advertisement

How do you clean your records?

I use the Moth fluid in preference to the project stuff that came with the machine. Works better as far as I'm concerned and no hassle at all with diluting or anything so just makes it that little bit less of a hassle. I have to say that cleaning maybe 5 or 6 at a time is enough for me :)

Another ProJect vcs user here. Does a superb job. Build quality could be better but as an amateur, it is easily good enough.
I don’t put much pressure on the brush, I just use it to evenly distribute the ( project) cleaning fluid over the record, spinning it in both directions, just to be sure.
I leave it for 30-60 seconds to soak in & then hoover it off, 2 or 3 revolutions in each direction.
Into a new poly-lined inner sleeve.
Pretty much job done.
I’ve got a zero-stat gun & a carbon fibre brush, but they get very little use since I started using the project cleaner.

As has been said already, a wet vacuum RCM is high on the list of essentials for a serious TT set up - apart from improving the sound quality, removing this dirt from the grooves reduces stylus wear and prevent crud going up into the generator assembly.

I used a Moth for many years - it never missed a beat, even though it’s pretty loud. Sold the Moth recently and bought a vintage Keith Monks MkII - boy is the KMAL good and so
Much quieter!

I never clean mine.

Ah, but do you ever play them?:D

VPI 16'5 here, tolerable noise (but it helps to be a bit Mutt & Jeff, I s'pose). 4:1 water to IPA + dash of quality unperfumed w/up liquid. Did my whole collection (1250+) over a few years; became addicted after a while.

Squeeze fluid (squeezy bottle) one revolution or so; hold and angle/manipulate brush to spread evenly (and it needs to be wet) few more rev's. Soak. Repeat brush work (gently but firmly), esp on lead in/out grooves. Vac. Leave to fully dry (by evaporation; depends upon ambient temp.) turn over and repeat. Check thoroughly (it should shine unless knackered) before (new) sleeving (poly paper or Nag. type).

No more static; ever!

Do you recommend a particular brush / fluid (or recipe) Tony?

My mix is one third 99% pure isopropyl to two thirds purified or distilled water and a drop or two of Fairy liquid as a wetting agent. My favoured brush at present is a Tonar ‘Woodgoat’, but the handle isn’t holding up too well to the water so I’ll likely replace it with the ‘Wetgoat’.

Clearly off the pace here, but those 90s Rega manuals that said "by and large, record cleaning is overdone" have a powerful hold over me.

I can sort-of see the benefits of wet cleaning, but I remain in doubt as to how this can be better than the enormous pressure and temperature power of the stylus doing its thing.

I now use a Pro-Ject VC-S with the Wash It fluid mixed at a 10:1 ratio with triple distilled water. Used to have a Moth but the Pro-Ject is not only cheaper but better ergonomically and also in regards to performance, with a significantly better vacuum system. I've also owned higher end machines such as the Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner which I don't miss one bit.

I can sort-of see the benefits of wet cleaning, but I remain in doubt as to how this can be better than the enormous pressure and temperature power of the stylus doing its thing.

I can hear the benefits too and I'm as cloth-eared as they come. The stylus can pick up loads of crap that is eliminated totally as far as the eye can see. Makes a massive difference to static too, new records lift the hair on my arm from 6" away, nothing from one that's been cleaned.

Clearly off the pace here, but those 90s Rega manuals that said "by and large, record cleaning is overdone" have a powerful hold over me.

The point is that the stylus doesn't have to clean the record, resulting in less stylus wear, less record wear and less obtrusive noise as the stylus pushes the dirt out of the way. I never used to clean records, and I think some of the methods are unnecessarily complex. But I wouldn't be without a good wet cleaning machine. With some records being as expensive as they are keeping them in good nick is important to me, and I've also noticed greatly increased stylus life, not to mention better sound. The Rega way is fine providing the vinyl is in at least reasonably clean condition to begin with, you don't mind excessive crackling, and you can afford to wear a stylus more frequently.

The risk is the stylus actually welds crud to the groove-wall rather than pushes it aside, plus there are all manner of things in the grooves of new records from mould-release agent through to the statically attracted dust one finds with card inners etc. To put it another way if I didn’t have a good record cleaner I’d have given up vinyl years ago!

Another factor is if one is even remotely serious about vinyl they are going to be hunting down first pressings and other sought after pressings that one cannot buy new. As such you have no control over what crud is in the grooves, only over whether or not one wants to get it out. I do!

Obviously not all vinyl is recoverable, but many of my best sounding vintage pressings were absolutely filthy when I first found them. I really can’t recommend a good record cleaner highly enough. One of the most revealing tests is to play a brand new record, clean it, and play it again. It sounds a lot better, and not just from a surface noise perspective, more like a cartridge upgrade, i.e. just more solid and believable.

Have cleaned about 3000 records with an Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner, and am very happy with the results. I really like the ease of use.

Still have my old Nitty Gritty, which I occasionally use along with a cheap Dual DD turntable. For particularly cruddy records, I’ll wash and scrub them on the Dual, then move to the Nitty Gritty for vacuuming. From there, I’ll toss them in the AD for a short cycle clean and dry.

Disco Antistat manual wet cleaning machine, £50. Wash a few discs at a time, I usually do 8 or 10, wash again with the machine in pure deionized water with 1 drop of photo wetting agent or rinse aid dishwasher potion. Buy the water from a decent motor factor its only a few quid for 5 litres. I have been working through my records in this way for the past 3 years or so. Results have been really good, some 40 year old discs I had pensioned off and "replaced" with CDs have been transformed, the CD doesnt get played now. I always clean new LPs too, before playing, but after a close visual scrutiny, incase they have to go back. I find that 95% of my LPs cleaned are now almost silent regarding surface noise, except of course when there is physical damage to the groove. Cleaning wont transform a damaged or poorly pressed disc that has crap imbedded in the vinyl. I have no static issues. I've used Nagaoka inner sleeves for years. I clean the stylus every now and then with an AT vibrating pad cleaner gadget that I've had for ever.

Ultrasonic Velvet Vortex here & DIY fluid. IPA+ Distilled water+ Ifotel at 30 degrees does a great job.
I've come from using Knosti with 2 baths, but there was often white crud left on the needle. Ultrasonic's reduced surface noise I often double take I've dropped the needle!

https://velvetvortex.com

Clearaudio Smart Matrix for the last couple of years before that the equally effective but much noisier Moth RCM for some 17 years.

Slightly off topic for a second, but AudioT in Brentwood is also closing down. Tough times in the HiFi Retail market.

Another user of the pro-ject vcs here, I use The Right One fluid and give them a right good scrub with the brush in all directions, it is offensively noisy though IMO.

It's certainly got me considering a more expensive/quieter machine in the future though, I wouldn't be without a RCM after owning one.

Ultrasonic RCM 1st clean & 2nd clean on Loricraft PRC6 " belt & braces " once done clean for decades
This is what I'm doing. I've used my Loricraft PRC3 for years and been pleased with it. I recently took the ultrasonic plunge, I now have a Kirmuss US device, I think rinse and dry with the PRC3. I'm stunned by the lift in sound quality (I don't mean the relative lack of clicks & pops) . The cleaning though is a real ball ache.

advertisement

Back