advertisement

How do you clean your records?

One observation I will make about record cleaning machines is that, like a bread maker, a record cleaning machine will only get proper use if you have the space to leave it out all the time. You'll never use it if you have to dig the thing out of a cupboard every time you want to use it.

url=http://www.ipernity.com/doc/296341/49483722]
49483722.7ab0b4c0.800.jpg
[/url]
IMG 0433

Even if you leave it out the pile gets bigger...

I'm leaning towards buying one of these Project VC-E machines as I don't have space for a larger RCM like my old Loricraft PRC3 (now sold to a good friend) and well, I need something. The word on the web is that it does the job although the exhaust vent faces up towards the underside of the record. Is this a problem? I really appreciate the small form factor of the VC-E but if it comes with problems then I'll probably have to look elsewhere.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve been using a vc-e for a couple of years now. Best money I ever spent! I clean new records and they’re silent. If they’re not it’s a pressing issue. It’s the price of 10 (maybe) new records and pays for itself very quickly. I admit to being a sceptic initially, but a total convert once I got to grips with the process. Do it!

p.s. the only issue with the (smaller) VC-E is that the exhaust blows moist air directly into the underside of the record being cleaned. They’ve included a 12” platter nowadays, but that brings its own contamination issues. What I did was super-glue a small length of pipe to the exhaust to take it away from the record. (I’ll take a pic tomorrow if I remember.). Since then it’s been absolute perfection.

I bought a VPI 16.5 cleaner some years ago and slowly worked my way through cleaning my vinyl records. I still have around 20 of the most recent purchases to do which I’ll get around to one day.

Watered-down dish soap, soft cloth and water in the sink for me too.
I stick mine in the dishwasher on the pre-rinse setting with a squirt of head and shoulders, then dry them with a microfibre towel. They come out all black and shiny just like Claudia Winklemans hair. :)

now seriously have you seen the wood glue method

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards buying one of these Project VC-E machines <snip> although the exhaust vent faces up towards the underside of the record. Is this a problem? I really appreciate the small form factor of the VC-E but if it comes with problems then I'll probably have to look elsewhere.

I've just got one. Excellent results. I've not experienced any issues with contamination from the vent - I think that might only be a problem if you clean a load and somewhat fill the tank. It would be very easy to put some gauze over it. It looks like some bog standard plumbing pipe and I suspect is a standard diameter.

Look out for deals on them on the 'Bay - got mine for £30 less as 'open box' but it was clearly unused and not even unwrapped.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can't see it fitting the VC-E snugly if it's designed to fit the S too. Kinda defeats the point of having a smaller cleaner. You could probably knock one up with a bit of cloth and a half hour with a sewing machine ;-)

Yeah, I think I'll give the official cloth cover a miss and come up with my own solution, like a cupboard.

Perhaps one of the places that makes large perspex or acrylic boxes to cover large turntables could make you a small turntable lid, one you could just lift on and off.

Good news, I've bought a Project VC-E (well, I've ordered one). I'll see if I can pick up an 8oz squeeze bottle from somewhere and I'll be good to go. Oh, and I'll probably improvise a solution to the ventilation issue as well and see if I can't direct the exhaust air off to the side. All I need to do after that is buy some dirty records and I'm good to go :)

My Project VC-E arrived today... and it looks like it'll be going straight back as it's clearly suffered a bump during transport. The unit is still operational, but there's a very noticeable dent halfway down one of the corners. I guess it's just one of those things and I'll need to go through the faff of sending it back for a replacement. Oh well.

advertisement

Back