advertisement

How good is Well Tempered Simplex

You’re paying for expert engineering, a distributor and a dealer. Just as one is with an LP12, for example. A Technics is slightly different because of massive economies of scale and state of the art manufacturing facilities.

Judging anything by parts cost is a fool’s game in HiFi. We’re supposed to value sound quality. If a Simplex sounds better at its price point then it is better. I’ve owned Linn, Well Tempered and Technics turntables and enjoy them all for what they are.

If the Simplex has such cheap parts, and is Made in PRC, why is it so expensive?

Same reason that everything costs what it costs....because that is the price that they think they can get away with selling it at.

Who knowingly sells cheap knowing that they could sell it for a lot more ?

Actually I didn’t know it was made in PRC. Are all WTs? If yes, it’s something I can cross off my list, in much the same way as the doubtless excellent Audiolab 9000 CDT was. I’m sure my Well Tempered Record Player and Classic weren’t made there. Having said that, I rather doubt either company is using slave labour.

Yes, all WT is made in China nowadays. My Amadeus 254 GT is an excellent piece of kit. The early models; Classic, Reference, Record Player etc were made in USA.

First time poster here.

I got my WTA 9 years ago and it’s been a fantastic player! Brings lots of excitement to the music which many turntables can’t do.

but it’s time to say goodbye to the WTA….

…. I have the revised 254 GT on order!

none left in the US so I’m waiting. About 6 weeks so far.

I’ve used several wood body Grado’s with it, all with wonderful results.

first was the Sonata. Then moved up the the Master, then the Reference v3 which was a significant improvement.

I decided to upgrade to The Statement. But the day i planned to order it I idly wondered over my breakfast nuggets how much the Aeon upgrade would cost?

Grado has a great upgrade program in place. You can replace with like model or the next model or two up for 33% off.

I contacted the Grado Sales Dir and learned my cost was $4k.

I thought , it’s now or never (68 years old) so I did it.

I was hoping to have the 254 by the time the Grado arrived but no.

that’s OK. The cart is breaking in nicely and the WTA is not embarrassed in the least with a world class cart.

it’s an amazing combination. Piano music sounds otherworldly.

my dealer says the revised 254 GT is a nice upgrade from the WTA.

this is going to be good!

Last edited:
Since the 254 GT will be my last TT barring unforeseen disaster I want to get a replacement motor. It’s the only wear item aside from belts which I finally learned how to tie. It’s ridiculously simple.

I found the motor for the WTA and wonder if it’s the same for the 254 GT?

it may not be since the TT has a switchable, variable speed controller.

I sent a note to Mike Pranka, our US distributor. Will post info here should I learn something

UPDATE

Same motor confirmed.

Last edited:
i have become interested in a simplex deck having seen all the comments across various forums.

the mk1 seemed to suffer plinth damage quite commonly as seen on the one recently sold in classifieds on here.
does anyone know if this issue was addressed in the mk2?

i have become interested in a simplex deck having seen all the comments across various forums.

the mk1 seemed to suffer plinth damage quite commonly as seen on the one recently sold in classifieds on here.
does anyone know if this issue was addressed in the mk2?

Yes as it’s ply not MDF.

It will only occur on the Mk1 if people get enthusiastic with an allen key.

Had a Mk1 Simplex for years that I just sold. Can't imagine how you would crack the plinth unless that was your goal at the outset.

It was built by Opera Consonance which wasn't any kind of secret if you can read. The brand is/was held in high esteem for building very good sounding gear. Don't know if all WTL decks are made by Consonance.

I owned numerous decks including Systemdek, Sota, LP12 and the Simplex was by far the most musically satisfying and least fiddly of the bunch. Understand not to everyone's aesthetic but If musical reproduction is indeed the marker it deserves a listen and is in no way overpriced.

Had a Mk1 Simplex for years that I just sold. Can't imagine how you would crack the plinth unless that was your goal at the outset.

well i would guess its nobody's goal but appears very common.
probably why WT ditched mdf and used ply for mk2.

lets face it mdf has uses but limitations

It was built by Opera Consonance which wasn't any kind of secret if you can read. The brand is/was held in high esteem for building very good sounding gear. Don't know if all WTL decks are made by Consonance.

I owned numerous decks including Systemdek, Sota, LP12 and the Simplex was by far the most musically satisfying and least fiddly of the bunch. Understand not to everyone's aesthetic but If musical reproduction is indeed the marker it deserves a listen and is in no way overpriced.

Agree the Simplex sounds great, I found it a bit of a faff to set up but once it’s done it’s done.

I certainly agree it’s musically satisfying, I’m not yet convinced it matches my LP12 overall but I do need to switch cartridges. Currently running a Hana SL on the Simplex and a Dv20XL2 on the LP12. For reference, my LP12 has an Aro, Avondale TAPS psu, TA Plateau subchassis and a Karousel bearing.

what did you go for after the simplex?

I haven't heard them side by side with the same cartridge but it would surprise me if anyone could separate any of the WT decks in a proper blind test.
I got the Amadeus GTa over the Simplex just because I thought the latter looked a bit dinky and I knew my brain was connected to my eyes.

advertisement

Back