advertisement

How much difference could a simple Banana plug make?

As far as cycling is concerned I am sure that if you change your balls for ceramic versions you`ll be able to grind out better times.
I bought a new so-called endurance bike last April that not only has hydraulic disc brakes but tubeless tyres. That puts me well beyond the pale as far as many roadies are concerned. No punctures so far & I can actually stop in the wet!

Just thought that I should let you know of my experience with the the KLEI Classic Harmony Banana Connector/Adaptor. I have been using these as adapters, attached to the existing bananas, and they sound great. Just better sound, timbre, PRaF, etc across the audio range.

Others have indicated exceptional results with them also, on these threads How much difference could a simple Banana plug make? and Binding Post Jumpers - New Product!!!
From posts I have read they seem to go very well with dueland wire and helix wire.

Interesting, would love to know your thoughts and has anyone tried them?

Hi Yping, just found your post and I can agree with you about the KLEI plugs, they are one of the best upgrades I have made to my system. For the money they have to represent a great big hi-fi bargain. If anyone else is reading this, you can’t go wrong trying this product, and if you’re handy with a soldering iron, the KLEI range of RCA plugs are another worthwhile upgrade. I fitted a set of Copper Harmony RCA’s to a length of Stager Silver Solid IC. (I have no affiliation to KLEI by the way)

Some speaker cables are too big/have too many strands. Some terminals are too small. Some cable manufacturers terminate their cables (some TQ cables have to be factory terminated, I believe). Some people change or compare cables. Bare copper (or silver) wires oxidise. And so on.
The space behind my power amp is so tight it would be impossible to get to the terminals well enough safely screw down bare wires.

If your speaker cables are too big to fit into the screw terminals of your amp or speakers then you have quite possibly unwittingly strayed onto the path of foo.

"Effect they have as quantum"

I suggest you go off and read a physics text book and then you'll realise what a complete load of tosh it is that you've written.

I would also like to see some kind of explanation as to the cause of the miraculous effect of a termination? I accept there may be small differences in impedance, physical contact, etc. How do these small differences translate in to the massive changes you've experienced?

But if you think it's great then fair enough. But please try to have at least a basic understanding of terminology you use, rather than just repeating the tosh you've read elsewhere.
Sometimes I'm amazed at what I read from HiFi enthusiasts. Have read some even polish fuses. It's entertaining if nothing else.

Correctly terminating a cable with good quality banana plugs or spades is a prerequisite if you want the cables effect minimised. I've experimented with lots over the years. Low mass gold plated does the trick for me. Tried solder 'V' crimped, both sound identical.

Adding plugs won’t minimise the cables effect. In fact now the signal has to make its way through the amps speaker sockets, one set of plugs, your wire another set of plugs and then the binding posts on speaker.

Logic dictates that the way to minimise losses is to use no plug of any kind. But that’s not always convenient.

I use bananas Because they are convenient, neat, and allow me to move kit without faffing about. I believe they are solid rhodium plated plugs (Kimber)

They also came pre attached to my speaker cable.

Correctly terminating a cable with good quality banana plugs or spades is a prerequisite if you want the cables effect minimised. I've experimented with lots over the years. Low mass gold plated does the trick for me. Tried solder 'V' crimped, both sound identical.
What is it about low mass that makes them special?

An excerpt from the review - is there a subliminal message in there???

The KLEI™Classic Harmony Banana appear to allow every detail and nuance of the recording to be conveyed with amazing clarity and dexterity – something I have not observed to this level in any similar product.
They really are – the last thing you want at the end of your speaker cables!
I highly recommend this product!

I asked ATC technical - they of speaker fame - what they used to connect speakers; they seemed to happy with Neutric, but avoided a direct recommendation. The NL8F fit my needs and as it was 8 pole only one necessary in each channel between active amp and speakers, great care needed to ensure continuity, perhaps not for everybody, the installation was at the limit of my practical skills. No marketing just specifications and drawings. About £40 all in for plugs and chassis mounts

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back