advertisement

How have others kept their music habit alive while also having kids?

Mmm, I didn't want to say that...

Mr Pig, Somethings in life - have to be said. I mean whom is meant to wear the pants in a relationship after all?. **** that saying about " Happy Wife, Happy Life " crap, I'm one of those guys whom has never had trouble finding another women of worth to be at my side where she belongs, not treating me as if I'm a three year old. Guys should take charge I'd save - or put on a freaking skirt. Cheers, Oscar

Never mind all these gender power struggles, there are 3 things you need to know about hi-fi and babies

1) Speakers; keep the grills on

2) Turntables; up on the wall

3) Music; Coltrane when they're hungry, Miles when they're fed

Mr Pig, Somethings in life - have to be said. I mean whom is meant to wear the pants in a relationship after all?. **** that saying about " Happy Wife, Happy Life " crap, I'm one of those guys whom has never had trouble finding another women of worth to be at my side where she belongs, not treating me as if I'm a three year old. Guys should take charge I'd save - or put on a freaking skirt. Cheers, Oscar
you mean a weak woman who won't stand up to you for equal rights or you'll act like a 3 year old and walk away til a weak one comes along that you can control. proper bloke you are like.

Personally I would never allow my wife to tell me what to do with my system - we've been together for 33 years now and not once did I ever consider like many of my cowardly friends put my components in the basement where I've seen a great of of damage done to these guys system as well as water damage to their vinyl. I don't play that " But then again I've always worn the Pants ". And as for kids - we've 5 with all of them grown now, but even at the tender ages of 2 and upwards I never had a one of them approach my system - maybe it was the nasty look I gave them as well as having a firm voice - but once again " I don't play that shit ", I've earned my money toward building a nicer life for my family and there's no way in hell I'd have a woman tell me what to spend on my system - not alone tell me how to go about setting it up - or what room it should be in. Too me those are grounds for divorce. No shit, some of you guys have become a tad bit to concerned about pleasing your wife - what about oweing something to yourself - after all she can take her ass home back to mommy!, but that's just the Blackness in me coming out. Get some balls I'd say. Damn, Oscar

I'm with you on all that dude!

you mean a weak woman who won't stand up to you for equal rights or you'll act like a 3 year old and walk away til a weak one comes along that you can control. proper bloke you are like.

ziggy stardust, I can assure you my wife is quite strong and is more then capable of speaking her mind - it is because she is the sort that believes that a man should be a man which seemed to have changed in America in the late 60's were you've a lot of men whom aren't willing to step up to the plate and commit to marriage........, not alone children they've bought into this sad ass world. No my wife happens to be supportive as I've been with her since we first met. For one I'm not attracted with weak ass women, nor ones whom can't read or write. I tend to prefer someone whom shares my passion and desire for the nicer things in life - like a proper dental plan which I'm almost certain you lack - otherwise you would be a brother in arms as I was during my stint in the USMC, while you were obviously washing dishes for your mate. But to each his own - what say thee little balls. Peace, Oscar

I'm with you on all that dude!

Hi Arkless Repairs, Thanks for the support - it means a great deal when we can in fact realize things have changed for the worst. It sound as if this guy is in the Royal Navy of something to me, " Man Up " as we say in the states. Be well, Oscar

ziggy stardust, I can assure you my wife is quite strong and is more then capable of speaking her mind - it is because she is the sort that believes that a man should be a man which seemed to have changed in America in the late 60's were you've a lot of men whom aren't willing to step up to the plate and commit to marriage........, not alone children they've bought into this sad ass world. No my wife happens to be supportive as I've been with her since we first met. For one I'm not attracted with weak ass women, nor ones whom can't read or write. I tend to prefer someone whom shares my passion and desire for the nicer things in life - like a proper dental plan which I'm almost certain you lack - otherwise you would be a brother in arms as I was during my stint in the USMC, while you were obviously washing dishes for your mate. But to each his own - what say thee little balls. Peace, Oscar
the same usmc that gets involved in everyones business but never completes the job would that be?

the same usmc that gets involved in everyones business but never completes the job would that be?

After this response, I through with this crap okay little fella - but it's the same USMC that couldn't help your great great grandparents in avoid the plague and helped your behind out because you're to chicken **** to fight your own battles. And the same ones that chased your behind back across the pond while you were trying to enforce taxes on a land that wasn't yours to rule and don't forget about being scared ****less by the Irish. And lastly what were your family members during in Africa back in the day - trying to educate its children?, or just steal that God given natural resources?. Or bring Roaches and Rats to America due to lack of this new creation called " Soap ". Dude - you got the wrong one.

After this response, I through with this crap okay little fella - but it's the same USMC that couldn't help your great great grandparents in avoid the plague and helped your behind out because you're to chicken **** to fight your own battles. And the same ones that chased your behind back across the pond while you were trying to enforce taxes on a land that wasn't yours to rule and don't forget about being scared ****less by the Irish. And lastly what were your family members during in Africa back in the day - trying to educate its children?, or just steal that God given natural resources?. Or bring Roaches and Rats to America due to lack of this new creation called " Soap ". Dude - you got the wrong one.
that all you got sister?

Eh, they listen with me.

They have no interest in classical or "uppity" music, so when I want to hear that, I do so when they are asleep.

Music is for sharing with the family. I have an amp and squeezebox within easy reach of the kids (2 & 5) and have had no problems (touch wood).

Of course, the better bits are in the soon to be completed man cave.

LOL...never thought I'd read the phrase "uppity music" on a Brit forum Teddy;-)

How's the beach? A friend sent me a shot from a pier at Holden beach around sunset. Looked like a storm front and rain directly.

I even have the squeezebox touch kids remote app for android, which is a *drastically* simplified form of the regular control.

My SBT is the centerpiece of both of my systems, sitting right among my big tube amp and my huge SS.

the kids love it.

as for being concerned about the gear? shit man, it is audio equipment, not the ark of the covenant. it is meant to be used, not protected in a gilded cage.

if my girls touch the vaccum tubes while they are hot, hell, theyll only do it once. gotta let em get bumps and scrapes. builds character.

This is true of my experience too. I miss crashing out with a bunch of mates listening to music. We used to take turns to pick tracks and take music to each other's houses. Had to listen to a lot of heavy metal! ;0)

My wife's just not interested. She doesn't 'get' most of the music I like and certainly has little musical sensitivity. She's learning though. I'd be listening to something, and it would be just getting to the best bit, and she'd barge in, turn it down and ask me something. I took the head off her! I said 'How would you like it if you were watching a good film, it was just getting to the climax and I switched the TV off and started talking to you? Or yanked the book you were reading out of your hand?'. It sounds daft but she just did not get how involved in music other people can be. It's just background to her. I tend to get piece now.

If your wife and kids watch TV it's a good idea to get a TV in another room. If the bedroom is a nice place to watch TV she'll maybe be quite happy to disappear off there to watch it leaving you the stereo. My wife rarely watches TV, I reckon the TV is on for maybe half-an-hour a day in our house, some days it's not on at all. I had it on for a few minutes earlier to see if there was anything worth watching on. Wasn't.

It's competition that they cannot handle. Most want to badger you, foist their opinions on you or just talk some crap shite, when they want to regardless of what you are doing. Having music to battle against is just not fair competition in their eyes

My kit is relegated to a 5 by 4 metre cabin down the bottom of the garden,means I can I can wind up the volume whilst the teenagers watch Home and Away,East Enders et al

Interesting thread. I have a 5 month old and am just wondering what sort of setup I should have for the next few years. My main concern is more around the LPs than the equipment (LPs would probably need to be I the lounge) and speakers toppling and crushing the little nipper. Wife's supportive luckily.

wazza, I keep the lp's in office/spare room and bring in a pile to play.

The rest of you; did the op really ask for Iron John, FFS?

advertisement

Back