advertisement

How much difference could a simple Banana plug make?

Interesting thread. Mass storage effect ..sounds like my bowels, you would not believe the mass I can store in them. Or are we speaking of metal batteries, fly wheels, or another hitherto unknown type of (unwanted or wanted) storage of energy?

OOPS: forgot to ask the OP: is this a plug for the banana plug in question?

Does not explain the theory of "Mass Storage" effect. Sorry. Find a better explanation. It is utter crap

Maybe it does, most of them are made from brass, which has a much lower conductivity than copper, and a higher resistance. Maybe having to conduct through an alloy of different metals has a storage effect ?

Maybe it does, most of them are made from brass, which has a much lower conductivity than copper, and a higher resistance. Maybe having to conduct through an alloy of different metals has a storage effect ?
No.

I cannot believe this:
"
  • to further dynamically enhance electron flow in the Signal conductor.
  • to further protect the Signal from capacitive, inductive, EMF, EF, EFI, RF, static charges, and other effects.
  • to further facilitate a smooth uninterrupted signal flow from the amplifier to the speakers, effectively isolating and allowing them to perform their task without interference."
Is the whole thread a joke? What do they mean by "other effects?"

I cannot believe this:
"
  • to further dynamically enhance electron flow in the Signal conductor.
  • to further protect the Signal from capacitive, inductive, EMF, EF, EFI, RF, static charges, and other effects.
  • to further facilitate a smooth uninterrupted signal flow from the amplifier to the speakers, effectively isolating and allowing them to perform their task without interference."
Is the whole thread a joke? What do they mean by "other effects?"
Unfortunately it is not a joke. Some folk here don't get: if it smells like BS, it probably is BS.

I didn't make any claims for the veracity of the theory, I just told you how easy it was to find it. What you make of it is up to you. Don't try to put words into my mouth.
I'm aware of the claims (Chord also stated the same). I was hoping for some evidence that you state is easy to find. I not trying to put words in your mouth at all.

i watched this recently - and kind of respect this fellow's opinion on the subject - apparently it CAN make QUITE a BIT of difference...

i watched this recently - and kind of respect this fellow's opinion on the subject - apparently it CAN make QUITE a BIT of difference...
I've nothing against Z plugs - I use stackable ones at work. Their contact area is far better than than those worn & corroded bananas shown in the video. Multimeters are pretty poor at measuring resistance under an Ohm unless they use sense terminals (4 wire) that will give repeatable readings.
The issue is the claim that solid conductors somehow are worse by virtue of some sort of storage mechanism. One could design hollow plugs with a low contact surface that would also measure poorly. The video highlights the need for decently designed plugs - Z plugs are good but not for the reasons stated by WBT & Chord. If you plug poor quality bananas into stackable Z plugs, you aren't going to gain anything apart from perhaps cleaning the contact surfaces by the process of removing then refitting them.

Multimeters are pretty poor at measuring resistance under an Ohm unless they use sense terminals (4 wire) that will give repeatable readings.

and yet - the 'control' he was using (the stock leads) were giving quite a different (and more reliable) result.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the design (not what he was criticising) so much as the actual execution and quality ... like you say

i posted this solely in response to the original question "how much difference can a banana plug make?" - so apparently a fair bit.

I got some gold headphone jacks from China. They were shockingly bad, I wouldn't be surprised if they were spray painted with gold paint and varnished. Almost didn't conduct the signal.

advertisement

Back