advertisement

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government?

How long before a vote of no confidence in Johnson's Government?

• Within a week.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Within a month

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Before October 31st

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • After a no deal Brexit

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 41 29.7%
  • After failing to deliver Brexit on October 31st

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just natural. Worked for Trump.

Melton Mowbray pork pies lose their EU protected status if we leave with or without a deal, as will hundreds of UK products.

I suspect Johnson neither knows or cares about this.

Stephen

I look forward to east Anglian champagne and Cheshire camembert then.

What have principles got to do with anything that is going on at the moment? The reason Corbyn has to step aside in favour of more a unifying temporary government is that a vote of no confidence in our current government will fail due to insufficient Conservative MPs being prepared to vote against their own government and for a Corbyn government. This has likely got more to do with centre right careers than principles although I would like to think there was still some consideration given to the best interests of those they are employed to represent. This is the reality no matter how much faith people here have in Corbyn, principles or whatever. Now every single politician and those around them are almost certainly perfectly well aware of this. So what is the reality of what is going on?
Circular logic: Corbyn’s plan won’t get enough support if not enough MPs support him.

The point is that if enough MPs oppose no deal there is no principled reason not to support Labour’s plan. I wrote at some length about this recently so o won’t repeat the argument again other than to highlight the fact that 20+ Labour MPs are shaky about calling for a second referendum but could be persuaded by Corbyn’s plan. This is routinely ignored here and elsewhere but it’s crucial to the success of any plan to stop Brexit.

What’s going on is that Swinson seems intent to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and some Remainers are so blinded by their hatred of Corbyn that they’re happy to cheer her on.

What’s going on is that Swinson seems intent to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and some Remainers are so blinded by their hatred of Corbyn that they’re happy to cheer her on.

I thought she was just pointing out the pitfalls, not suggesting LDs shouldn’t vote for it? I’ll be very disappointed if any LDs vote against or abstain. My bet is it will be the Labour ranks that lose this one.

I look forward to east Anglian champagne and Cheshire camembert then.

We’d get our a££ES sued by the EU if we did that or they’d impose trade sanctions and bring other pressure to bear.

The UK probably will have its own ‘protected status’ but the big blocs could easily just ignore it. The EU status is backed up by immense financial clout. The UK is a minnow in comparison.

Stephen

It’s just natural. Worked for Trump.

Melton Mowbray pork pies lose their EU protected status if we leave with or without a deal, as will hundreds of UK products.

I suspect Johnson neither knows or cares about this.

Stephen

But that nice Mr Trumps says we are going to have the bigliest trade deal in history.. a fully chlorinated and health insurance based deal that will be biglier than even the bigliest bigly thing ever...

It's gonna be great... really, really, great....

OK, so all the talk of country before party, does this apply to all parties? If, for example, a condition of the unity govt was for Corbyn to step aside, should he?

I think her fear is that a few weeks of a Corbyn led government will show people that the sky hasn’t fallen in, which will make him more electable come the GE. Which would mean she’d need to contemplate, if not coalition, then at least C&S with Labour, when her natural bedfellows would appear to be the Tories.

She is a Tory by any other name and a quite right-wing one.

I don't like Swinson, although her criticism of Corbyn is correct. Nicola Sturgeon has a more practical view about what should be done concerning a government of national unity and a VONC.

"Ms Swinson and Conservatives opposed to no deal were among those who rejected the idea of Mr Corbyn being interim leader, but Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon criticised the Lib Dem leader's stance, adding that "nothing should be ruled out"." - The Guardian.

Jack

What have principles got to do with anything that is going on at the moment? The reason Corbyn has to step aside in favour of more a unifying temporary government is that a vote of no confidence in our current government will fail due to insufficient Conservative MPs being prepared to vote against their own government and for a Corbyn government. This has likely got more to do with centre right careers than principles although I would like to think there was still some consideration given to the best interests of those they are employed to represent. This is the reality no matter how much faith people here have in Corbyn, principles or whatever. Now every single politician and those around them are almost certainly perfectly well aware of this and don't need Swinson to point it out. So what is the reality of what is going on?

Corbyn does not have to step aside unless the aim is to return another term of tory incompetence at a GE.

OK, so all the talk of country before party, does this apply to all parties? If, for example, a condition of the unity govt was for Corbyn to step aside, should he?
No. That would be putting the conservative party first. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back