advertisement

Hermes have 'lost' my parcel

My longest wait up till now for an RM delivery in the UK has been 15 days, that was for a 1st class parcel signed for, got here eventually. That is why I decided to only use RM Next Day by 1pm which is only a few quid more than 1st class signed for but got there within 24 hrs on each occasion bar one, that was up in Aberdeen though & the delivery regime up there is apparently somewhat different once it lands in the area.

All in all though it has to be said that RM have been somewhat deluged recently.

The packaging looks completely unsuitable. This is not defending Hermes. However, that packaging is dreadful.

The packaging looks completely unsuitable. This is not defending Hermes. However, that packaging is dreadful.
I tend to agree, but it was more abut the way it was dropped off that was in keeping with the Hermes reputation. Plus they accepted it in the first place and it presumably got damaged at some point on its journey?

I once bought a drive unit from a local Gumtree ad. I think it was a B&W tweeter and when I went to collect it it transpired it had some damage but still worked.
The guy had bought a pair of 603 speakers on Gumtree and paid by bank transfer and the seller had wrapped one layer of corrugated cardboard around each cabinet and shipped both speakers the length of the country!
Every panel was damaged and all the bass drivers were punctured. One tweeter dome was completely gone and the other somehow just had a small crease in it.
It was good enough to get my pair up and running thankfully but I guess in this instance both the seller and the courier were to blame!

I do believe that many people don’t really think about packing. I’ve sold over 1000 items on eBay including amps, ceramics and glass. I’ve never had a breakage. However, I double box, use loads of bubble wrap and expanded polystyrene. Half the problem is people posting with a single layer box like this item. Ask yourself, do I think this is suitable to survive poor handling?

I do believe that many people don’t really think about packing. I’ve sold over 1000 items on eBay including amps, ceramics and glass. I’ve never had a breakage. However, I double box, use loads of bubble wrap and expanded polystyrene. Half the problem is people posting with a single layer box like this item. Ask yourself, do I think this is suitable to survive poor handling?

I also pack exceptionally well but cannot take into account the numbskulls at DHL who open a packet for inspection, rip off all the bubble wrap, leave out half the internal wadding, stick a bit of tape on it and send it on. Result, 4 damaged drive units.
Customer initially stated damage due to poor packing but then I saw the photos.....wrecked!

Very true. Also perhaps a way to shift a slightly foxed item that your description might have airbrushed a bit. Pack it a little, er, loose, and let the buyer claim off the courier.

No that I know anybody who might contemplate such a practice, I should stress!

That’s a possibility. I just know that I photograph and time stamp everything as I pack. I do this to prevent damage by courier and protect myself if the buyer suggests and damage.

Just to complete the story, 8 days later, Amazon have finally given up and admitted the loss, I have a refund coming and found another similar Mic, 2 miles away sitting on the shelves at Currys. hahahahaha. Serves me right. So 40 quid richer but with a few extra white hairs.
(That's a lie, they were, already, all white) .

I told one company I buy from that I’d not buy anything more from them unless they stopped sending stuff via Hermes, so they now send it via Royal Mail.

Mick
I think everyone has had experience of lost parcels no matter who the courier. I've had more things lost through Royal Mail than any other company.
I've never had any problem claiming refund from Amazon.

I think everyone has had experience of lost parcels no matter who the courier. I've had more things lost through Royal Mail than any other company.
I've never had any problem claiming refund from Amazon.
It was never missing items with me, but I had several, in quick succession, thrown over my side gate, over those of neighbours, left in the front gardens of people many houses along the street forcing me, several times, to go from door to door to track the parcels down after I’d supposedly signed for them. Absolutely abysmal service.

Mick

I ordered two pans from John Lewis who use Hermes for delivery, Hermes delivered after the agreed delivery date so I refused delivery. Told John Lewis that Hermes had not formed part of the agreement when I placed the order so asked for a refund for the pans, then closed my John Lewis account .

Oh this is about the driver concerned, no doubt in my mind at all, but Hermes response is so poor as to be non existent. Yesterday, they sent me an automated email asking me how I thought they had done responding to my contact with their chat bot.

I have replied. But only to make myself feel a bit better.

More useless couriers... Parcelforce this time, using an Arnold Clark hire van... turned up and knocked on my door to collect a heavy receiver and by the time I had door open he'd got back in the van, completely ignored my waving at him with both arms and my mate across the road (next to van) yelling at him and just drove off.... If he turns up again later he'll be told what a useless cvnt he is to his face.
The receiver was here for repairs to damage caused by another courier! UPS.

advertisement

Back