advertisement

Horns: Klipsch vs. Altec vs. JBL vs. ???

Holy smokes. What a great thread this is. And what a wonderful historical repository of the wisdom of Markus Sauer and Joel, painter of dragons, maker of mirrors.

And I think it's pretty fun that I've ended up with some of the equipment recommended on this thread, such as:
- still have the LP12/Ittok
- still have the cd 3.5
- now running Garrard 401 with a 12 inch arm
- now running Quad 2805s with a quad 909 power amp
- running a tube preamp
- running JBL 4430s with an 8 watt 300B SE power amp
- and streaming through a tube-based DAC

And considering trying out some Altecs... Just sayin' - It's a journey

I think what is clear in this original thread is the premium quality state of the art components used in the Vitavox, Altec, JBL,TAD and Klipsch that have remained so for decades.
My own experience of owning studio built JBL/Westlake TM1's from Plutosound studios and the eyewatering costs of restoring them was they are just incredible, unforgettable but given their enormous size unhouseable;-)

This, and possibly some other threads, was responsible for reawakakening my interest in vintage JBL's that was dormant since my teens. Via a pair of L65A's I ended up with a pair of 4331B's. They are still around, the only snagg being that I have developed tinnitus and can't use them as intended. God, it was 15 years ago, time flies.

Anybody interested in horns should check out the work of Joseph Crowe. His horns probably represent the state of the art irrespective of price.

And I think it's pretty fun that I've ended up with some of the equipment recommended on this thread, such as:
- still have the LP12/Ittok
- still have the cd 3.5
- now running Garrard 401 with a 12 inch arm
- now running Quad 2805s with a quad 909 power amp
- running a tube preamp
- running JBL 4430s with an 8 watt 300B SE power amp
- and streaming through a tube-based DAC

And considering trying out some Altecs... Just sayin' - It's a journey
4430's...running mine with a silver/copper/cotton rewired MC2 4 channel amp in biamp/biwire mode, silver traffo pre. Out of preference - have various other amps I could be using, including valve, but this is the dogs!

advertisement

Back