advertisement

How do you clean your records?

Things that ‘track’ like the Lorricraft are very good, but they take way too long for me to take them seriously. I could clean maybe five records in the time that thing takes to do one...

I know what you mean, I have a Loricraft and it’s a great machine, albeit a bit long winded. I use L’Art du Son; I’ve not tried anything else TBH. Like Tony, I’d not be without an RCM, it certainly takes a lot problems away from vinyl replay IMHO.

There must be more to your recipe for cleaning than that? My stylus picks up fibres and fluff and a little gets picked up by the Hunt brush, even after cleaning and storing records in Nagaoka sleeves.

Yes, but that’s because there is dust and fluff in the air at all times; you can see it when the Sun is shining brightly through the window. You only need a soft brush to remove it. Once the record is properly cleaned and stored, the static is gone and there will be no attraction to the disc.

WRT the comment about cleaning records becoming a ball ache, I’d personally not bother if it got to be that much of a PITA.

Another user of the pro-ject vcs here, I use The Right One fluid and give them a right good scrub with the brush in all directions, it is offensively noisy though IMO.

It's certainly got me considering a more expensive/quieter machine in the future though, I wouldn't be without a RCM after owning one.

I've seen the noise mentioned quite a few times (not just on this thread) so I am not singling you out :)

I don't get it though, yes the vacuum is noisy but it's only on for a handful of seconds for each side. I assume that's what folk are speaking of versus the normal motor noise?

Have had my Moth for > 25 years,it came from the first batch ever made and cost £250 IIRC.I use 2 mixes 3-1 IPA and BP grade water with dishwasher rinse aid,sometimes a 2-1 mix for really soiled disc's and use new inner anti static sleeves,probably cleaned 5K discs this way.

I have considered the ultrasonic cleaners,but as I rarely buy LPs nowadays I think I will stick with the Moth.

I recently took the ultrasonic plunge, I now have a Kirmuss US device, I think rinse and dry with the PRC3. I'm stunned by the lift in sound quality (I don't mean the relative lack of clicks & pops) . The cleaning though is a real ball ache.

Not surprised ! Having two (expensive ) RCMs; one for cleaning and, effectively, one for vacuuming/drying, would equate to 'having a dog and doing your own barking'. The machine, i.m.o., should be capable of doing the complete job, however much it excels in one process.

Even with a standard RCM, you need to allow for full drying on the platter (by evaporation) before sleeving; otherwise you can introduce the potential for mould. Obviously, an IPA mix is more efficient in that regard and warmer ambient temperature speeds the process.

Last edited:
Once you have over a handful of vinyl, a wet cleaner is the best way to go.
Store them in anti static sleeves in a cool dry place in such a way that can 'breathe' but not flop about.
A good anti stat brush on start up will remove any static that remains and loose dust.
A spotless stylus is a great idea.

Not surprised ! Having two (expensive ) RCDs; one for cleaning and, effectively, one for vacuuming/drying, would equate to 'having a dog and doing your own barking'. The machine, i.m.o., should be capable of doing the complete job, however much it excels in one process
I don't disagree but it's a balance I'm fine with. I was considering selling the Loricraft, I'd get about 500 quid for it, it's a PRC3 mk1. The Kirmuss works just fine without the Loricraft but I find their final steps a bit long-winded so I'm trying the Loricraft in this role for a few weeks. Alternatives to the Kirmuss which dry the records are the Degritter and Audiodesk - both cost about 2.5 times the Kirmuss.

A new Loricraft plus Kirmuss would less expensive than Degritter or Audiodesk though I'm not advocating that approach. As the Kirmuss works fine with their drying technique I can't really criticise it. I've not made comparison myself but the suspicion is that the Kirmuss is the best US cleaner in terms so getting records clean and their resulting sound quality - but the comparisons get very detailed and nerdy...

Clearly off the pace here, but those 90s Rega manuals that said "by and large, record cleaning is overdone" have a powerful hold over me.

I can sort-of see the benefits of wet cleaning, but I remain in doubt as to how this can be better than the enormous pressure and temperature power of the stylus doing its thing.

If you saw the colour of the liquid draining off after cleaning a number of LP's. Ugh, you would be convinced. lol

Regarding the two different types of RCM, notably the VPI & the Loricraft, one uses alcohol type mixtures that evaporate rather quickly, so have to be vacuumed away before the crud in the groove dries, whereas the other is best used with an agent such as L’Art du Son, that are best left to soak in the groove for a while.

My PHK from Brazil is still going strong...Unfortunately I think the fella has stopped making them (Teddy Ray the chap that did this youtube video used to post on this forum I believe...) ;-

I've seen the noise mentioned quite a few times (not just on this thread) so I am not singling you out :)

I don't get it though, yes the vacuum is noisy but it's only on for a handful of seconds for each side. I assume that's what folk are speaking of versus the normal motor noise?

Yes I mean the hoover noise, it is louder than my actual hoover.

Is it really safe to wash records?
Yes. Take care to keep the water off the label. The rest of it is just a piece of PVC, so you can leave it in a lake. (Probably not a great idea, to be fair). I just rinse with clean water and let it drain. Some people prefer distilled because they want to avoid limescale. I'm not concerned about this, if you drain it promptly then it's like washing and rinsing a wine glass. If properly drained there are no marks. However distilled water is cheap if you prefer.

Yes I mean the hoover noise, it is louder than my actual hoover.

Not sure it's a Hoover in the Project, might be a Dyson though :p:p

Anyway, in all seriousness, you still find it a big enough issue even though it's only on for a few seconds?

I tried L'art once,it went mouldy in storage and also left a sticky residue which then required another rinse with purified water,this has never been an issue for me with the IPA mix.

A couple of years back at a bakeoff I got talking to someone who had purchased an Audiodesk,it packed up after the warranty had expired so went back to the makers who told him it couldn't be repaired and offered him a £500 discount if he purchased a new one.

I tried L'art once,it went mouldy in storage and also left a sticky residue which then required another rinse with purified water,this has never been an issue for me with the IPA mix.

Yes, but L’Art du Son is best kept cold / dark ie a refrigerator.

Been reading the thread Vinyl Pops and Clicks and saw a few contributions about cleaning records. Had a general search for advice but thought it might be worth putting the question out there (not for the first time I'm sure).

Best wishes, Peter
Agree with posters who say a Record vacuum cleaning machine is the only way to go. Have had a few over the years. In terms of value for money Project RCM is the best for me. Cleaning fluid for me is SCHAALLPLATTEN REINIGER none alcohol wee bit expensive but goes a long way. Distilled water is a MUST not tap water , not tap water boiled ether. Brush I use one with a wooden handle forget the name of it but the brushes are sturdy. Clamp record and power. I do five turns ( spins ) anti clockwise with the brush on the record just holding it letting the machine do the work. Then another five turns clock wise. Stop the machine then putting the vacuum arm on the record start up till dry just a few spins. When dry I then take a anti static brush to the record always sweeping the same side of the brush on the record. Regarding brush I always use a strong sticky tape put on to the anti static brush to get any dust taken off the anti static brush before touching the record. Then the LP is put into a new anti static inner sleeve.

another shout for the Disco Antistat gadget at approx. £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BFXIVW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Ditch the useless liquid that comes with it.

After years messing about with IPA and photographic wetting agents, I now use a couple of drops of very cheap clothes-washing biological liquid into deionised water. Shake the mixture vigorously in a container before usage.

What I like about the Antistat is that you can soak an L.P. for as long as you like to to remove reluctant specks of dirt. Useful when cleaning proper dirty records. It is difficult to think of an easier/cheaper way to soak a record in a solution for a long period of time without buggering up the labels.

I also use Scotch 3M 'Magic' tape - it is incredible stuff which lifts off specks of stuck of dirt (most times, but will not lift glue/nail varnish)

I use it to clean my dust-buster gel, works a lot better than washing it under a tap. I have been banging on about this for years, but I don't think many have ever tried it.

The best other use for the 'magic' tape is to lift off the dust trapped in the little carbon stylus cleaing brush, (mine is ortofon, but it is a standard thing) it takes the dust out of the brush in one go, leaves no residue. I have yet to know of a better way to clean those brush heads.
I will keep bangin' on about it because it works so well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
L’art du Son and the Loricraft PRC 4 for me- I can clean a record while listening to another because of how quiet it is.
Good luck with your decision!

Moth RCM and homebrew IPA RCM fluid here. I've used ilfotol, rinse aid and washing up liquid as additives, all with identical results.

Also, it may only be a bit of rubber with some velvet stuck to it, but the Mofi record brush is brilliant for wet cleaning.

advertisement

Back