advertisement

Hi Fi Wigwam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh ecky thump!

Tried to log on this morning, and no Wam.

Crikey, bit of a surprise but not totally unexpected I guess.

It was/is an interesting place full of diverse characters, just like real life, some get on and some don't.

I will miss it while it's not online.

I hope some sort 'Pie show' can go ahead, as my Dad and I always look forward to showing something affordable.

James and the mods, thank you for the fun, let there be some more!

:)

Ok,i can see your point.I was just looking at it from a simplistic point of view-the 'Wam with no swearing is better than no 'Wam.Obviously there was a bigger issue that James has elaborated on.

Yeh. Hadn't been on the wam for a short while so I missed the latest diatribes.

Seems like the man was doing his best to deal with an irritation and was spanked for his troubles.

Still, bugger Google if at all possible.

A non specific whinge on their part is quite absurd and out of place for a forum the tiny size of the wam.
If it's at all possible to have nothing to do wth them then all to the good.

If not, then sterilise the wam. But it wont be the wam.

Often the case that anything that is free or cheap, gets abused as it's not "valued" by the users.

When, if, it returns, can I suggest:
We all pay a reasonable annual sub. The size means it shouldn't be a labour of love.
Mods operate a "sin bin" system. Works in rugby. Will stop those big forwards chucking their weight about.

Often the case that anything that is free or cheap, gets abused as it's not "valued" by the users.

When, if, it returns, can I suggest:
We all pay a reasonable annual sub. The size means it shouldn't be a labour of love.
Mods operate a "sin bin" system. Works in rugby. Will stop those big forwards chucking their weight about.

Good idea. Though lots of us payed already.

And of course, to some, paying means a sense of entitlement to abuse.

Can't win eh? :):)

Serious point now, although it has come up and been discussed before on the Wam (hasn't everything?):

There has been a few mutterings on 'cliques' and 'bullying' again, on the Wam. The first point to make is that there is no clique or bullies. I've met a lot of the old timers in person, and many more Wammers at Scalford over 3 years. There is no clique.

There is a certain sense of humour on the Wam that takes some time to tune into. Not everyone wants to, not everyone will, and not everyone is capable of getting it, but here's the thing: The Wam is not there to conform to your expectations of what a forum should do for you. The Wam just is. It is a function of James, the AUP and the moderating team, and nothing else.

I hope the Wam gets back on its feet. I'd pay £20 for 2 years membership, hell, I'd probably pay £50 tbh, although I respect that's not within everyone's means. Google are breathtakingly arrogant ****s, aren't they?

No bullying as such(tho if you found yourself subjected to this,surely you would just find a forum that suits?) But occasionally people get a hard time.BUT,if you are going to suggest that carpet-gripper can affect sound,then off course people will take a shot or 2!

For all those who have posted on here,aos and ZG,complaining about the nature on the 'Wam,remember one thing-no-one forced you to post on there...!

I was very sad to see the 'Wam closed when I woke up yesterday (hungover after seeing Foo Fighters at MK Bowl). I haven't been on much over the last week and totally missed the entire Google/Swear filter episode. I had no idea what was going on.

I can totally understand James' frustrations and what brought him to take such drastic action. It's such a shame that it came to this.

No-one has any right to tell James how to run Wigwam - his name is the one above the door after all. I am pretty disgusted that some member's vitriolic comments led to this.

I really hope the Wam comes back, even if in a slightly diluted fashion. I am a member of a few hi-fi forums, but have learnt far more from James' forum than any other. The bakeoffs/social side is fantastic too. Please bring it back.

Google are breathtakingly arrogant ****s, aren't they?

While I agree, they are the ones paying money, and can decide whether the product is something they want to pay for. However, I fully concur with the spirit of your post - any blandification of the internet to fit in with corporately-decided norms is deeply depressing. I too would rather pay more to be able to say what I like (within reasonable bounds, and the law, natch), but I don't know how much a forum costs to run, or how much Google ads pay.

I'm not a frequent Forum user (let's face it, when you like the noises you get and you've no great desire to involve yourself in the law of diminishing returns to improve them, what's left to say?), but I was sad to see HFWW go down. It and PFM are the only hi-fi forums I ever look at, and they do indeed have different characters. I know James has put a lot of work into HFWW, apparently for precious little thanks.

Not that I would seriously suggest it, but perhaps the Wammers could return and repopulate the land from whence they came - HFC. Both HFWW and Groovehandle (later ZeroGain and now Something Else Entirely) sprang from HFC dropping its bundle at one time or another. HFC is now deathly silent, which I think it deserves to be, given the complete lack of encouragement from the mag, which never really appreciated what it had. At the time, I wrote The BoudaciouSSian Rhapsody, named for SSM, one of HFWW's more, er, colourful characters - how times change:

Is this the real life?
To feed my fantasy?
Is HiFi Wigwam
My escape from reality?
Discard your fears
Open your ears, and see
I’m just a poor boy, I need no symphonies
Because I’m opera-boy (bit buffo)
My brow’s high, theirs is low,
Anyway, the discs spin, doesn’t really matter to me,
To me

Mama, just pitched a tent
Banged the pegs into the ground
Better to discuss good sound
Mama, life’s again begun
Since from HFC we’ve now all gone away
Mama, bo-oh-oh-orrr-
-ring that Forum had become
Sometimes I wonder why we tried at all
Carry on, carry on, nothing really mattered.

Too late, my time has come
In the tepee I’m inclined
Contributions so refined
To give everybody, I just had to go
So I turn out lights at “Choice” and go away
Mama, no mo-oh-oh-ore
Don’t want it to die
But sometimes wish it hadn’t been born at all.

I see a little shrivelled Forum deathly quiet
HiFi Choice, HiFi Choice, ne’er again shall we tango
No more cable fighting, really not enlightening me

HifiWigwam, HifiWigwam
Go figure-oh-oh-oh-oh
I’m not a sceptic, so Jampal wants me
He’s not a sceptic, he’s barking, don’t you see?
Give him a life from Choice monstrosity

‘Wam is yes, “Choice” is no, I intend to go
BodaciouSS, No! We will not let you go!
Let me go!
BodaciouSS, no! We will let you go!
Let me go!
Will not let you go! Let me go!
Will not let you go! Let me go!
No,no,no,no,no,no,no!
Mama mia,mama mia,mama mia, let me go!
BodaciouSS rejects the devil known as HFC, - FC, -FCCCCCCCCC…

So you think you can own me? You I’m gonna defy!
In the Wigwam I’m queen and there gonna thrive
Oh, baby – my pitch queered here, baby
Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here.

Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters, nothing matters back at HFC,

Anyway, the discs spin....

Terrible shame. Reminds me of the occasion when I popped out of a wedding reception to get a couple of pints in a pub; came back 2 hours later and found the whole thing had stopped because the bride's and groom's family had had a punch up. Felt quite guilty and slightly miffed I had missed it.

Not at all IMO, they have the right to define what type of platform their adverts appear on, it is up to the forum owner if they choose to agree to the policy. If not they'll lose the ad revenue. I find that completely fair, and seeing what happened at HFWW I will be turning the swear filter on here - I'm just not be prepared to gamble a significant part of my annual income on something so utterly trivial and inconsequential as allowing bad langue (that I don't like reading anyway) appear on my site.

Tony.

Good to hear from you James. I'm sure whichever way the coin falls/lands it will be the right descision. Many happy hours spent on the 'Wam', I've laughed a lot, I've been appalled by some contributions (some of them my own), but have always been entertained and have gleened an increased knowledge base of the areas of hifi that interest me.

Now, if you can remove your head from your orifice following all the accolades received and allow me to brown nose you - A very genuine thank you for your continued efforts during my period of membership to keep the Wam on the straight and narrow. Not an easy job and thankless as some posts have proven.

Very best wishes.

John ( Johnny S )

Tony - it is very good of you to host the Wammers, a big thank you.

Not at all IMO, they have the right to define what type of platform their adverts appear on, it is up to the forum owner if they choose to agree to the policy. If not they'll lose the ad revenue. I find that completely fair, and seeing what happened at HFWW I will be turning the swear filter on here - I'm just not be prepared to gamble a significant part of my annual income on something so utterly trivial and inconsequential as allowing bad langue (that I don't like reading anyway) appear on my site.

Tony.

I honestly had no idea that there was money to be made from these sorts of forums.

I just thought it was the internet equivalent of running a 5-a side football team or other social club. As a regular visitor here I hadn't been aware of any sense of corporate advertising etc - maybe thats down to my adblocker?

AV Forums is obviously a different kettle of fish, clearly very advertiser focussed and is also huge in comparison to PFM/ HWW etc, so can undertand that it is a 'business' as oppossed to a 'hobby'.

Tony.

I entirely agree

Serious point now, although it has come up and been discussed before on the Wam (hasn't everything?):

There has been a few mutterings on 'cliques' and 'bullying' again, on the Wam. The first point to make is that there is no clique or bullies. I've met a lot of the old timers in person, and many more Wammers at Scalford over 3 years. There is no clique.

There is a certain sense of humour on the Wam that takes some time to tune into. Not everyone wants to, not everyone will, and not everyone is capable of getting it, but here's the thing: The Wam is not there to conform to your expectations of what a forum should do for you. The Wam just is. It is a function of James, the AUP and the moderating team, and nothing else.

I hope the Wam gets back on its feet. I'd pay £20 for 2 years membership, hell, I'd probably pay £50 tbh, although I respect that's not within everyone's means.

+1

Actually we have no idea. They didn't explain what their problem was (see James' post #275). However, as others have pointed out, if they think that they will improve the hit rate on their ads by watering the Wam down then I think they have a poor understanding of the business they're in. Indeed the immediate consequence of their action has been to shut down the forum and reduce the hit rate there to zero. Ironically if you go to the Wigwam site now there is nothing to see. But the ads are still running ... :rolleyes:

VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back