugged off the yoke of work.
I know several drudges who cannot see beyond the next paycheck, can’t wait to get out of the house away from their partner, have no personal ambition outside 9-5.

I’m with you Bob (I got out of the rat race and effectively retired early). Trouble is, unless you’re fortunate enough to have a nice final salary pension or saved enough in the way of investments / assets during your working life to provide sufficient income, you don’t have a choice in the matter. Let’s face it, not many have options. Of course, you could sell everything and go and live in a tent to avoid work but that’s just not going to happen.

i live in a house, value is irrelevant to me, but pleasure is, not gonna sell yet so no need to know its value, if ever.

tenants, fcuk that, hard enough getting your sprogs out of the property :)

Many many years ago my late aunt offered to let me have (either for free or very cheap) a house she owned in Liverpool that had sitting tenants. I declined the offer, as a) I had relocated to That London and b) didn't want the hassle of dealing with tenants. I don't know what happened to the house, and my aunt died about 30 years ago. It was only recently that I realised that the house was in the same road as the one occupied by Probe Records, home of HMHB!

I dunno. I enjoy going out to work. I run my own consultancy, I work when and where I want to. I get a lot out of it, beyond the paycheque. If you'd said this to me 10-12 years ago I would have laughed in your face. I could, if I wanted to or had to, give up work, buy a cheaper house and cash in my pensions. But I don't want to. I don't know how much this will change as I approach 60, we shall see. However I'm fortunate that financial hardship will not force my hand. I don't know what my exit strategy is. There was until recently the possibility of moving to France or Spain, but 17 million f**ing total idiots sank that plan. Thanks a million, ar*** holes. Thanks for nothing. I hope I get the opportunity to ruin your lives too sometime, if you haven't done that to yourselves already.

MASSIVE celebration here ... after 18 months and multiple mortgage applications to nat west , halifax, coventry and a few others finally a tiny little building society i guarantee none of you will have heard of gave my DIL a mortgage !!! 2 mortgage advisers and some very patient solicitors . This is a highly qualified person in a high paid job with a very competant dad :D, just shows what a nightmare it can be to get a mortgage . heaven help joe bloggs trying to get one !!!

advertisement

Back