advertisement

How have others kept their music habit alive while also having kids?

I took your advice and have moved everything back to its original position

You don’t feck about do you?, must be the single life :D, that must’ve been a mammoth task to move it in the first place (I doubt those amps are a quick lift) which was only a few days ago to then move it back.

Time to sit down, have a drink and listen to some music.

I used a Devialet and hid the remote when not in use. Survived two kids.

Now they are primary school age, in getting back to more interesting hifi equipment.

When Mrs cj and I moved intoour first owned house I took my own decision to downgrade the HiFi to something reasonable to fit our humble abode.
3 stacks of kit and floor standing speakers would be a tad unreasonable in the lounge.
The sale of, admittedly my pride and joy, financed it's replacement, a single stack inside a HiFi cupboard with TT on top plus some decent furniture.
Like others have said, the wee kiddywinkles knew it was a no-touch thing and they never did.

At one point Mrs cj suggested I got rid of it because of less use, I responded it goes where the TV goes, no more was ever said.

I must admit I drifted to much more headphone listening for convenience and never reinvested into better grade HiFi.

Currently most listening is again headphones or streaming through a very modest Teac 300. Most the kit, which has been box swapped a little, has been relegated to storage now along with half of the DIY stuff as well.

Keep or sell, undecided but it seems a shame not to use it.

I have four kids and have not changed a thing to accommodate them, apart from making the grills on the speakers a tighter fit (with cable heat shrink fitted over the male part of the grill mounts - top tip!)

Everything else has stayed as is. There’s an open fire in the same room, I didn’t block that up when kids arrived either. Just taught them what’s allowed. Granted it was tough with 4 babies, but now the youngest is nearly two she gets it as well as the others.

They love music, the problem I have is that they hide the remote control so their choice can’t be changed by a sibling!

If you teach the kids to be careful with things, not to touch certain things, you won't have a problem. My Hi-Fi has never been removed, hidden or protected. The kids have never done any harm to it. In fact the only damage I have ever had was a visiting teenager pushing in a tweeter on my Kans!

I despair when I see people talking about how their kids wreck stuff and there is nothing they can do about it. I've had friends who's kids broke every ornament they had. The kids aren't bad, it's the parents that are stupid! If you teach the kids how to behave properly, they will. Some people just have no idea how to do that.

But they usually bleat on about how they've tried everything but that's just the way the kids are. Garbage! You watch them with the kids and they are just utterly clueless. Nobody likes being told they don't know how to discipline their kids though so there is nothing you can do about it.

Unless of course the kids have some kind of mental health problem, which some do. I know a few folk who had kids that were a huge problem when they were younger, one spent half his childhood drugged up to keep him on the ground. But if you've got normal kids, teach them. They are smart, even as toddlers. If you can train a dog not to crap in your house you can certainly train a child not to smash up your Hi-Fi.
Yup, I agree 100%.
We did the same, the girls both grew up listening to a wide range of music on a wide range of equipment and never did anything get damaged.
I think it's the same with so much of being a parent - include them in your life, teach them your values and show them how to behave. Basic discipline (as in knowing the boundaries) was instilled in them from the start as was a certain amount of routine, and it makes for an easy life with people who I really enjoy being with as do so many of our friends, their friends parents, teachers etc.

Yup, I agree 100%.
We did the same, the girls both grew up listening to a wide range of music on a wide range of equipment and never did anything get damaged.
I think it's the same with so much of being a parent - include them in your life, teach them your values and show them how to behave. Basic discipline (as in knowing the boundaries) was instilled in them from the start as was a certain amount of routine, and it makes for an easy life with people who I really enjoy being with as do so many of our friends, their friends parents, teachers etc.

I do agree but I think genetics also have an effect on whether they are likely to destroy your stuff or not!

I do agree but I think genetics also have an effect on whether they are likely to destroy your stuff or not!

True. If you continue the analogy of dogs, some are easy to train and some impossible. I had a Lab that you couldn't train, and I knew how to train dogs. Another guy I know had a black Lab that was the same. He took it to an obedience class and they told him not to bring it back!

Kids can be like that too but nine times out of ten, when I see kids that are out of control it's because the parents are clueless.

Some just approach parenthood differently, they seem to want to change every aspect of their life to accommodate the new arrivals. For example, buy a massive car, extend the house, have every device ever invented which may make life easier etc.

I even ran a 3 dr car when child number one came along. Eldest child has not been traumatised by the experience. It is possible to have a life, complete with hobbies & interests while being a parent;)

Some just approach parenthood differently, they seem to want to change every aspect of their life to accommodate the new arrivals. For example, buy a massive car, extend the house, have every device ever invented which may make life easier etc.

I even ran a 3 dr car when child number one came along. Eldest child has not been traumatised by the experience. It is possible to have a life, complete with hobbies & interests while being a parent;)

I kept my 911 and still have it. The maxi cosi baby seat used to go in the back. Now he is 5 he loves going in it. We did get rid of a 2 seat convertible though and replaced it with a 4 door.

One of my kids trashed my cartridge and not long after one of them damaged a speaker cone. That coincided with the start of building work on the new kitchen etc so I put it all away and it was another twelve years before any of it saw the light of day again :eek:

Mine are 18 and 14 but when the oldest was little I swapped some stand mount speakers for floor standers. Big and heavy ones. Seemed sensible. Sounded better. Over the years I’ve suffered a damaged tweeter , that’s it. These days I make sure the kitten is asleep before the tt goes on

Going back to the original question, it’s challenging with a shared space and made more difficult as everyone is always at home at the moment. That said opportunities do arise, I can get the odd bit of time to stretch the systems legs ie give it a blast as I do on occasion enjoy a ‘spirited’ listen. Makes a change from having to watch and listen to TV progs like Peppa Pig and Barbie lol.
I’d not consider selling or downsizing because of my daughter, it’s more to do with the other half moaning about the size of the speakers. I have to even admit Classic ATC SCM100ASLs are not the prettiest and I am seriously thinking of alternatives. Just obviously hard to do much about it actively, concerning demos.
I’ve had one issue with my daughter pushing in the bass mid of one of my original surround sound speakers (ATC SCM11). It was an easy fix, no harm done and I now use the SCM20SL, my first speaker from ATC.

You don’t feck about do you?, must be the single life :D, that must’ve been a mammoth task to move it in the first place (I doubt those amps are a quick lift) which was only a few days ago to then move it back.

Time to sit down, have a drink and listen to some music.
I'm a bit of worker bee to be honest, hate being idle and things are really quiet at work. Yep, it was a major ball ache; the speakers weigh 30kg apiece and need careful placement on the three supporting cones. The amps are 40kg each and they are massively imbalanced with three quarters of that weight in the rear where the transformers are so they need very careful handling. The DAC is also about 20kg but that’s a right faff to remove and replace on the shelf as the shelf is suspended. It took two hours to get is all moved and set up correctly so yes, most of Saturday morning was spent relaxing and listening to music with my youngest snuggled next to me.

I put away my Roksan Xerxes 14 years ago when my daughter was born, I've havent managed to get a full hi-fi system going since.I'm not sure I want to anymore, I'd rather something simple like active wireless speakers.

advertisement

Back