Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Over £2m

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • £100k to £200k

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
My curiosity was piqued by a question (might have been rhetorical) on house values. The proposal was that most people on this site had property worth (mortgages notwithstanding) over 300k and this was challenged by others.

It can be emotive so poll will be anonymous.

100k to 300k is a big jump. o_O

My house is worth approximately £140-150k

(out of interest- purchased in 1994 for £22k - 3 bedroom semi detached approx. 1908 . No garage, but overlooking a field.)

The actual house is practically free in the scheme of things, you mostly pay for your postcode with some weighting by how many square feet you take up! :rolleyes: This house is worth about £200k cos it's in prime York Commuter belt. Five miles one way basically the same house is £300K. Five miles the other maybe £160K, but if you keep going til you get to Hull you'd find one for £40K, unless it's near the University then it'll be worth £200k again courtesy of the property companies who convert them to HMOs with students in 6x9' cells paying £450 a week...

My first house cost me £3,500, sold for £8,500 three years late so I could buy one for £12,000. The one next door to the first one, an identical back-to-back, went for 135,500 in 2007. Virtually the entire terrace is now in the hands of buy-to-let landlords.

We live in a family house in Central London so it would probably be rude to say what it's worth or whether it's outside the parameters of the poll. Thing is though, what does it matter if you're not going to realise the assets?
I do feel sorry for people following the same path as me who are struggling to get on to the property ladder. Wonder if the current crisis won't play out to level out prices?

Can't afford a house, I still rent in my 40s.

I did until I was 37. It is only a fairly random combination of events that I got on the housing market as I’d not been anywhere near it until that age. After the Y2K ‘IT boom’ thing was dead I moved back from That London and its stupidly expensive rents. I had saved up a bit as a contractor, I was quite well paid, but still couldn’t afford to buy anywhere I wanted down there, so moved back up north and got a mortgage on a pretentious Liverpool city centre loft apartment. It doubled in value within two years, so I cashed in and bought the current shack for cash. I just wanted to ditch the mortgage as that was preventing me starting a small business (this place). As such it’s largely fluke I bought and got out at exactly the right time. I’ve never been interested in property etc, I just want somewhere to live that doesn’t suck money, and where I am achieves that. It isn’t flash, certainly isn’t a great investment, but it serves its core purpose perfectly well.

PS The shocking thing is how one fills available space. I’d spent my whole adult life in one or two bedroom flats until I bought this place, a 3 bed, two living room Victorian terrace with a cellar. It is full. I have stuff stacked up everywhere!

The actual house is practically free in the scheme of things, you mostly pay for your postcode with some weighting by how many square feet you take up! :rolleyes: This house is worth about £200k cos it's in prime York Commuter belt. Five miles one way basically the same house is £300K. Five miles the other maybe £160K, but if you keep going til you get to Hull you'd find one for £40K, unless it's near the University then it'll be worth £200k again courtesy of the property companies who convert them to HMOs with students in 6x9' cells paying £450 a week...
Yes, whilst the bricks and mortar are worth something, what you are actually buying is the land. It is the boundaries of the plot of land that is registered at the Land Registry when you buy 'a house', not the house itself. And supply and demand dictates the price of that land given how little there is on this small island. Location, location, location?

My house is worth an absolute fortune, but only to me (and probably 'er indoors). Unfortunately, I doubt that my greenhouses are appreciating and my sheds are most certainly a s pent force.

My wife’s parents bought their house for £50k in 1975 and sold it for £1.3m in 2007 - they then downsized to one round the corner for £950k. (My parents lived in a council house which went straight back to the council after my mum died). And so it goes

advertisement

Back