advertisement

Hernia op recovery

I’ve had a hernia since last November saw the consultant in January this year and told me 3 to 4 months waiting list. I had a text that a pre med has been booked for me on Thursday 15th July. Unfortunately was told that I could be a few months yet for key hole surgery.

Regards,

Martin

Anyone got further recovery updates? My referral has apparently been sent to a private hospital nearby but hasn’t been accepted yet. I should hear something soon. Dreading it, tbh.

It wasn't too bad for me, inguinal mesh and i was back at work cautiously 6 weeks later.

Did a few walks after about three weeks but nothing strenuous.

The bruising was amazing though, nearly as good as when i was run over. No photos, sorry!

Sad piece on Itn news about 72 year old man with triple hernia, poor chap.

Have a friend who get s repeated hernias on an old scar line.

He was operated on leaving a scar from sternum to bladder and it's left a weak line that's popped 6 times now.

Update on my bilateral open inguinal repair in mid Feb. Very fortunate to get fixed on my wife's private insurance as I know the NHS lists are endless. Having elective surgery during a pandemic was an experience and a good one at that.
No painkillers and no pain, just mild discomfort. First week, pottering around the house, only able to sleep on back. Had to have assistance getting out of bed. WFH was possible for short video calls. Second week walking 5 miles a day. I decided to wait 8 weeks before running or cycling and built distance up gradually using a Boris bike ( step through rather than leg over ) I didn't push anything and stopped when I felt any discomfort. I suspect I took things too easily but better safe... The stomach takes sometime to get used to being rearranged and I felt bloated for months. My surgeon said I could jog or ride a bike the next day, I certainly didn't feel like doing so and if anything it was stomach discomfort and fear of rupturing the wound that stopped me.
The repaired area gradually has settled down. For a couple of months it felt as if a finger sized object had been stitched inside but as the repair progresses this subsides.
Almost 4 months on, I've been able to do heavy lifting and push those big gears on the bike without thinking about it. I felt a slight twinge last weekend when I went out for a 5 hour hilly ride with club mates. That wasn't really an issue but I decided against a longer ride this weekend.
All in all, I'm very satisfied with my op and the surgeon was excellent. Very little bruising but after 4 or 5 days those parts that you don't take photos of went black for a day or two. My op was on the scar line left from when I had hernia op as a baby @ 6 months. The surgeon thought it best to use the same lines as they had lasted for many a decade before failing.

Seems incisional hernias are more common than I thought, I have a few small hernias (only size of 50p piece) and one large one that follows the midline from sternum to just below navel following line of previous surgeries.
Tbh I doubt it will ever be treated, it’s not angry, only hurts for short intense periods, I’ve had too much surgery, age, long queues, many people far worse than me, and lastly the extended periods in hospital and a perforated bowel which resulted in a scene out of alien mean I have a near hysterical reaction to admission for anything. PTSD sucks.
Good luck to all.

@Sean K

How long til you could drive, walk, etc?

I left it about 12-14 days before I drove, to be on the safe side, but think I would have been OK before then. Was able to walk a couple of miles a day after about a week I think, then built it up slowly. Girlfriend was wonderful lifting anything heavier than a few Kg for the first few days. I just took the opportunity to listen to a lot of music, watch TV and take naps for most of the first week. All I had on discharge (day after surgery) was paracetamol and ibuprofen, which I kept dosed up with for about a week. No pain since coming off them.

At the risk of TMI, the he most strenuous thing I did early on was (gentle) horizontal gymnastics after about a week, with no ill effects. I was probably more cautious than I needed to be about going for a decent stomp up hills, as I had to fund the surgery myself and didn't want to screw anything up, but I haven't felt restricted in any way for weeks now and it's nice no longer looking like I have a third, undescended bollock. I'm just sorry I waited five years of to get it done.

Mine was unilateral inguinal lap mesh repair, is that what you're having?

advertisement

Back