advertisement

Housing market

A trend of moving to rural and coastal areas is fading and affordable towns are becoming more of a draw, according to property website Zoopla.

Demand for larger, more remote homes surged during the pandemic as people looked to live and work out of town.

But the property portal suggested that trend had run out of steam.

Chris Druce, senior research analyst at estate agent Knight Frank, said: "After a frenetic period for the country market, city living has come back strongly as workers have returned to the office, and the lifting of pandemic restrictions has boosted the appeal of urban living."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64052031

A trend of moving to rural and coastal areas is fading and affordable towns are becoming more of a draw, according to property website Zoopla.

Demand for larger, more remote homes surged during the pandemic as people looked to live and work out of town.

But the property portal suggested that trend had run out of steam.

Chris Druce, senior research analyst at estate agent Knight Frank, said: "After a frenetic period for the country market, city living has come back strongly as workers have returned to the office, and the lifting of pandemic restrictions has boosted the appeal of urban living."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64052031
Could have seen this one coming. People have been fleeing the country for decades because the better paid jobs were in towns and cities and increasing affluence meant that people had money to spend on entertainment, which you don't get in the sticks. Then the pandemic came along and cities were miserable places with nowhere to go, we all wanted rural housing because that came with gardens and outdoor space. Now the towns have opened up again and we're all bored with the garden, guess what.

Could have seen this one coming. People have been fleeing the country for decades because the better paid jobs were in towns and cities and increasing affluence meant that people had money to spend on entertainment, which you don't get in the sticks. Then the pandemic came along and cities were miserable places with nowhere to go, we all wanted rural housing because that came with gardens and outdoor space. Now the towns have opened up again and we're all bored with the garden, guess what.

I would say that people have become more fickle than they used to be.

DV

I would say that people have become more fickle than they used to be.

DV
Maybe. Maybe also it's driven by affluence. I've seen a few people buy houses, spend a fair bit of money and then move to somewhere bigger/better/nicer area in a very short space of time, often less than a year, because they can afford to. If you can't afford to move around, you won't. You make do.

Quarterly MTD reporting for landlords from next April. What a PITA and a completely unrepresentative timescale of how income and expenditure works with rental property. Ultimately it’s more unnecessary cost to be passed on to tenants.

Quarterly MTD reporting for landlords from next April. What a PITA and a completely unrepresentative timescale of how income and expenditure works with rental property. Ultimately it’s more unnecessary cost to be passed on to tenants.
Try premium bonds if you're not happy. You might get something for nowt that way.

Try premium bonds if you're not happy. You might get something for nowt that way.

I’m used to quarterly returns but most won’t be and this will be an additional admin overhead and cost which will get passed on to tenants. Plenty of landlords are running for the hills so it seems the govt and anti landlord types are getting what they want in any case.

I’m used to quarterly returns but most won’t be and this will be an additional admin overhead and cost which will get passed on to tenants. Plenty of landlords are running for the hills so it seems the govt and anti landlord types are getting what they want in any case.

How does this work for some dude in Hong Kong that owns a couple of flats in Farringdon? Is his rental income taxable in the UK?

whats mtd ? If its digital tax returns its been delayed and only affects those with rental income over 50k

Tenants' salaries rose by 12.5% on average in 2022 -- less than the average rise in rental costs over the same period.

Goodlord Rental Index | Goodlord

That being said, I have no idea whether Goodlord's database is well constructed, but it is suggestive at least.

What it could show is that those who didn't see an income rise of 11% had to fall out of the private rental market and so would be excluded from that data.

I'm a great believer in P.B.s, though prizes were a bit sporadic and low value for a few recent years. However, since two hikes; to 2.25% and now 3%, things are really picking up. Well over a grand in 3 months; tax free and absolutely no hassle. Oh, and that anticipation for the next monthly prize draw......!

Do wish they'd up the ante as £50K has been the max for quite a long time now.

advertisement

Back