advertisement

How do you tag CLASSICAL CD rips?

After three different attempts I got fed up and just threw the CD into the drive attached to the Mac.

After a bit of fiddling to get the hang of ripping in iTunes the result seems to be correctly read by Roon.

The biggest hassle is locating the rip to avoid WAV clutter in my otherwise mp3 only iTunes library §it is there only to populate my phone with music).

Next question:

is there a better cd ripper (i.e. sound quality-wise) than the convenient one in iTunes for a MAC

That's all I use, ripping to Apple Lossless. Presuming it's a perfect copy so no need to use anything else.

Set up a smart playlist in iTunes to show your lossless rip file types, so .aiff, .wav, .mp4 and a minimum bitrate if you want to weed out lossy mp4 files.

Or use the recent items one that I think is there by default unless you delete it

Depends .. iTunes won’t identify CDs with HDCD encoding, won’t respect the drive offset of your cd drive, and may or may not give you the results you want with CDs that have been encoded with pre-emphasis, and may not find hidden tracks. It also might not write tags to the files themselves, which means your files might be difficult to move to other players/machines. DBpoweramp is very persistent with worn CDs and verifies everything against a global database of checksums. iTunes rips what it can and I don’t think it even tells you if there are errors.

Not sure what your problem with dBpoweramp is - the default folder structure is usually reasonable, and if you have correctly set up your tags and use decent playback software it won’t matter in the slightest what folders your rips are in. But they do have a forum and you may even get an answer from Spoon, the author.

i rip using dBPoweramp to rip, and play back on JRiver. The tags, once made in dBP can be altered in JRiver as can 'album cover' artwork.

How transferable are the tags between different playback programs? If one moved from JRiver to, say, Roon, would the tags carry across without problems? In other words, is there an industry standard here (in the better software at least) or is it a tagging free for all Wild West?

dBPoweramp works well for ripping to FLAC and tagging for me, like others I sometimes resort to mp3tag for tidying up / difficult albums. My system is Win 10 though, no idea about Apple stuff.

i rip using dBPoweramp to rip, and play back on JRiver. The tags, once made in dBP can be altered in JRiver as can 'album cover' artwork.

How transferable are the tags between different playback programs? If one moved from JRiver to, say, Roon, would the tags carry across without problems? In other words, is there an industry standard here (in the better software at least) or is it a tagging free for all Wild West?

I used dBpoweramp to do all my ripping, and I used J River for many years. Excellent combination. If i wanted to change tags I would either do that through J River or just right click the file in Windows and edit the tags using dbpoweramps tag editor. J River gives you the option of whether you want changes in tags to be written back to the file, or just kept in J Rivers own database. I chose write back because it made more sense. When I moved to Roon I got given the choice of using my own tags or using Roons database. I went along with Roon’s database, so far without too much aggravation.

There’s absolutely no standard for tagging especially when it come to classical music. If there was a standard hardly anyone one would be happy with it.

Given that everything goes through Roon, this is what I have ended up using.

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]/[track] [composer] - [title]

It has the disadvantage of filing albums by "album artist" but keeps albums together. When I tried inserting "composer" further left in the chain it split albums up into their component composers, making a right royal mess of such albums as "A chance operation - the John Cage tribute".

I have even treated myself to the latest version dbpoweramp (Mac and Windows) which includes more tags for classical than my previous version 14.

Given that everything goes through Roon, this is what I have ended up using.

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]/[track] [composer] - [title]

It has the disadvantage of filing albums by "album artist" but keeps albums together. When I tried inserting "composer" further left in the chain it split albums up into their component composers, making a right royal mess of such albums as "A chance operation - the John Cage tribute".

I have even treated myself to the latest version dbpoweramp (Mac and Windows) which includes more tags for classical than my previous version 14.
Why does it matter to you which folders albums get put in? Imo you shouldn’t be using folders to browse or navigate your music, you should be using tags.

Why does it matter to you which folders albums get put in? Imo you shouldn’t be using folders to browse or navigate your music, you should be using tags.

Not every device is capable of browsing tags, and copying music to some places, such as a USB disk for the car or a portable music player, is really only practical using directories(aka folders, depending on OS) and files.

When you get the tagging wrong it helps to know where to look for the offending items...

Otherwise I letterboxed he software find the music.

When you get the tagging wrong it helps to know where to look for the offending items...

Otherwise I letterboxed he software find the music.

Just to remind you again that by default Roon will use its own tags for all your music so there’s possibly no need to go overboard yourself.

In a way I agree with Andy that it doesn’t matter where and how the files are stored, but I do like to keep files tidy on my computer and use, when necessary, the facility in JRiver to move and rename. It also has a tool to copy (and convert if required) files to a portable device. Great, versatile, software but does involve a bit of head scratching from time to time! Since getting the hang of JRiver I haven’t had to use dBpoweramp as the ripping is normally reliable. Only in the case of a badly damaged CD do I use EAC for a rip.

In a way I agree with Andy that it doesn’t matter where and how the files are stored, but I do like to keep files tidy on my computer and use, when necessary, the facility in JRiver to move and rename. It also has a tool to copy (and convert if required) files to a portable device. Great, versatile, software but does involve a bit of head scratching from time to time! Since getting the hang of JRiver I haven’t had to use dBpoweramp as the ripping is normally reliable. Only in the case of a badly damaged CD do I use EAC for a rip.

Agree about J River. I found dBpoweramp to be a lot faster, so it made more sense to use it when I was ploughing through my cd collection. Also the verification against Accuraterip was reassuring, and the detection of HDCD content and pre-emphasis flags. But J River is excellent to use for retagging and moving stuff around. It can also be used to set tags from the file path and civics versa which could be very useful to people (unlike me) who have used folders as their principal means of organising. Now I’m with Roon and Qobuz I’ve given up on being so pernickety as a price worth paying for the riches of Qobuz.

That is true about the speed of ripping. When I ripped my collection I started off using dbe then used iTunes in secure mode, doing the tagging from an Access database I started years ago and transferring over data with macros. Now I just add the odd CD or download so find JRiver convenient.

The best thing about JRiver, especially for classical listeners is the excellent JRemote app for selecting and playing one’s music. Unlike so many alternatives which were written with pop and rock in mind it can be tailored for a classical library.

I use XLD to extract the music from the CDs and iTunes for tagging.

I tag all my tracks manually, using the information on http://imslp.org/ for reference:

Song
Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-flat Major, Op55 - I. Allegro Con Brio
Composer: Work, Catalogue Number (when available) "Name" (when available) - (roman numerals)Movement Number. movement name - tempo

Artist
Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, Wiener Philharmoniker (or Mstislav Rostropovich (cello), Benjamin Britten (piano))
Maestro, Orchestra; Soloist (instrument)

Album
Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-flat Major, Op. 55 "Eroica" [Schmidt-Isserstedt, VPO - 1965]
Composer: Work, Catalogue Number (when available) "Name" (when available) [soloist; Maestro, Orchestra acronym - year recorded]
I add the year of the recording because often the same artist recorded the same piece several times

Album Artist
Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt (or Mstislav Rostropovich (cello))
Soloist (instrument) or Maestro
I choose one artist (the one that interests me most or the most prominent) and add the instrument because sometimes the same artist can be a soloist or a maestro…ex.: Rostropovich / Rostropovich (cello).

Composer
Beethoven, Ludwig Van

Grouping
Symphonies
I group according to Symphonies, Chamber, Songs and Cantatas, Opera Suites, Symphonic Poems, "Instrument name" Concertos, Cello Sonatas, Solo Piano, etc.

Genre
Classical
The musical period (Baroque, Romantic, etc.)

Date
The composition year (last date)

Comments
Decca
Label

hQYNAEC.png

Using iTunes' column browser I can search by Genre, Composer, Grouping, Artist or Album (I have split major pieces into separate albums, i.e. each "Symphony" or "Piano Sonata" is an individual album but have grouped lesser works as i.e. "Orchestral Works" or "Piano Works").

I use the "Genre" tag field to specify the Era - Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern

I use the "Grouping" tag field to specify the Category - Ballet Suites, Cello Sonatas, Chamber, "Instrument name" Concertos, Opera Suites, Piano Sonatas, Solo Piano, Songs and Cantatas, Symphonic Poems, Symphonies, Violin Solo, etc.

advertisement

Back