advertisement

How good is Well Tempered Simplex

I haven't heard them side by side with the same cartridge but it would surprise me if anyone could separate any of the WT decks in a proper blind test.
I got the Amadeus GTa over the Simplex just because I thought the latter looked a bit dinky and I knew my brain was connected to my eyes.

My friend who has a mk2 Simplex was tempted to buy a Versalex, he was advised not to bother as the performance differences were so marginal.

I believe the issue of upgraded power supplies was discussed in an earlier WTL thread.

I replaced the wallwart initially with a Swagman lps but couldn't honestly tell a difference. I took a flyer on a WTL BPS and thought there was a positive sonic difference in my set-up. Not a night and day or must have upgrade but worth the cost in my opinion. Full disclosure my BPS is currently listed on CAM.

FYI (check with pear audio though) I think any issues the Mk2 plinth can be fitted.

Deck just sounds incredible, takes more or less any cartridge and doesn’t need upgraded.

If it had a dust cover I think it’d be perfect.

I still have the original p/s on my Amadeus but I can believe that removing the SMPS might have an effect, especially on some phono stages as much as on the deck itself.

I haven't heard them side by side with the same cartridge but it would surprise me if anyone could separate any of the WT decks in a proper blind test.
I got the Amadeus GTa over the Simplex just because I thought the latter looked a bit dinky and I knew my brain was connected to my eyes.

I had a simplex mk1 and a current spec versalex at the same time and I would struggle to say the versalex is much better. On balance I prefer the more expensive deck but there really isn’t much in it, a simplex mk2 is probably a real sweet spot in the range. Stick an Auditorium 23 mat on it with a linear power supply ( I suspect a cheap one is fine ) and you have fantastic deck for sensible money.

maybe one advantage of the versalex is you don’t feel crazy putting a really expensive cartridge on it!

Could I ask. What does the ‘original’ PSU look like? Mine is marked ‘Sunpower’ 12v

LG120050RBS

Seems to be a linear wall wart PSU

Could I ask. What does the ‘original’ PSU look like? Mine is marked ‘Sunpower’ 12v

LG120050RBS

Seems to be a linear wall wart PSU

I think the importer in each country sources an appropriate PSU so there may not be a ‘standard’ model.

regards

Kevin

Mine says Power Pax UK. It's 12V 500 mA. Standard wallwart, nothing special. I imagine that the Simplex would have had the same.

advertisement

Back