Votes: 19 8.8%
  • £1m to £2m

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Over £2m

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • £100k to £200k

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters
not my scene, find house prices utterly boring and distasteful. people have to live somewhere and most can not ever consider a mortgage. tis shite

i feel better than james brown

£50K in 1975 was an absolute fortune.
I paid £7K for my first house in 1975.
Only one wage earner considered for the mortgage after you had been with building society for years before they would consider you, maximum 2.5 times salary, interest rates that would terrify anyone now. On the plus side you got mortgage tax relief.

I guess my house is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but since we would have to move somewhere else to find that out and pay lots of middlemen an unreasonable percentage of the transactions it’s a pointless task.

Can't afford a house, I still rent in my 40s.
yes it's very very hard , may have said but been helping a close family member in late 30' s to buy a house . We have made umpteen applications over last year and a half , finally went to an adverse credit mortgage broker to get one . We have had to pay off many thousands of debts and credit cards though to help this

Heaven help anyone who does not have family help though to get on the ladder, very hard indeed

How much wonga you got?

These threads a bit distasteful IMHO. One already gone. This one should too IMHO

Oi! Mine was at least funny and had a kind of Zen vibe. Mind you this is shaping up in the gags stakes if your post is anything to go by. I loved the “distasteful”bit!

We are in our 16th house together. The first we bought, just after our wedding was a 2 up 2 down on the Isle of Wight. £11000 ish in 1981. That’s about 35000 in inflation terms, but I, guess it’s 4x that maybe now. T’other way round, in 1980 then our now house would cost maybe 130,000. Who had money like that then???? Crazy stuff.

Years ago we tried to buy a flat near tulse hill for 16k ,about 83 I think .then prices just rocketed and we never made it in London. I remember queuing up for studio flats to try and buy them with no success . Had to flee the capital to get something and prices were about 25% of the London prices there

I look forward to London property prices imploding as they surely will. The only problem is stopping the ****ers from coming North!
Then there’s the rain and the midges, the cow udder and tripe, and poor people. When It gets dark, what do you do? Go to a pub with wet poor people scratching themselves and smelling of tripe? Eh?

Even back in 83 in London I recall friends telling me how shocked they were at the horrendous price of their houses...nothing seems to change much . :)

Hey I'm not complaining. Prices around here have gone nuts with people wanting to move out of that London. We're 30 mins out on the Beds / Herts border and people are paying crazy money for property around here.

£1,000,000? No problem.

I have mates in their 40’s that will never own a house in the postcodes in which they rent, and they really feel like failures because of this, which is a really demoralising sad place to be.

My house is worth about £150k in rebuild costs as the insurance paperwork tells me. The land it sits on is worth multiples of this, which is a joke. The property market doesn’t feel like houses are valued on what they are worth round here, but how much the agents think they can get away with.

not my scene, find house prices utterly boring and distasteful. people have to live somewhere and most can not ever consider a mortgage. tis shite

i feel better than james brown

How much wonga you got?

These threads a bit distasteful IMHO. One already gone. This one should too IMHO

Despite being the thread starter, I have sympathy with these views. I find the pure data interesting as an answer to the original question on another thread, the answer is the majority of folks on here who have answered have a house worth more than £300k.

But then seeing as the national average is £250k that should not be a surprise https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-house-price-index-for-november-2020

Lots of friends the same - should probably have been a category for people who aren't home owners.

I did until I was 37. It is only a fairly random combination of events that I got on the housing market as I’d not been anywhere near it until that age. After the Y2K ‘IT boom’ thing was dead I moved back from That London and its stupidly expensive rents. I had saved up a bit as a contractor, I was quite well paid, but still couldn’t afford to buy anywhere I wanted down there, so moved back up north and got a mortgage on a pretentious Liverpool city centre loft apartment. It doubled in value within two years, so I cashed in and bought the current shack for cash. I just wanted to ditch the mortgage as that was preventing me starting a small business (this place). As such it’s largely fluke I bought and got out at exactly the right time. I’ve never been interested in property etc, I just want somewhere to live that doesn’t suck money, and where I am achieves that. It isn’t flash, certainly isn’t a great investment, but it serves its core purpose perfectly well.

PS The shocking thing is how one fills available space. I’d spent my whole adult life in one or two bedroom flats until I bought this place, a 3 bed, two living room Victorian terrace with a cellar. It is full. I have stuff stacked up everywhere!

The only good thing I have going for me is zero debt, I managed to get rid of all that. That being said it doesn't really matter as saving for a ridiculous sized deposit will take forever anyway, debt or no debt.

Even back in 83 in London I recall friends telling me how shocked they were at the horrendous price of their houses...nothing seems to change much . :)

When I first moved to London, back in 1977, the bloke I was replacing told me he'd just bought a flat for £17k. I thought that a) he must be rich or b) he must be daft. Three years later, I bought my first flat for slightly more. Living in a grotty £10 a week bedsit had its downsides, but at least I was able to save up enough for a deposit.

advertisement

Back