advertisement

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government?

How long before a vote of no confidence in Johnson's Government?

• Within a week.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Within a month

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Before October 31st

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • After a no deal Brexit

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 41 29.7%
  • After failing to deliver Brexit on October 31st

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beginning to wonder if Jo Swinson mightn’t be a ringer. An ERG sleeper agent.
Yes, I think you’re right. Swinson’s now wearing the buckles from Theresa May’s leopard print kitten heels as earrings like a badge of honour

48623166543_c48cba8bb6.jpg

Borisconi can't even get his pork pie story correct. His assertion that no deal cannot be stopped almost certainly means it can.

Again, Swinson is absolutely right; Corbyn is a zero-credibility public laughing stock who hasn’t even earned the respect of many of his own MPs, let alone the rest of the house, but I do think she is setting herself up for a fall by shouting it so loudly. It is a tactical error IMO.
She is absolutely wrong if you are interested in stopping brexit.

A "very temporary" govt led by Corbyn as leader of the largest opposition party versus tory hard-brexit. Which do you choose?

This is way more than a tactical error. She is out of her depth.

She is absolutely wrong if you are interested in stopping brexit.

A "very temporary" govt led by Corbyn as leader of the largest opposition party versus tory hard-brexit. Which do you choose?

I think her fear is that a few weeks of a Corbyn led government will show people that the sky hasn’t fallen in, which will make him more electable come the GE. Which would mean she’d need to contemplate, if not coalition, then at least C&S with Labour, when her natural bedfellows would appear to be the Tories.

The Lib Dems basically haven’t been tested since they decided to become the party of remain: they’ve spoken exclusively to a homogeneous constituency whose only real political demand was that someone offer them a misleadingly simple answer to the problem of Brexit and tell them that everything can go back to the way it was before.

Now they have to face the reality of our system, which is that you have to build alliances between different groups. They have to convince Tory-voting remainers that they won't get into bed with the nasty Marxist, and Labour-voting remainers that they care more about stopping Brexit than increasing their count of MPs.

In the current situation that's not actually a difficult call: they just have to say that they're against Corbyn for any number of reasons, and will campaign against Labour in the coming GE, but that they'll do anything to stop Brexit and that includes participating in a Labour-led caretaker government with an extremely limited remit.

Instead we get all this stuff about "Corbyn's actually a Brexiteer!" and "We won't support you because they won't support you!" and the audience for this kind of nakedly self-interested BS really is limited to a very hard hardcore of anti-Corbyn remain fanatics. They're blowing it. They just can't do anything approaching complicated, as the coalition fiasco showed: all they know how to do is talk to a small base of natural Lib Dem voters. And I'm not sure Swinson can even do that.

Who’d have thought that after three long years remainers would have their hopes dashed by the self-confessed remain party.

You couldn’t make this shit up!

The Lib Dems basically haven’t been tested since they decided to become the party of remain: they’ve spoken exclusively to a homogeneous constituency whose only real political demand was that someone offer them a misleadingly simple answer to the problem of Brexit and tell them that everything can go back to the way it was before.

Now they have to face the reality of our system, which is that you have to build alliances between different groups. They have to convince Tory-voting remainers that they won't get into bed with the nasty Marxist, and Labour-voting remainers that they care more about stopping Brexit than increasing their count of MPs.

In the current situation that's not actually a difficult call: they just have to say that they're against Corbyn for any number of reasons, and will campaign against Labour in the coming GE, but that they'll do anything to stop Brexit and that includes participating in a Labour-led caretaker government with an extremely limited remit.

Instead we get all this stuff about "Corbyn's actually a Brexiteer!" and "We won't support you because they won't support you!" and the audience for this kind of nakedly self-interested BS really is limited to a very hard hardcore of anti-Corbyn remain fanatics. They're blowing it. They just can't do anything approaching complicated, as the coalition fiasco showed: all they know how to do is talk to a small base of natural Lib Dem voters. And I'm not sure Swinson can even do that.
You might excuse her for opening her gob first time around a few weeks back. Put it down to inexperience. Think she’d learn.

But here we are again, and here she is again, mouthing off when it’s doing her (supposed) cause nothing but harm.

What an absolute joke of a politician. Utterly useless.

Maybe, or she may just be playing politics the way Corbyn and Johnson clearly are rather than thinking about a VoNC that almost certainly won’t even come close to passing. It would not surprise me if she felt it was Tory seats that were the easy pickings for the LDs come a GE if Corbyn laughably starts claiming to be a remainer at this late stage (Labour being at far more risk from Farage IMO). If so it is a shame. I’d far prefer to see the LDs play a rather better game than the other two showers of shite. Regardless I just don’t see the VoNC working and never have. Labour is just too riddled with Brexiters, MPs that hate Corbyn and disgruntled ex-MPs, too many Tories won’t touch Corbyn with the shitty end of a long stick, so the numbers are just not there for it to go through.

PS My prediction at this point is crash out of EU and then straight into a GE. The result of which will be a hung parliament, likely still with the Tories largest party. We are in for a very rough ride, though hopefully Labour will then have time then to bin Corbyn and the other unelectables and regroup into something more useful.

Just had my 3rd mailer in as many weeks from Lib Dems & a visit (I reside in Hallam ward). She is going in hard on both Boris & Corbyn TBF, paints the latter as a Brexit enabler. In the interim the LP in Sheffield appears to be imploding at council level, looks like I will have to tactical vote LD?

Not sure why you look forward to this. If it happens, it will show that the last 10-12 years has taught us nothing.

It would not surprise me that if we have a GE anytime soon Labour will produce their worst results in the party’s history! Even their activists seem to be predicting losing 30 seats from the current poor position. A Corbyn-led Labour has proven not to be competitive with a Conservative Party led by someone as useless and objectionable as Theresa May and I suspect will move substantially backwards against the current lying Trump clone. This is just not a winning team. With that level of failure the only sensible thing to to radically rethink and rebuild.

Maybe, or she may just be playing politics the way Corbyn and Johnson clearly are rather than thinking about a VoNC that almost certainly won’t even come close to passing. It would not surprise me if she felt it was Tory seats that were the easy pickings for the LDs come a GE if Corbyn laughably starts claiming to be a remainer at this late stage (Labour being at far more risk from Farage IMO). If so it is a shame. I’d far prefer to see the LDs play a rather better game than the other two showers of shite. Regardless I just don’t see the VoNC working and never have. Labour is just too riddled with Brexiters, MPs that hate Corbyn and disgruntled ex-MPs, too many Tories won’t touch Corbyn with the shitty end of a long stick, so the numbers are just not there for it to go through.

PS My prediction at this point is crash out of EU and then straight into a GE. The result of which will be a hung parliament, likely still with the Tories largest party. We are in for a very rough ride, though hopefully Labour will then have time then to bin Corbyn and the other unelectables and regroup into something more useful.
There are more remainers than leavers in the Parliament, the numbers ARE there if MPs put the country first.

Remainers need to be writing to their MP if they think the MP believes a 5 week govt led by Corbyn is worse than a tory hard brexit.

It would not surprise me that if we have a GE anytime soon Labour will produce their worst results in the party’s history! Even their activists seem to be predicting losing 30 seats from the current poor position. A Corbyn-led Labour has proven not to be competitive with a Conservative Party led by someone as useless and objectionable as Theresa May and I suspect will move substantially backwards against the current lying Trump clone. This is just not a winning team. With that level of failure the only sensible thing to to radically rethink and rebuild.
By “activists” do you mean that stats site I pointed you to a while back? They were just reporting a poll, and extrapolating seat numbers - it’s one of the things they do. It’s obviously not the same thing as declaring their faith in the predictive value of such polls. In fact if you follow them on Twitter you’ll see that every other Tweet is an exasperated reminder that they have no predictive value at all, as 2017 ought to have proved beyond doubt.

R
E
M
E
M
B
E
R

Odd then that Swinson seems more comfortable with the useless and objectionable May/lying Trump clone, than she does with Labour. All her efforts seem to be directed at attacking Corbyn and sabotaging the best prospect to challenge Brexit and no deal while being quite sanguine about the most far right, destructive and dishonest government in living memory

There is *no* principled reason not to support Corbyn’s plan & it may well be the best chance we have of stopping Brexit - see my long post from just over a week ago.
What have principles got to do with anything that is going on at the moment? The reason Corbyn has to step aside in favour of more a unifying temporary government is that a vote of no confidence in our current government will fail due to insufficient Conservative MPs being prepared to vote against their own government and for a Corbyn government. This has likely got more to do with centre right careers than principles although I would like to think there was still some consideration given to the best interests of those they are employed to represent. This is the reality no matter how much faith people here have in Corbyn, principles or whatever. Now every single politician and those around them are almost certainly perfectly well aware of this and don't need Swinson to point it out. So what is the reality of what is going on?

R
E
M
E
M
B
E
R

I do, I called it right and won some money.

PS The reason I called it right is there were obvious issues with the polling as at that time (peak Corbyn) a lot of new/young student voters were not being factored-in. Now they are, and Corbyn has lost huge swathes of them anyway due to three years of fence-sitting and moral evasion. I doubt Labour will get quite as hammered as they have in the local and EU elections come a GE, but I’ll be astonished if they don’t move backwards from where they are right now. They’ll likely do better after Brexit than before due to Farage, but even so they certainly aren’t going to win anything anytime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back