advertisement

How do you tag CLASSICAL CD rips?

....J River gives you the option of whether you want changes in tags to be written back to the file, or just kept in J Rivers own database. I chose write back because it made more sense.....

I didn't know JRiver can do that. Presumably the advantage of writing tags back to file is that they can be used - hopefully - with a range of playback software.

How do you set tagging to write back to file (I should add that when ripping I tag initially in dBPoweramp)? Is it possible to subsequently store tags back to file if they have initially been saved to JRiver?

I didn't know JRiver can do that. Presumably the advantage of writing tags back to file is that they can be used - hopefully - with a range of playback software.

How do you set tagging to write back to file (I should add that when ripping I tag initially in dBPoweramp)? Is it possible to subsequently store tags back to file if they have initially been saved to JRiver?

Hi - This should answer your questions:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Update_Tags_When_File_Info_Changes

I suspect most people will mostly want to keep up to date tag info in the files. But if say your files are stored in the cloud, or on a NAS, then you might be less inclined to do so to save network traffic. Also if you are messing around doing bulk tag updates - say fixing spellings or whatever, then it’s handy and faster and safer to just update J Rivers database until you are happy with your work, when you can then update the files concerned.

J River also lets you set tags based on the folders where a file is stored - very handy for people who have put a lot of work into their folder structure - and it lets you do the opposite, ie move files to folders based on tags, which could be handy for people who haven’t put any work into their folder structure.

Plus it has all sorts of fancy expressions for constructing tags from other tags.

I would never have enough space for those things, not with 22 metres of CDs

That's about 2200 CDs. It's possible. Each CD flip rack takes 20CDs so you'd need 110 x 0.135m = 14.85m.
They require 0.40m deep shelves but you could put them in 4x 1.00m-wide 1.40m-high bookcases with 4 shelves spaced 0.35m. :D
Not that anyone would really need to have flip access to all of a 2200 CD collection anyway...

A
That's about 2200 CDs. It's possible. Each CD flip rack takes 20CDs so you'd need 110 x 0.135m = 14.85m.
They require 0.40m deep shelves but you could put them in 4x 1.00m-wide 1.40m-high bookcases with 4 shelves spaced 0.35m. :D
Not that anyone would really need to have flip access to all of a 2200 CD collection anyway...

And every time you buy a cd you have to move on average 1100 CDs one space down .. unless you leave gaps, which only delays the problem, or you never buy CDs... or you just buy Zs ..

A

And every time you buy a cd you have to move on average 1100 CDs one space down .. unless you leave gaps, which only delays the problem, or you never buy CDs... or you just buy Zs ..

We'll spotted! I used to leave gaps. I guess it depends on how the collection is organised and your ability to anticipate future purchases.

advertisement

Back