advertisement

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government?

How long before a vote of no confidence in Johnson's Government?

• Within a week.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Within a month

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Before October 31st

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • After a no deal Brexit

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 41 29.7%
  • After failing to deliver Brexit on October 31st

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit unfair. there are areas where that is true, in practically every city. But at least Liverpool CC have made efforts to bring run down housing back into use, via the 'One Pound Houses' programme.
When you know the area as well as I do you wouldn't think it unfair. My daughter rented just off the top of Smithdown rd and it was beyond grim-It's always been bad around Earl rd, even back in the late 70's and these feral families are now multi generation scumbags. Throw in a sizeable influx of eastern European immigrants and you have a powder keg of racial and cultural conflict.
I admire those brave enough to take them on and it is an interesting experiment but as the prog does show it's Dodge City in that neighbourhood and if I was so inclined to even rent there I'd get a really really big guard dog.

Well I agree it's not easy for the One Pounders.. but I was referring more to you singling out Liverpool for a comment which could be easily applied almost anywhere in the UK.

I think you know that Liverpool already gets portrayed in negative ways which are totally unrepresentative of the reality, yet large and prosperous areas (Woolton, Childwall, Allerton,West Derby, Mossley Hill, Hale etc.), barely rate a mention and nor do the other 'posh' areas further out in 'Greater Merseyside', such as (most of) Wirral, large areas of St.Helens and Knowlsey Boroughs and of course Crosby, Formby and Southport.

When you know the area as well as I do you wouldn't think it unfair. My daughter rented just off the top of Smithdown rd and it was beyond grim-It's always been bad around Earl rd, even back in the late 70's and these feral families are now multi generation scumbags. Throw in a sizeable influx of eastern European immigrants and you have a powder keg of racial and cultural conflict.
I admire those brave enough to take them on and it is an interesting experiment but as the prog does show it's Dodge City in that neighbourhood and if I was so inclined to even rent there I'd get a really really big guard dog.

I know exactly what you mean, I lived in a similarly bad area in Liverpool for a while in the ‘80s, albeit one without obvious racist issues. By saying that I think that is one thing that is so clever/forward thinking about the council strategy and effectively giving houses away for free to folk with the intellect, ability and resources to refurbish them will in time drive the area up and marginalise the feral scum given time. It needs to hit critical mass and it will be the nice area it should be as the location is fine (fairly close to the city centre, good transport routes etc) and the housing stock is really nice aside from its current condition. The actual houses are just the same as ones in Allerton or wherever that are perfectly decent and desirable. Basically we just need to see a lot more of it as the more streets are taken back by decent working folk who want an area they can be proud of the less traction the existing scum will have and at a certain point they’ll either have to change or be flushed-out. I do really like the concept, it is a superbly logical approach to urban regeneration in low value areas.

So why do you have a “problem with Union salaries”?

You do understand what has been achieved by Unions, even for non-members such as yourself who don’t contribute anything?
Yes, I know all about the London Match Girls thanks. As I said above, I don't have a problem with unions. I do think union officials can be over paid when compared to their members. Was it you who was using the PMs salary as a benchmark, quite a few get damn close to it. My dad was a shop steward BTW.

I've paid taxes for the last 26 years so I think I have contributed thanks.

They couldn’t at any time in our history.

There’s nothing new about the young poor not being able to buy property.
absolutely. Bear in mind that there are £50k worth of bricks and mortar in a small terrace and of course a young person on min wage can't buy it. Would you lend 50k to someone who doesn't have a secure employment or security and might leave the country or just put their hands up and say "send all the bailiffs you like, there's nothing here worth taking" ?

What do you expect any such financial workings/math to demonstrate?

Whether it is financially viable/profitable for the bank. If not why the hell would they bother? Would you willingly work for a reduced wage or give your expertise free just because a government asked/insisted? That way oppressive authoritarianism and dictatorship lies.

I’m a firm believer in fairly steep progressive taxation (not as high as some here want though), i.e. those with the most give the most, but I do feel governments should stay the hell away from meddling with businesses as much as is possible. People should be free to create and innovate with as much freedom as possible.

Interesting that the Prime Minister’s pay is taken as some sort of benchmark. As though there cannot be any justification for paying more, in normal circumstances. Personally, I think our last two PMs were grossly overpaid, as is the current incumbent, if you look at the qualities and performance we’ve been getting for our money.

If that’s the going rate for that level of performance, then I’d hope that anybody in any sort of job with real demands for delivery, would command substantially more.

Interesting that the Prime Minister’s pay is taken as some sort of benchmark. As though there cannot be any justification for paying more, in normal circumstances. Personally, I think our last two PMs were grossly overpaid, as is the current incumbent, if you look at the qualities and performance we’ve been getting for our money.

If that’s the going rate for that level of performance, then I’d hope that anybody in any sort of job with real demands for delivery, would command substantially more.
You have just used it as a benchmarrk;) but yes it is meaningless like comparing pay of brain surgeons to footballers. People don't pay to watch surgeons work.

So Trade Union leaders are as entiltled to their pay package as any other leader of a high value enterprise?
Trade Unions are not an enterprise, they make no profits, they protect jobs not generate them. Some unions officials may be over paid in terms of their overall package compared to their members, some may not. The world is complicated I don't view things in binary terms.

Yes, I know all about the London Match Girls thanks. As I said above, I don't have a problem with unions. I do think union officials can be over paid when compared to their members. Was it you who was using the PMs salary as a benchmark, quite a few get damn close to it. My dad was a shop steward BTW.

I've paid taxes for the last 26 years so I think I have contributed thanks.
No, it wasn’t me who made a reference to the PMs salary.

You said you haven’t been a member of a Union and you’ve paid taxes for 26 years. So what? Please explain how you’ve contributed to Unions without being a member?

Trade Unions are not an enterprise, they make no profits, they protect jobs not generate them. Some unions officials may be over paid in terms of their overall package compared to their members, some may not. The world is complicated I don't view things in binary terms.
Clearly binary is exactly how you view things. For profit good, not for profit bad.

Is every not-for-profit organisation therefore not an enterprise? Do they not need hgh level skills to run efficiently or could any Tom, Dick, Cav or Woodface run them effectively paid minimum wage?

Given how many captains of industry have failed spectaculary despite £million+ salaries and walked away with 10x in pay offs, I dare say I could do as bad a job at half the salary.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back