Votes: 19 8.8%
  • £1m to £2m

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Over £2m

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • £100k to £200k

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters
just half hour ago talking to a lady who is searching , the rents have gone up massively since these changes were bought in . it has not helped anyone

That’s the thing. I was quite happy with the previous arrangements, cost levels and rent. I’ve not increased the rent in 7 years but now I have to in order to cover increased costs. The only winners are the agents on a percentage.

But at least potential tenants see what the cost to them is, from the outset. I can’t imagine having to wade through loads of properties on Rightmove, picking out the different charges.

It seems that since we last let a property, various changes have been introduced, which clearly cost me money. Despite signed contracts stating the contrary, I now have to pay the tenant check out fees. Now, it’s a rounding error in the scheme of things but the fact the govt can unilaterally change legal contracts between 2 parties is very concerning. All sorts of other costs are now down to me. Clearly these will be passed on in the form of higher rents. Apparently the market is red hot, with very limited decent supply and plenty of demand from people moving out of London.

When tenants come in it will always be expensive, IMO there should be no additional costs when tenants leave -- unless I've forgotten something.

The corporate estate agents can be rip offs to landlords -- the cost for holding a deposit at Goodfellows, for example, annoyed me. If you do it yourself it will cost c£25 to insure the deposit, the paperwork is easy if you have an email address for the tenants, and you have the advantage of holding it. I think Goodfellows wanted to charge me more than £200. In fact their charges for other things seemed mostly reasonable -- they pass on deep cleaning and inventory at cost, for example. The cost for signing a contract is a rip off, but they have Docuserve. The next time I rent I will see whether I can do it myself before signing a contract with the agent. There are pros and cons to using a corporate, IMO more cons than pros. But if they fill the property, what can you do? ....

The big cost for me this year has been Electrical Safety checks -- the cost of this varies greatly from one electrician to another and is always too high. I've never used an agent to do it in London, I've always found my own electrician and managed it myself. But I have used an agent in Manchester and Leicester, they passed on the cost to me with no supplement. It is a nightmare.

As far as check out fees are concerned, do you mean the inventory checkout, or just getting the keys? There should be no cost from the agent for collecting the keys IMO -- it's just the tenant returning the keys to the office, if they don't cooperate charge new locks etc against their deposit. Anyway you can do it yourself if it's convenient. If the former, inventory checkout, do an inspection a few days before their last day if you can. If there are no major problems -- no walls removed, carpets or walls with huge stains which weren't there before, that sort of thing -- then I would let it go without a professional inventory check. Bear in mind the natural wear and tear you can't charge for if the tenant's been there a few years.

Remember the tenant will want to keep you happy because it's you who authorises the return of the deposit. They will probably cooperate.

When tenants come in it will always be expensive, IMO there should be no additional costs when tenants leave -- unless I've forgotten something.

The corporate estate agents can be rip offs to landlords -- the cost for holding a deposit at Goodfellows, for example, annoyed me. If you do it yourself it will cost c£25 to insure the deposit, the paperwork is easy if you have an email address for the tenants, and you have the advantage of holding it. I think Goodfellows wanted to charge me more than £200. In fact their charges for other things seemed mostly reasonable -- they pass on deep cleaning and inventory at cost, for example. The cost for signing a contract is a rip off, but they have Docuserve. The next time I rent I will see whether I can do it myself before signing a contract with the agent. There are pros and cons to using a corporate.

The big cost for me this year has been Electrical Safety checks -- the cost of this varies greatly from one electrician to another and is always too high. I've never used an agent to do it, I've always found my own electrician and managed it myself. It is a nighmare.

As far as check out fees are concerned, do you mean the inventory checkout, or just getting the keys? If the latter, do it yourself if you can get there. If the former, do an inspection the day before their last day if you can. If there are no major problems -- no walls removed, carpets or walls with huge stains which weren't there before, that sort of thing -- then I would let it go without a professional inventory check. Bear in mind the natural wear and tear you can't charge for if the tenant's been there a few years.

Remember the tenant will want to keep you happy because it's you who authorises the return of the deposit. They will probably cooperate.

It has to be a full inventory check, it’s fully furnished down to the cutlery, wine glasses and paintings on the wall. All nice stuff. I’m told there is huge demand for this type of property at the moment from ‘covid break ups’ where invariably the bloke gets kicked out of the family house and can turn up with clothes and laptop and carry on working.

Had to do the electrical tests this year. The place is less than 10 years old, money for old rope.

pay about 200 plus for electrical cert . one very increasing cost is having to fit alarms and increased security like cctv . alarms are very expensive but sadly more necessary these days . cheaper to spend 700 on an alarm than 1000 on a new upvc door and folks feel safer too

It has to be a full inventory check, it’s fully furnished down to the cutlery, wine glasses and paintings on the wall. All nice stuff. I’m told there is huge demand for this type of property at the moment from ‘covid break ups’ where invariably the bloke gets kicked out of the family house and can turn up with clothes and laptop and carry on working.

Had to do the electrical tests this year. The place is less than 10 years old, money for old rope.

Why don't you do the inventory checkout yourself?

family break ups are HUGE reason why people need affordable rental , once house has been sold and split between 2 plus costs deducted it can be a real shock . person in this situation in tears today over this .

indeed and as there is a rush on to get them all done by april , when electrical checks become law then they can charge high prices

all tenancies

Which rented properties do the Electrical Safety Regulations apply to?
The regulations came into force on 1 June 2020, they apply to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021. The relevant date for determining when the new requirements apply is the date on which the tenancy is granted. A new tenancy is one that was granted on or after 1 June 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

I had one house where the agent refused to let the new tenant in without an electrical safety certificate. Corporate agent. Old house, two bedrooms.

It was a two stage process. Stage one is where they go in and do a test and if more work needs to be done, they do a quote for stage 2.

The guy went in, said more work need to be done. All my houses are old and they've all needed work to comply -- new fuse boxes mostly. Charged me £200 for the first visit and said he wants £800 for the second, which he can't do anyway until the day before the new tenant moves in. Oh -- +VAT.

So I contacted someone else. Not initially because of the price, but because I wanted someone who would do it well before the start of the new tenancy.

This new one looked at the report from the first, said it was obvious that he hadn't done a proper job, the numbers on the report made no sense. He did the whole job for £300 in half a day no VAT.

I still had to pay the first £200 though!

I have another house where the tenant is refusing to give the electrician access to do the work.

So glad I keep my life as simple as possible. That all sounds like life expectancy reducing hassle.

Yep. Though I guess some people thrive on stress.

Some think they do. They’d live longer without it, I’d say.
Is there evidence that some people really do thrive on stress? Or is it just a matter of they enjoy the buzz/money/ego boost?

all tenancies

Which rented properties do the Electrical Safety Regulations apply to?
The regulations came into force on 1 June 2020, they apply to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021. The relevant date for determining when the new requirements apply is the date on which the tenancy is granted. A new tenancy is one that was granted on or after 1 June 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

This one had to be done last year as it was on periodic tenancy. Glad to have got it out of the way before all the sparks are too busy and whack their prices up. Was 185 inc VAT.

I had one house where the agent refused to let the new tenant in without an electrical safety certificate. Corporate agent. Old house, two bedrooms.

It was a two stage process. Stage one is where they go in and do a test and if more work needs to be done, they do a quote for stage 2.

The guy went in, said more work need to be done. All my houses are old and they've all needed work to comply -- new fuse boxes mostly. Charged me £200 for the first visit and said he wants £800 for the second, which he can't do anyway until the day before the new tenant moves in. Oh -- +VAT.

So I contacted someone else. Not initially because of the price, but because I wanted someone who would do it well before the start of the new tenancy.

This new one looked at the report from the first, said it was obvious that he hadn't done a proper job, the numbers on the report made no sense. He did the whole job for £300 in half a day no VAT.

I still had to pay the first £200 though!

I have another house where the tenant is refusing to give the electrician access to do the work.

wow thats very hard if they refuse access !
most times the report comes back that it could do with a metal fuseboard but its not essential . just an advisory . obviously if you have to put a new fuseboard in it has to be metal

Is there evidence that some people really do thrive on stress? Or is it just a matter of they enjoy the buzz/money/ego boost?

a bit of stress is good for you i think , not too much mind !!!

Depends, as ever. There is such a thing as a minimal stimulation level. We have all spent time at home in the last year, it is so boring that it becomes itself a source of stress. Meanwhile we have all known people who give up highly demanding jobs at a young age and take early retirement, only to become either dull, eccentric or unpleasant after a couple of years. Working keeps you young. Now maybe you don't want to have to do 50 hours a week plus travelling, but you don't want to have no function in the world.

advertisement

Back